New Kifaru Megatarp

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks for the video... I have been racking my brain deciding on which shelter for my first lightweight floorless tent/tarp/tipi.. Thought I was set on the SL3 but this changes things... Is there much difference in setup times for the megatarp vs an SL3?

Edit: ...With a few velcro tabs and some lightweight mosquito netting for the open end this sure would be the ideal lightweight early season setup..

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cool can't wait for super tarps to come up for sale now in the classifieds :) the only thing I worry about is bugs with those floorless shelters, though an annex takes care of the sketters but what about ants and crawling ones?

If you're really worried about bugs then take some sevin dust in a zip-loc and sprinkle it in a line around the inside perimeter of the shelter. That'll keep them from crawling in. It's extra weight on the way in, but just an empty baggie to carry on the way out.

The mega looks good. I think it maximizes the space you can get from a trekking pole pitch without joining two poles together.

This thing is very big for one person and still has plenty of room for two no questions asked. With the guy outs on the sides making the walls nearly straight up and down gives excellent space.

slim9300

WKR
Slim, wouldn't you drop like 6lbs of your shelter weight? ;)

Not quite. :) The Nallo GT 4 is only 3.59 lbs. split between my partner and I. And I would be packing 2 pads like Aron if I went floorless along with the Annex and 10 stakes. I would probably end up shaving about 2 lbs. by making the switch.

The Megatarp has its place in my arsenal but it won't ever replace the Hilleberg.

Another option is to pack the Nallo GT 4 footprint and then leave the extra pad at home. That would require a few extra stakes but the floor would be the perfect size. I know this sounds like blasphemy to all you floorless advocates. Lol.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
I would still like to have a Nallo 2 or 3 gt at some point for real nasty weather. But my supertarp shipped yesterday. So depending on how that works this year I may get the mega for 2013.

slim9300

WKR
I would still like to have a Nallo 2 or 3 gt at some point for real nasty weather. But my supertarp shipped yesterday. So depending on how that works this year I may get the mega for 2013.

Let me know how you like it. Did you order a stove too?

cmeier117

WKR

No I ran out of money! ;) I will see how it goes without a stove this year and might get one next year. First year for floorless with my self and my hunting partner so we will see how it goes.

slim9300

WKR
No I ran out of money! ;) I will see how it goes without a stove this year and might get one next year. First year for floorless with my self and my hunting partner so we will see how it goes.

I know what you mean. I am leaking money like a sieve.

Thanks a lot. I'll let you be my test dummy. Jk! Lol.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
This shelter is intruiging to say the least.

I will have to see if I can get my hands on one. That looks like a lot of space for the weight.

dotman

WKR

Slim, I think you would really be amazed at the amount of room in the super tarp. The mega tarp is going to be huge! But this is also coming from the guy that went from a 1 man tent to a super tarp.

slim9300

WKR
Slim, I think you would really be amazed at the amount of room in the super tarp. The mega tarp is going to be huge! But this is also coming from the guy that went from a 1 man tent to a super tarp.

Lol. I couldn't be comfortable in a 1-man tent if I was 5' 2" and sleeping in my living room.

The Mega Tarp with the Annex looks a tad smaller than my GT 4. That's about as small as I will go sharing a tent with another man. ;)

cmeier117

WKR
Lol. I couldn't be comfortable in a 1-man tent if I was 5' 2" and sleeping in my living room.

The Mega Tarp with the Annex looks a tad smaller than my GT 4. That's about as small as I will go sharing a tent with another man. ;)

According to Hilleberg's website and the floor space of the Supertarp and annex. The Super tarp is bigger! But it is long and not as wide. But 6 feet wide is plenty for two guys. I was shocked at that when I looked at Hilleberg's website. So with the Mega tarp having vertical walls should be as much usable space if not more than the Nallo 4gt.

dotman

WKR

That's funny because last year I did set it up in my living room one night when momma was out :) When hunting I packed myself, pack and bow into it and talk about tight fitting but it worked :)

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
According to Hilleberg's website and the floor space of the Supertarp and annex. The Super tarp is bigger! But it is long and not as wide. But 6 feet wide is plenty for two guys. I was shocked at that when I looked at Hilleberg's website. So with the Mega tarp having vertical walls should be as much usable space if not more than the Nallo 4gt.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don't understand the problem with bugs or getting water inside. I have never used a tent with a floor. I have used a tarp of some kind for the last ten years from April to December! I have hunting partners that have tents with floors and I will say once they get water inside, it's a whole lot harder to get it dry than it is in a floor less shelter. Bugs can get into any tent. Your in the woods MAN UP!

I don't understand the problem with bugs or getting water inside. I have never used a tent with a floor. I have used a tarp of some kind for the last ten years from April to December! I have hunting partners that have tents with floors and I will say once they get water inside it's a whole lot harder to get it dry that it is in a floor less shelter. Bugs can get into any tent. Your in the woods MAN UP!

Haha, yeah I get it. I have a tarptent thats great when going up with buddies and/or my 3 y/o old. But I have been looking for another option for solo. I don't think I'm quite ready to go just bivy but I'm thinking the paratarp and a Ti ptarmigan with one of the bughood options. I keep thinking I need the annex but the point is to get really light so I imagine I would survive just fine with out it.

So anyone selling a kifaru paratarp/hootch with or without annex to get into the megatarp I may be interested.

Last edited: