New Kuiu vs Used MR

Ben A

FNG
Like all new hunters, I'm eyeball deep in pack buying information and opinions. So why not add some more.

Assuming the same price, would you buy a new Kuiu Icon/Ultra or a used Mystery Ranch? Looking at the Metcalf or similar size pack.

Bcaulder

WKR
Like all new hunters, I'm eyeball deep in pack buying information and opinions. So why not add some more.

Assuming the same price, would you buy a new Kuiu Icon/Ultra or a used Mystery Ranch? Looking at the Metcalf or similar size pack.
I can't comment on the Kuiu, though I love their camo, but the MR is a flagship pack. I have the Sawtooth and it is outstanding. Personally I would lean in on the MR. Their customer service is also outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Used MR as long as it’s in good shape. I’ve found over time that it’s best leaving the pack making to folks who specialize in packs and the clothes making to folks who specialize in clothing. Kuiu doesn’t make a bad pack necessarily but it’s not on the same level with MR, Kifaru, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
From my experience with both packs, I prefer the Kuiu Icon Pro. I've been using the Icon Pro since they were first released in about 2014 or 2015. I bought a MR Metcalf last spring to try out. I trained with it for about a month in early summer, and I was really disappointed. The belt on the GL frame was the biggest disappointment. It would not stay in place regardless of how I adjusted the frame/pack. It would slide down and I would end up with most of the wt on my shoulders instead of my hips. The quality of the MR seemed good, but the frame did not work well for me, even with 40-50 lbs. Seems like a lot of people recommend one pack over another, without having any experience with either. The Kuiu Icon Pro will haul more than you physically can and will do it year after year. With that said, you will need to know how to adjust it to fit your body and you will need to spend time with it on your back loaded up so you can get used to packing wt.

MtGomer

WKR
I have used both quite a bit and would pick the kuiu hands down. MR makes a solid pack, overbuilt in my opinion, but I find it extremely uncomfortable and the straps and webbing excessive.
MR probably beats kuiu in the full it full of heavy shit and throw it off the mountain category, but I find the kuiu so far ahead of MR in comfort.

I own neither currently and have a Stone Glacier that I love.

I started out with a KUIU 5200. It was a nice pack with some decent storage options but that sucker was noisy as can be in the woods. I switched over to MR Metcalf this year. Have only gotten out a couple times turkey hunting with it but there is a very noticeable difference between the two. A little less storage in the MR, but happy with the purchase.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the gohunt backpack torture test. The KUIU didn't stand up that well compared to the mystery ranch. I ended up getting the MR Sawtooth 80 based on the price and the gohunt guys review. I had a budy that has the KUIU ICON PRO and it felt alright until i put some weight in the bag.

Kuiu can't handle the weight comfortably like MR in my opinion. Don't try to skimp on a few ounces in a pack, you'll pay for it in pain/discomfort.

While not on your list, also take a look at Kifaru, thier packs are bomb proof like MR.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would buy the pack that beat suits your needs for 90% of your activities with it. Packing heavy weight sucks and it doesn’t matter which pack is on your back, heavy is heavy. If you pack heavy a lot during the course of the year verse packing heavy a few times a year, that may change how you approach your pack purchase.

mvrk28

WKR
Live my Kuiu Icon pro. I run a 5200 for longer trips, 3200 for weekends and an Ultra 2200 as a day pack.

vthokee

WKR
I would suggest to get on YouTube and watch the backpack torture test that Gohunt does. They use several pack manufacturers including two that you are discussing. IMO I would go with the mystery ranch.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest to get on YouTube and watch the backpack torture test that Gohunt does. They use several pack manufacturers including two that you are discussing. IMO I would go with the mystery ranch.

That video is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen someone put out on YouTube. That single video made me think those GoHunt guys are a bunch of idiots.

slick

WKR
OP- my vote is for the MR over Kuiu.

I’ve owned MR and SG. MR is a bombproof pack, slightly heavier than some other offerings, but isn’t going to fail on you. And they’ve addressed their weight in their most recent offering (Guide Light Frame) I used a Metcalf for 2 hunting seasons and one field (work season). It held up perfectly fine to 80+ backpacking days, and over 150 total days outside. Packed critters, traps, sandbags, plate weights, etc.

That being said, one of my hunting buddies who spends less than 10 days afield a year bought the Kuiu. It works for what he needs it for. We swapped packs while packing out a cow elk this fall, and I have nothing bad to say about the Kuiu. I just don’t like it’s smaller buckles.

If you seem to be rough on gear in general, and don’t mind a couple extra oz. I’d go MR, and if you find it uncomfortable you can always resell it and pick up a Kuiu for cheaper (whether new or on sale).

Also- as far as that video goes. No one rips and cranks on zippers like that in the field. Brady’s body language throughout the video appeared to signal “this is super dumb” and I wouldn’t base your decision on that video.

Last edited:
That video is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen someone put out on YouTube. That single video made me think those GoHunt guys are a bunch of idiots.
Can't really call that one a test, more of which one won't break if it gets blown up. They didn't even try them on lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk