New Mexico bear new guy

I'm wanting to try for new Mexico bear next season (2025). New to Western hunting in general, been hunting east tx my whole life. I've started rucking and doing some hikes in Arkansas just trying to get in shape for it. Anyways I think I've narrowed it down to trying for the Pecos wilderness area in the Santa Fe national forest. From what I understand there's a 2 week any methods season at the end of August and I'm thinking about going during that time frame next year. My plan is to find a glassing point and pretty much wing it from there. I guess the point of this post is just to get any general tips I can thanks!

Mojave

WKR
I think you can use a thermal spotter as long as you are only doing it during the day time. NM is one of the only western states like this. Call the wardens to make sure.

I can only speak for CO bear hunting, but if you can find the food, you will find the bears. I ended up killing a bear this year just by glassing food sources. The berries on this one hill were a lot further along (in terms of ripeness) than any of the immediate surrounding hills. Pay close attention as you hike into your spot, looking for the acorns/berries/grass or whatever they should be eating that time of year.

Not sure if NM is vastly different, but I have had success locating bears this way.

OP
jadams0509
Yessir that is my go to plan, I've just never really been in that type of country so the whole thing will be a learning experience and I'm not expecting much really. I have been trying to pay attention in the mountains of Arkansas to what I can find. I've ran across a few berry bushes and tried to note what kind of stuff they're growing in but idk if that will translate in New Mexico or not