New Kifaru Megatarp

JG358

WKR
Looks nice and roomy. Gonna have to settle for my supertarp this year.... Maybe next year.

Nice pics.

Curtis C

WKR
Mine should be here right about the time my back is ready for a few high mountain scouting trips. Pretty sure the wife will be ready to boot me outta the house about then too.

Cant wait, Curtis

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Mine came yesterday. I will be setting it up tomorrow to seal it.

slim9300

WKR
I took the plunge this morning. A last minute decision to ditch the Hilleberg is going to save my partner and I over 4 lbs. Now it's time to take care of business come September.

Aron, what would I do with all the extra money I would have if I didn't know you? ;)

cmeier117

WKR
I took the plunge this morning. A last minute decision to ditch the Hilleberg is going to save my partner and I over 4 lbs. Now it's time to take care of business come September.

Aron, what would I do with all the extra money I would have if I didn't know you? ;)

Slim,

what are you running under it if anything? You using a bivy?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Nick, Here you go.
[video=vimeo;41216093]http://vimeo.com/41216093[/video]

gethuntin

WKR
Just lookign at the megatarp is there any way to close the side thats not sewn/zippered without using an annex. Couldnt tell from pictures if there was enough material or another way to pitch to close of both ends without an annex. Or would it make the shelter to short?

slim9300

WKR
Just lookign at the megatarp is there any way to close the side thats not sewn/zippered without using an annex. Couldnt tell from pictures if there was enough material or another way to pitch to close of both ends without an annex. Or would it make the shelter to short?

It wouldn't be too short if you could find a way to do it. You would probably lose 2-3' of length though which means less space for your gear with two guys.

dotman

WKR

Haha and here I thought you would never go floorless :) Don't let Rory know, he keeps telling me a bear is going to snag me outta my super tarp, lol.

slim9300

WKR
Haha and here I thought you would never go floorless :) Don't let Rory know, he keeps telling me a bear is going to snag me outta my super tarp, lol.

My only "worry" is very poor weather (ie. 12" of snow or multiple days of rain) and not having a 4-season tent nor a stove to dry out my wet ass. Lol. I'm sure
we will be fine though. :)

dotman

WKR
My only "worry" is very poor weather (ie. 12" of snow or multiple days of rain) and not having a 4-season tent nor a stove to dry out my wet ass. Lol. I'm sure
we will be fine though. :)

Well now that you are on the floorless side you have to get a stove :) so far I like my ti-goat stove but it has barely been used since I have only had it a month but at 1lb 5oz it doesn't add much weight. If you get one you will only need a 4.5ft pipe.

slim9300

WKR
Well now that you are on the floorless side you have to get a stove :) so far I like my ti-goat stove but it has barely been used since I have only had it a month but at 1lb 5oz it doesn't add much weight. If you get one you will only need a 4.5ft pipe.

You are killing me. Lol. Some day soon I will get a stove. But when I do it will be a Kifaru. ;)

Curtis C

WKR

The closed end is a velcro closure. On my pitch the last few days the velcro would creep undone unless both loops were around the stake which wasn't easy to do from inside. I do suspect my pitch may be been slightly off causing this to happen.

You wont be able to close the end unless you have the annex or know someone handy with a sewing machine.

I am 6'1" and I fit between the trek poles with plenty of room so I doubt you will have a length issue if you closed off the end.

Curtis C

WKR
Anyone who ordered these received theirs yet? What do you think?

bbrown I spent the last 2 nights in the Megatarp. This shelter is very roomy especially when pitched with the sides guyed out. Very stable in some fairly stiff winds. We had rain most of Friday and the main interior of the tarp stayed dry. I did start having some moisture creep in but it never made it to any gear, I suspect this happens with any floor-less shelter in a good rainstorm. I did initially have a few low spots that started creeping pretty quickly until I pushed up a slight berm of 1" with my hand.

The guy out tabs are kinda hard to seal so I would spend some extra time there. I plan to seal all of those on the interior and exterior. Those are the only places I had any rain come in and is was very, very minimal

This is my first floor-less shelter(other than some wall tent experience) and it worked great. I did have some concerns going floor-less but this shelter put most of those to rest.

C