New Kifaru Megatarp

cmeier117

WKR
Is it possible to pitch the Megatarp and Supertarp with trekking poles shorter than 52" and just deal with a lower ceiling, or is this length absolutely essential in pitching the shelter correctly? I'm wondering if my new 120cm (about 47") Z-poles would cut it or if I would need something a little longer.

I am going to play with this tonight and see for my self. I am curious. I think it would work just fine. But someone else may say differently.

Ridge Ghost,

A couple short pieces of bamboo or PVC pipe that you can stick the pointy end of your pole into is a cheap and lightweight way to get the extra height (5") you need without buying new poles.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I am going to play with this tonight and see for my self. I am curious. I think it would work just fine. But someone else may say differently.

with the super without the annex you can pitch the thing any way and at any height you want. With a set in door like the annex you have to do it pretty close to by the book.

Might be questionable with the built in door but who knows. One of the reasons i got the paratarp over the paratipi is it seems to be a little easier to pitch on not so even ground.

Larry a shotgun shell works well too for coveringing trekking pole tips. 12ga fits over my poles perfectly.

ken

FNG
Ditto what Larry said. PVC has been used for pole extensions and it supposedly works well.

There is some fiddle room with the Annex, but not a whole lot. I have the best luck sticking close to the specified pole height. That being said I like to prop up the non stove side of the ST/Annex when running the stove in warmer weather. It makes it easier to ingress/egress. I roll and tie up the Annex on the propped up side and just use the pegged side to support the stove pipe.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can set the Mega up lower than 52, but the sewn in door will not be perfect. It will depend on how low you wanna go, but you'll get a system once you get the hang of it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use 120cm zpoles for the supertarp, you just need to add a rock of about 4 inches below the pole. For the rear of the tarp you break down one section and you are good to go.

slim9300

WKR
You can use 120cm zpoles for the supertarp, you just need to add a rock of about 4 inches below the pole. For the rear of the tarp you break down one section and you are good to go.

Thanks for the info. I have the 130 cm Z-poles so I'm guessing they will be close to perfect.

BuckSnort

WKR

Kinda takes away from the ultra light method if you have to pack a 4" rock around with you... :)

whitingja

WKR
So I know it sounds sissyish, but where I hunt there are a crap load red ants. I would love to use the megatarp, but how can I remedy this problem? I can "man up", but even a man feels pain when red ants bite the crap out of you. Sugesstions? Is there a good bug repelant?

So I know it sounds sissyish, but where I hunt there are a crap load red ants. I would love to use the megatarp, but how can I remedy this problem? I can "man up", but even a man feels pain when red ants bite the crap out of you. Sugesstions? Is there a good bug repelant?

Sorry but sounds like its not wise to join the cool kid club and stick with a full enclosure floored shelter... least thats what I would do! :)

Mike

whitingja

WKR
Floored shelter is the way I have been going. Guess I will keep doing what works. Does the sawtooth have a floor? Do any of kifarus tents?

Jdog

WKR
sweet setup. That would make a sweet item to have on a sheep hunt for glassingin the rain or bivy shelter on the mtn.

millsms

FNG
Lol. I couldn't be comfortable in a 1-man tent if I was 5' 2" and sleeping in my living room.

The Mega Tarp with the Annex looks a tad smaller than my GT 4. That's about as small as I will go sharing a tent with another man. ;)

I run the Nallo 3 right now and i know what you mean. My brother has the Nallo GT 4, alot of space! My nallo works great and i like the abuse it can take but i might have to sell mine for the Megatarp and let my brother carry the weight with his Nallo :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't see why you couldn't invest in a floored nest of some kind to use with the mega tarp...we use the MLD duomid in our golite floorless tipis as well as the BCS...course it will increase the weight some, but it would give you a fully enclosed sleeping area....

slim9300

WKR
I run the Nallo 3 right now and i know what you mean. My brother has the Nallo GT 4, alot of space! My nallo works great and i like the abuse it can take but i might have to sell mine for the Megatarp and let my brother carry the weight with his Nallo :)

Yep. Nallo GT 4. I have had it for many years. It's the perfect tent for my partner and I plus I never worry about bad weather.

Last edited:
OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC01650.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01662.jpg