New Iron Will Arrows

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sponsored a university study this past year to gain a better scientific understanding of arrow flight with fixed blade broadheads including extensive computational fluid dynamic modeling as well as empirical testing. This study included Iron Will broadheads on the front and six of the top vanes in the industry on the back along with new designs. The new Iron Will Hybrid Hunter vane performed the best overall when they weighed accuracy, stability, drag, spin-up, wind drift, and sound. This vane was also a favorite of my testing. I decided to offer these to our customers in full length shafts as well as precision machine built arrows to provide the most accurate and forgiving arrow setup for our broadheads.

We start with a 5mm Easton Axis shaft which is made in the USA with their pultrusion process for inherently consistent mechanical properties. We then fletch three Iron Will Hybrid Hunter vanes at a consistent 3° right helical orientation. I worked with AAE to have these vanes manufactured for us and Easton to have them machine fletched.

Our cutting and squaring process is an industry first I believe. We have a machinist individually chucking up each arrow in a machining center and precisely cutting and squaring both ends of the shaft. This is something I've always wanted for myself to get the best nock to shaft to point alignment and consistent pressure from the string to the nock to the shaft from arrow to arrow. We also install the HIT inserts precisely in this machine.

We add AAE IP Nocks standard to our custom built arrows for excellent strength, consistency, and great string reaction which we have observed with high speed video.

On price, we are selling a dozen full length fletched shafts for $189.95. Machining the ends and adding components goes up from there. We will be selling the vanes and full length fletched shafts for those who want to completely or partially build their own arrows. For those that want to buy arrows completely built for them, we are now providing very accurate, forgiving, and consistent arrows for bowhunters.

https://ironwilloutfitters.com/products/custom-machine-built-arrows/

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Listen to the Kifarucast that dropped today to hear more.

Ok, $189 seems like a good deal fletched with those new vanes. Makes more sense than than what was in the other thread.
Do you anticipate the university results being posted or made public? The podcast was good, I am specifically interested in the sound part- how did these new hybrid hunters compare to max stealth for noise is what I’m interested in.

Have a notification set up for the vanes. I need to redo all my arrows this and was looking a trying something new again. Any idea when they might be in stock

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do plan to publish more data from the university study. It is still underway and I'm getting more data weekly,

The vane 40 packs should be available within 3 weeks, maybe sooner.

Would be curious to see how max hunter, max stealth, your hybrid hunter, and hybrid stealth (26) stacked up.

I saw a video of you with mfjj talking about the benefits of the higher hunter vane, though wonder why you went with the hybrid material over the existing max hunter.

Would be curious to see how max hunter, max stealth, your hybrid hunter, and hybrid stealth (26) stacked up.

I saw a video of you with mfjj talking about the benefits of the higher hunter vane, though wonder why you went with the hybrid material over the existing max hunter.
My guess would be stiffer material for less sound in flight. I like max hunters but went to stealths because they are so loud, definitely have a hiss.

I do plan to publish more data from the university study. It is still underway and I'm getting more data weekly,

The vane 40 packs should be available within 3 weeks, maybe sooner.
Perfect thank you bill

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The Max Hunter and our new Hybrid Hunter stabilize broadheads better (which improves accuracy) than all other vanes including the Max Stealth and Hybrid 23 in the University modeling and testing. Their testing also showed the Hybrid Hunter had slightly less drag, wind drift, and noise that the Max Hunter. Therefore, we chose to use it for these arrows.

The Max Hunter and our new Hybrid Hunter stabilize broadheads better (which improves accuracy) than all other vanes including the Max Stealth and Hybrid 23 in the University modeling and testing. Their testing also showed the Hybrid Hunter had slightly less drag, wind drift, and noise that the Max Hunter. Therefore, we chose to use it for these arrows.

Interesting. I understand what you have said about a taller vane haveing more leverage to stabilize. In my simple mind, wind drift would be a function of side profile surface area? And drag a function of front on surface area? (Height and amount of horizontal exposed from offset)

Is noise more so from material stiffness, or front on surface area?

TX_Diver

WKR
Bill, have you ditched the lighted nocks for hunting?

I've been using AAE IP nocks on my recurve and have had some of the .204 AAE IP nocks in my toolbox for a while that I haven't messed with yet. I'm considering just ditching the lighted nocks this year (although they are really nice for watching arrow flight and point of impact).

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting. I understand what you have said about a taller vane haveing more leverage to stabilize. In my simple mind, wind drift would be a function of side profile surface area? And drag a function of front on surface area? (Height and amount of horizontal exposed from offset)

Is noise more so from material stiffness, or front on surface area?
Yes, wind drift is a function of the total side profile of the arrow assembly. Drag is a function of the front on surface area initially, but once the arrow is up to rotational speed it seems to be dominated by the total surface area of the vane but also height to a lesser degree. Our findings on noise were not what we expected and we are still sorting out what factors cause high and low noise.

Yes, wind drift is a function of the total side profile of the arrow assembly. Drag is a function of the front on surface area initially, but once the arrow is up to rotational speed it seems to be dominated by the total surface area of the vane but also height to a lesser degree. Our findings on noise were not what we expected and we are still sorting out what factors cause high and low noise.

Very cool. Appreciate your insight, look forward to hearing more about the studies!

OP
Bill V

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bill, have you ditched the lighted nocks for hunting?

I've been using AAE IP nocks on my recurve and have had some of the .204 AAE IP nocks in my toolbox for a while that I haven't messed with yet. I'm considering just ditching the lighted nocks this year (although they are really nice for watching arrow flight and point of impact).
I think there is a need for an improved lighted nock for long range accuracy and reliability. I've been working on it. There are things I don't like about everyone I've tested so far.