New here-Multi day backcountry elk hunt Olympic Mountains ?s

I am going in full bore this year to do my first but truly my second backcountry elk hunting trip. My first was in eastern WA years ago and due to being so wet cold and miserable we called it off. That was one of the two reasons. The other was how far we got in realizing packing somethin out wasn't feasible. I will be going into the deep Olympcs in WA state and had questions about suggested pack weight. I have hunted here before so I know its steep and hike here all of the time. I just know I have concerns about having second layers/wp clothing etc. and the weight adds up. My first backcountry trip my pack weiged almost 65lbs. I cant repeat that.

Sadler

WKR
Watch some of Steve’s videos with S&S Archery on YouTube. He brings the absolute bare minimum and does so successfully. I Think his base weight for his pack is under 20lbs without food and water. That’ll get you started on where to cut weight and what to leave at the truck.

OP
C
Watch some of Steve’s videos with S&S Archery on YouTube. He brings the absolute bare minimum and does so successfully. I Think his base weight for his pack is under 20lbs without food and water. That’ll get you started on where to cut weight and what to leave at the truck.
Thank you. I will check him out.

Marble

WKR
Thank you. I will check him out.
Keep in mind someone doing that is VERY experienced and knowledgeable. Mos tnpeople cannot do that.

To give an idea on pack weight, food should be ~1 1/2 pounds per day.

To reduce weight, buy expensive gear. Learn how to make less stuff work.

Moat people who have super heavy packs do so because they pack their fears. The good idea fairy shows up and talks them into this and that. Redundant items...

For a hunt in cold/wet weather. 50 pounds is very respectable.

If you have someone going with you, you guys should be sharing items, which means you'll be cutting weight.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Keep in mind someone doing that is VERY experienced and knowledgeable. Mos tnpeople cannot do that.

To give an idea on pack weight, food should be ~1 1/2 pounds per day.

To reduce weight, buy expensive gear. Learn how to make less stuff work.

Moat people who have super heavy packs do so because they pack their fears. The good idea fairy shows up and talks them into this and that. Redundant items...

For a hunt in cold/wet weather. 50 pounds is very respectable.

If you have someone going with you, you guys should be sharing items, which means you'll be cutting weight.

Thank you. Note taken on the light gear. Fortunately I am an avid backpacker and have spent a significant amount of money over the years buying lighter and lighter gear. There are some creature comforts I have learned to shed, but yes you are correct about letting my head get to me about what is a "need". I will continue to reel this in until the pack weight makes sense. I will be splitting the cooking gear and tent amongst the two of us. The difference I fond in my regular backpacking and the backcountry trip I did previously was in the weight of the clothes and second layers. Backpacking in the summer I go with one t-shirt, one pants, wp top and bottom and that's pretty much it.

I backpack hunt western Washington all year. The Olympic peninsula is a different level. Rather be a little heavier but warm than lighter and cold in that 36 degree pouring rain. Last year I hiked in rain gear and a lost park parka for an hour before I got warm enough again after stopping for a snack break. If I didn’t have legs to do that I’m not sure how that goes instead. If you aren’t confident in what you need to bring to easy in there. Cold cold rain all day is no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Thank you. Note taken on the light gear. Fortunately I am an avid backpacker and have spent a significant amount of money over the years buying lighter and lighter gear. There are some creature comforts I have learned to shed, but yes you are correct about letting my head get to me about what is a "need". I will continue to reel this in until the pack weight makes sense. I will be splitting the cooking gear and tent amongst the two of us. The difference I fond in my regular backpacking and the backcountry trip I did previously was in the weight of the clothes and second layers. Backpacking in the summer I go with one t-shirt, one pants, wp top and bottom and that's pretty much it.
For my clothing, I do not take multiple of anything except socks and possibly underwear. When you get into winter temps, the clothing required just weighs so much comparatively.

So it sounds like your experienced in backpacking. Whittle your gear down.

If you post your gear list when you get I together, guys will help you out with it.