New Frame and Bags from Kifaru International

I think they are all gong to look awesome in what ever color you chose we won't know the diff once we use and abuse it. Can't wait for mine

Ruskin

WKR
which HC size?

Novice question for the group. I'm trying to decide between the two different sizes of the highcamp and trying to figure out if I need to step up to the larger size (yes, i realize you can always collapse it and the incremental weight of the larger bad is negligible but is that truly enough of a reason?). For late season elk hunting in CO if I want to DIY solo spike camp, will the small size have enough capacity? Now that the bag can be separated from the frame so the meat can go between frame and pack, I don't have to use the internal pack space for meat. (in a multiple haul scenario, I may make a trip with the meat in the bag and that's ok).

Assume I model my gear selection after the instructional videos that Aron Snyder has made for rokslide, and I'm only taking what's necessary. My question to the group is...do you need the larger 7,000ci bag for a late season CO mountain hunt or can you do it with the 4,800 ci bag and some smart accessory pouches hung on the outside? Which one would be optimal.

Thanks.
--Ruskin

Novice question for the group. I'm trying to decide between the two different sizes of the highcamp and trying to figure out if I need to step up to the larger size (yes, i realize you can always collapse it and the incremental weight of the larger bad is negligible but is that truly enough of a reason?). For late season elk hunting in CO if I want to DIY solo spike camp, will the small size have enough capacity? Now that the bag can be separated from the frame so the meat can go between frame and pack, I don't have to use the internal pack space for meat. (in a multiple haul scenario, I may make a trip with the meat in the bag and that's ok).

Assume I model my gear selection after the instructional videos that Aron Snyder has made for rokslide, and I'm only taking what's necessary. My question to the group is...do you need the larger 7,000ci bag for a late season CO mountain hunt or can you do it with the 4,800 ci bag and some smart accessory pouches hung on the outside? Which one would be optimal.

Thanks.
--Ruskin

Definitely go for the larger bag. The main reason is your chasing elk, and you're hunting later in the year. Bigger animals and colder weather means your gear is likely not as minimalist as you would expect. Unless you want to totally outfit it with pockets and pods (not my preference) you'll be hard pressed to fit much more than a boned out quarter and your gear for a 1-3 day spike camp hunt.

Mike

dotman

WKR
Definitely go for the larger bag. The main reason is your chasing elk, and you're hunting later in the year. Bigger animals and colder weather means your gear is likely not as minimalist as you would expect. Unless you want to totally outfit it with pockets and pods (not my preference) you'll be hard pressed to fit much more than a boned out quarter and your gear for a 1-3 day spike camp hunt.

Mike

Well I would say it all depends, if you use pods and pockets to organize with you can attach them on the outside for the first load out. I ended up going with the 4800 but will use my e&e as a lid and have most other items organized in ku pockets. So with the e&e that is anther 1000ci on top if the pack size. I did 10 days out of my ku5200 but it was also early Sep with lows in the high 30's and I would have packed camp out in multiple loads if I hauled meat but most of it would have easily attached on the outside and also would have lashed down nicely. I never did use my T1 since I sold it to upgrade.

Well I would say it all depends, if you use pods and pockets to organize with you can attach them on the outside for the first load out. I ended up going with the 4800 but will use my e&e as a lid and have most other items organized in ku pockets. So with the e&e that is anther 1000ci on top if the pack size. I did 10 days out of my ku5200 but it was also early Sep with lows in the high 30's and I would have packed camp out in multiple loads if I hauled meat but most of it would have easily attached on the outside and also would have lashed down nicely. I never did use my T1 since I sold it to upgrade.

It's not my preference to use a ton of pockets and early Sept is a bit difference than October or November backpack hunts. I used my T1 third week in October at 8k+ feet in Idaho and am glad I had the extra space. Would've really been glad for it had I killed that trip. 4800 is plenty big for an overnight trip, but if he ever wants to do anything over 3-5 days depending on his gear he'll wish he had a bigger pack. Though as already mentioned there are enough attachment points to really expand on the cubic inches.

Where and when did you go on a ten day trip? How far back in were you?

Mike

Shrek

WKR
I ran that question by Aron when I ordered mine and he said the 4800 without hesitation. I'm putting a back pouch , a medium pouch , small pouch , and a mid long pocket for my 50mm spotter. Remember there are no external sewn in pockets to organise things so you are going to want to add a pocket or two and they will add capacity. I also add a ku grab it. Even if you get the large pack you will still probably want to add a pocket or two and then you are heading out with a 8500 to 10000 ci pack !

slim9300

WKR
I prefer having the large capacity of my T1 regardless of how long I'm going to be gone for. (when hunting elk at least) Everyone has seen my pictures a million times by now, but the "huge" T1 looks like the tiniest of dayspacks when it's compressed down. I doubt a smaller capacity bag is going to look any smaller in daypack mode and its certainly not going to carry as much gear unless its lashed to the outside. Just my .02

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Or just buy the DT1 bag and you will be set without having to buy a bunch of pockets.

DT1 weight = 3lbs. 2oz.
High camp with two long pockets and two large pockets = 3lbs. 12oz.
If my math is right.

crumy

WKR
I sm new to the kifaru world but I went with the t1. I went with biggest bag because I have it if I need it. I would rather put it inside than have it hanging.

Like I said I am new to this but this is why I made the choice I did

dotman

WKR
It's not my preference to use a ton of pockets and early Sept is a bit difference than October or November backpack hunts. I used my T1 third week in October at 8k+ feet in Idaho and am glad I had the extra space. Would've really been glad for it had I killed that trip. 4800 is plenty big for an overnight trip, but if he ever wants to do anything over 3-5 days depending on his gear he'll wish he had a bigger pack. Though as already mentioned there are enough attachment points to really expand on the cubic inches.

Where and when did you go on a ten day trip? How far back in were you?

Mike

:) i was in CO anywhere from 3 - 7 miles in and it is easy to do a 10 day if you drive 14hrs to hunt. Yeah I could have broke it up into two 4 day hunts if I wanted but my gear doesn't change much from day 3 to 10 other then food.

This year I'll be about 10 miles back for 12 days straight and hopefully slim gets his MT bull early and can join up, then he can see the difference in pack size :). If I remember though the T1 is only a few hundred ci smaller/bigger then the ku5200 in the main bag, so the 4800 highcamp will not be much smaller in main compartment size.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
I figue that the food is about the only thing that is going to change with 3days to 10 days. Pack 7 days of a 10 day trip into a dry bag and cache it in the area you will hunt and resupply your pack every couple days. On a long trip I would cache most of the extra gear and food in a cental location. The only time that would not work well is if you are hunting through an area. Then you would need a monster pack.

JLF

FNG
Wow,

I find agreement with a lot of what has already been said but I did have the same dilemma when I settled on my DT2 (5,200 c.i.). I wanted a pack that could handle boned out elk quarters on top of a 5 day load out ala backpack hunting. I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear and I tend to count ounces too. I've somewhat graduated from the "travel light and freeze all night" concept to a "semi-travel light and freeze all night" concept. I agree with HellsCanyon, I don't do any pockets on the exterior, I like my pack to be clean and streamlined. I learned many frustrating lessons hunting in Alaska with regards to catching things up in the bush. I use the 5-pullout system to organize the interior along with the 3 and 5-string compression sacks for various uses too. I've followed Aron's methodology with most things with the only significant exception being I haven't converted to the ole tarp concept. I'm still deeply wedded to my tents but I tend to stay sub 2.5 lbs there too. So, that equals to a DT2 w/Grab-It, 2 small belt pouches, (on the belt of course) and a lash kit. I can always compress the meat directly on top of my stuff without any problems or cajoling. I considered the HC 4,800 too but I'm not ready to part with the niceties that the DT2 comes with. If push comes to shove I could almost cut those same niceties out of the DT2 to get to near HC weight. Oh, and I'm invested into the Highlander pattern now so the weight savings I'm comparing would be with like-like material due to my desire to stay with that Highlander pattern. Keep us informed on how your thoughts are driving your purchasing decision... There are literally decades of real world experienced folks here who have gone through your situation a time or two!

dotman

WKR
I figue that the food is about the only thing that is going to change with 3days to 10 days. Pack 7 days of a 10 day trip into a dry bag and cache it in the area you will hunt and resupply your pack every couple days. On a long trip I would cache most of the extra gear and food in a cental location. The only time that would not work well is if you are hunting through an area. Then you would need a monster pack.

I had a central location for a food cache and then could hunt three days in any direction without having to head back to the th.

I agree only thing that really changes from a 3 day trip to an extended trip (longest I've done out of a pack has been 5 days) is food and maybe extra socks. ;)

All comes down to personal preference. As mentioned I prefer less pockets and bigger main body. Only extra things I have for my T1 is a grab-it and med belt pouch. Only other thing I'm looking at is the auxiliary gun bearer. I really think the timberline bags are of perfect design for my preferences. But again, thats just MY opinion, and ya'll know what those are like! ;)

Mike

dotman

WKR
I agree only thing that really changes from a 3 day trip to an extended trip (longest I've done out of a pack has been 5 days) is food and maybe extra socks. ;)

All comes down to personal preference. As mentioned I prefer less pockets and bigger main body. Only extra things I have for my T1 is a grab-it and med belt pouch. Only other thing I'm looking at is the auxiliary gun bearer. I really think the timberline bags are of perfect design for my preferences. But again, thats just MY opinion, and ya'll know what those are like! ;)

Mike

I used to also think that but then decided I wanted to do the ultralite thing and went with the ku5200, I have a ton of pockets and pullouts that really help to organize which really made me not miss the pockets at all. I just had a small pocket on my belt and grabbit on the outside, the rest was packed in systems within the pack. Only complaint was digging down in the pack and that is what I like about the highcamp with bottom zipper :).

A ku5200 with slot pockets for my spotter would be sweet. Its such a pita to dig spotter and tripod out of the pack.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hunting partner has the T1. We went on a 10 day sheep hunt last fall. We are not light weight freaks, but we don't take the kitchen sink either. That T1 was stuffed... It made me very glad I had canceled my DT1 order and was leaning toward the LongHunter Legacy until the new bags came out. When I make an order it will be for the biggest pack they make, but thats just me.. : )

dotman

WKR
My hunting partner has the T1. We went on a 10 day sheep hunt last fall. We are not light weight freaks, but we don't take the kitchen sink either. That T1 was stuffed... It made me very glad I had canceled my DT1 order and was leaning toward the LongHunter Legacy until the new bags came out. When I make an order it will be for the biggest pack they make, but thats just me.. : )

If I was in AK I would do the same :).

luke moffat

Super Moderator

+1....I never see the need for anything but the largest bag you can buy. They all compress down small enough and the difference between them is usually just teh weight of a single pocket added onto the bag. In the end you are money and weight ahead with the largest bag you can get rather than a smaller bag all pocketed (yes thats my word for it;) ) out.