New career, getting out of law enforcement

This will be a bit long, and a bit outside the norms of conversation here, but you sound sincere, and sincerely interested in what other people might know that could help. So, here you are:

Almost every veteran of any type of high-camaraderie, high-risk work environment has their biggest transition challenge in one critical thing: sense of identity.

It's your story of yourself, who you are, what you stand for, and what your standards are.

Nothing will limit you more than maintaining your current sense of identity. That locks you into expectations and ideas about yourself that may no longer be serving you, either partially or at all.

What few truly ever realize is that "identity" is not just flexible, but it is also very much something you can choose, and actively craft for yourself. It must always serve you - not the other way around.

It takes time, a lot of inner-work, and a crap ton of willpower. But if you really want to grow, and not get sucked into anything tangential to security - and genuinely want to prioritize your family life and quality of worklife - you must be willing to actively consider and work at shedding that old identity, in part or in whole. And it may very well feel threatening or like a sense of betrayal at first. Including with the loss of prestige, status, and sense of belonging you may currently feel about law enforcement - and what others may think of you if you bail.

But your identity is absolutely not concrete, or permanent. People's most difficult transitions in life generally come with breaks in identity that are forced on them - injury, retirement, and old age often being the hardest for warriors. Those who transition most successfully do so by adopting that new identity - either by shedding the old entirely or partially, or in adding entirely new onion layers to it, superseding the old and its behavioral hold on them.

The answers of what kind of work you might want to do will start appearing once you really dial in on what your core - and I mean, really core - priorities are. That also illuminates what your current values are, and helps dial in on what ones truly serve you. Some "priorities" may reveal themselves as emotional urges related to this old identity, while the ones that genuinely do matter the most (ie, family) can get clarified and enhanced. That inventory generally points to what values you should reconsider, shed, modify, and even adopt new for a new identity and how you view yourself. The key thing to remember is that this selection of values is a deliberate, conscious act - and that you need to optimize that suite of values and standards for the new identity. Choose wisely. And, it will take time.

From there, start searching for what income opportunities could also provide a sense of meaning. Be careful with this one, however - most high-meaning jobs are identity jobs, that often pay poorly and treat their people as optional cogs in a machine, leveraging their identity and idealism against them. But you can find extreme meaning just in doing something that pays well and allows you to focus on your family. You do not need to base your identity on your job.

That said...LE tends to attract those who get a sense of meaning out of protecting. You can do great deal of protecting and taking care of your family and even community by going out and picking up a trade with a couple of years of study or apprenticeship - and it pays extremely well. Machining, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, welding - those are high-value skills that pay well, and will always be needed in any situation your family and community may find themselves in.

When you go through this process, remember that it takes time, and try to be kind to yourself. Some of the revelations and experiences will be difficult to process, and can bring a range of negative emotions too. That's okay. It's part of the process. Just be deliberate about your priorities and the values you decide to hold, and keep moving forward.

outlawjwales

FNG
Classified Approved
Best of luck with your new direction in life, burnout can be insidious. There have been some great response in this thread. Have you thought about s career in cyber security? I've met a number of former LEO's who made the transition...a lot of the skill sets carry over. If you don't have a technical background, you can teach your self much of the basic skills.

Do you want to be a "do'er" or a "thinker" in your next career?

Do'ers are still physically attached to, and deeply involved in, any field work related to the job.

Thinkers get paid more and more than likely spend the majority of their time at a desk or in meetings.

Marble

WKR
I am hoping to get some positive feedback and advice, since this community is quite diverse. As of recently I have been quite burnt out with the profession due to administration, unusual schedule, and inability to attend family functions. Though I love the camaraderie of the profession, I think it’s time for a change. My goal is to get into a job with a more traditional schedule, where I can be home with the family regularly and attend all family functions and holidays. Whether it’s an in-office job, or remote, doesn’t really matter.

A little background. I live in the Midwest and have over 10 years of experience, with an associate degree in criminal justice. Over the years I have had various responsibilities including standard patrol, evidence custodian, court officer, training officer, investigator and supervisor. In addition to those titles, I have been involved in incident command, and various community enrichment boards. The majority of my training and experience is in investigations.

I have been looking at various careers that I feel my skills would transition to such as, SIU investigations, Claims analyst, Security Management, Loss Prevention management. I have even applied for several positions and as of this post I have not received a call or email back to continue in the hiring process. It’s been quite frustrating to say the least. So, to anyone who has gotten out of law enforcement, what do you now do, and how did you break into your specific field? Anyone who has never been in law enforcement, but has experience in human resources or hiring, what advice can you provide? Some of the skills I have are strong communication and negotiation skills, problem solving, networking and intelligence gathering, organization, and management skills. They all should be valuable in the private sector, but to this point, I have not broken through the initial resume screening.
I have a very similar resume. 23 years,12 as a detective. Several task forces, lots of UC work. Lots of coordination and managing large multiagency functions. I now run a 20+ million dollar company with 27 employees. The leadership and people skills I learned in LE put me in a good place to lead people from the front. So do not discount that experience when it comes to choosing work. It really doesn't matter what you are managing as long you can understand the tasks and know how to move the right people into the right positions based on merit, performance, personality and needs of the company.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Good! I work in insurance/finance. While it may seem boring to some it buys me a lot of flexibility.

If you need a referral to help with your resume + related I know a lady who can assist there.
Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I'm not in Law Enforcement, but my son is. I've spent 25 years in management and hired probably 150 people in my career. Some have already said it - but I will say it anyway.

#1 - networking. This can be folks at church or at the gun club too - not just the office. I get what you said about being careful about getting the word out that you are looking for a job. My son said the same thing. But statistically it's a huge help with landing a new job.

Sending resumes to job postings where you don't know the company or the people is a crap shoot. Honestly - something on your resume has to stick out to get a call. It could even be something as small as being a boy scout when you were a kid - but something has to stick out to the person reading it. Also - some of the jobs posted on the internet are posted because people that work at the company offering the job know the job being offered sucks - so they passed on it. I took one of those jobs once......learned a lot from that experience. Wish it didn't involve a relocation.

Practice your interview skills. I know that might sound strange - but there is a skill to it. Be prepared for questions like:

1) So why after 10 years are you looking to get out of law enforcement?
2) What do you like about your job? What don't you like?
3) Have you ever had a confrontation with a co-worker and how did you handle it?
4) How do you handle stress?
5) Why did you apply for this position? What are you looking for in the role?
6) Are you willing to work extra hours if needed to get something on a tight schedule done?
7) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
8) Any interest in management?
9) What are your hobbies?
10) Don't be afraid to say you don't know or you aren't sure if you get a question that you just can't answer. I've sometimes kept asking questions just to see if a person will admit they don't know something.
11) Keep your answers clear and concise. Provide detail if they ask - or ask if they want detail. Someone who talks forever without being prompted to do so is a red flag.

Remember to not speak too negatively about your current job or the people you work with. It's ok to say the schedule isn't working out for you and the family or something life that. Or you are looking for a new challenge - a change of pace.

Pick a confrontation you've had where you can say you stepped back and put yourself in the other person's shoes to understand their perspective and motivation better - and then explain how that helped you constructively resolve the issue where you were both satisfied - or at least ok with the outcome.

If it's true - it's always good to tell people you are task driven - and if that means putting in some extra work to succeed - you are ok with it.

Work on making sure your voice has confidence in it when you speak. Don't mumble. Speak clearly. Have some underlying excitement in your tone. If there is more than one person in the room talking to you - make sure you look at both of them an equal amount of time during the interview if it seems appropriate. Do not cross your arms ever. Sit upright in your seat if you are interviewing in person. Don't slouch.

Interest in management - even if it's slight - is good. People want to hire folks that want to move up in an organization.

Do not lie about anything. I know that's already drilled in your head from LE - but it's ok to project yourself as a little more positive than normal or a little more ambitious. You have to sell yourself.

People want to know three things before you leave an interview.

1) Can you do the job?
2) Will you like the job?
3) Will you fit in well with the rest of the people that work there?

Follow up after an interview with an e-mail thanking them for the opportunity and that you hope to hear from them soon.

I'm sure you know a lot of what I've said already - but even if I have said one or two things that didn't cross your mind it's probably worth the read.
Thank you, that was a great post. I just finished up my shift and I’m going to re read it a few more times after some sleep. Sound advice on how to prepare for interviews.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Do you want to be a "do'er" or a "thinker" in your next career?

Do'ers are still physically attached to, and deeply involved in, any field work related to the job.

Thinkers get paid more and more than likely spend the majority of their time at a desk or in meetings.
That’s a tough one. In the profession, especially as an investigator, you need to be both.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
This will be a bit long, and a bit outside the norms of conversation here, but you sound sincere, and sincerely interested in what other people might know that could help. So, here you are:

Almost every veteran of any type of high-camaraderie, high-risk work environment has their biggest transition challenge in one critical thing: sense of identity.

It's your story of yourself, who you are, what you stand for, and what your standards are.

Nothing will limit you more than maintaining your current sense of identity. That locks you into expectations and ideas about yourself that may no longer be serving you, either partially or at all.

What few truly ever realize is that "identity" is not just flexible, but it is also very much something you can choose, and actively craft for yourself. It must always serve you - not the other way around.

It takes time, a lot of inner-work, and a crap ton of willpower. But if you really want to grow, and not get sucked into anything tangential to security - and genuinely want to prioritize your family life and quality of worklife - you must be willing to actively consider and work at shedding that old identity, in part or in whole. And it may very well feel threatening or like a sense of betrayal at first. Including with the loss of prestige, status, and sense of belonging you may currently feel about law enforcement - and what others may think of you if you bail.

But your identity is absolutely not concrete, or permanent. People's most difficult transitions in life generally come with breaks in identity that are forced on them - injury, retirement, and old age often being the hardest for warriors. Those who transition most successfully do so by adopting that new identity - either by shedding the old entirely or partially, or in adding entirely new onion layers to it, superseding the old and its behavioral hold on them.

The answers of what kind of work you might want to do will start appearing once you really dial in on what your core - and I mean, really core - priorities are. That also illuminates what your current values are, and helps dial in on what ones truly serve you. Some "priorities" may reveal themselves as emotional urges related to this old identity, while the ones that genuinely do matter the most (ie, family) can get clarified and enhanced. That inventory generally points to what values you should reconsider, shed, modify, and even adopt new for a new identity and how you view yourself. The key thing to remember is that this selection of values is a deliberate, conscious act - and that you need to optimize that suite of values and standards for the new identity. Choose wisely. And, it will take time.

From there, start searching for what income opportunities could also provide a sense of meaning. Be careful with this one, however - most high-meaning jobs are identity jobs, that often pay poorly and treat their people as optional cogs in a machine, leveraging their identity and idealism against them. But you can find extreme meaning just in doing something that pays well and allows you to focus on your family. You do not need to base your identity on your job.

That said...LE tends to attract those who get a sense of meaning out of protecting. You can do great deal of protecting and taking care of your family and even community by going out and picking up a trade with a couple of years of study or apprenticeship - and it pays extremely well. Machining, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, welding - those are high-value skills that pay well, and will always be needed in any situation your family and community may find themselves in.

When you go through this process, remember that it takes time, and try to be kind to yourself. Some of the revelations and experiences will be difficult to process, and can bring a range of negative emotions too. That's okay. It's part of the process. Just be deliberate about your priorities and the values you decide to hold, and keep moving forward.
Great post. You aren’t the first person I’ve heard talk about identity. I’ve heard someone say it can take up to or longer than a year to return to “civilian” life. I’ll be reading your post a few more times. Thank you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Dude, just be a fireman. Cops love firemen. :LOL:

Seriously best of luck, I couldn’t be the police. Maybe the insurance business? Claims adjuster?
How old are you? Maybe get some more college classes towards a bachelor’s regents degree.
I’ve been looking at a new nursing gig, applied to a hospital, 2 interviews, wasted 8 hours of my own time “shadowing” with different shifts and the 2 jobs I applied for went to somebody else.
All you hear is about this nursing shortage, and with 15 years and a bachelors, I can’t get a job.
That’s nuts. My wife went back to school at 36 and got a BSN, got hired before she even finished the degree and makes 185k/year.

I guess in my experience job shortages don’t necessarily mean there are shortages in your area. Lots of opportunities if you are willing to relocate but I completely understand that can be difficult with kids, family, home ownership, spouses job etc etc.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Not sure where in the midwest you live but my Mrs works for West Bend Mutual and they seem to hire alot of ex law enforcement as claims adjusters. Believe they are OK with folks working remotely, pay decent, and have some pretty good benefits.
They are close by. Does she happen to work in management, hr, or recruiting?🤣

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider looking into the municipal water and wastewater field. That sector is having a huge amount of baby boomers leave the workforce and vacate good jobs. A lot of opportunities in plant operations, asset management, utility management, supervisor, and maintenance career paths. It's almost all on the job training and your background would be attractive. Usually good benefits, time off, and a lot of career advancement options once your have a few years of experience. Almost every community has a water and wastewater department. Not always the highest paying jobs but you can get OT and have a good work life balance.

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
At a similar crossroads myself. I'm not at the same level of burnout out but if a job opportunity came along that allowed for a more stable and flexible personal life I would seriously consider it.

Pretty hard to walk away from the retirement and benefits package though. Free medical/dental and eligibility to draw full pension at age 50.

Luked

WKR
Not sure where in the Midwest you are but I am in the Midwest also.
Never been in Law Enforcement but have quite a few really good friends that are.
2 of my friends now work for Anheuser Brewing co. One was a patrol officer and the other was a LT on St Louis Swat team. Both went to work at the Brewery and are security guards there. It is a requirement from my understanding you have to have a Peace Officers license to be security.
Not sure if you might have anything like that around you but both of these friends of mine make killer money and love what they do.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
They are close by. Does she happen to work in management, hr, or recruiting?🤣
Negative. But I'm a partner in a business that's one of their biggest customers... :). On second thought, you have any background at all on reading blueprints or construction?

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your service! I haven’t taken the time to read everyone else’s posts but around here s common second profession is pest extermination. Mainly bugs. Takes a state certification but easily doable and pays well. Plus it gives you the freedom of starting your own small business where you can create your own schedule. Good luck!

That’s nuts. My wife went back to school at 36 and got a BSN, got hired before she even finished the degree and makes 185k/year.
I'd just go be an influencer then.

Seriously though, good luck and stay after it. Dont be afraid to try something outside of your comfort zone.

Gray_Law

FNG
Speaking as a 27 year LE vet, and now putting my law degree to work....congrats on making it out the other side. I know being a dirty stinkin' lawyer isn't for everyone. I specialize in self defense cases, and gun rights work....so, I don't feel dirty.

That said...a few of my friends have popped smoke and pulled the EJECT handle and landed in teaching in criminal justice programs at community colleges, and really love the work. Another went into the Department Of Corrections as an investigator, doing background and criminal investigations (it's a POST position), and she loves it. She "Does her 8 and hits the gate". Another is working for a defense company doing anti-espionage work, etc. You'll find something....just avoid finding fatty foods, booze, and boredom!

Sled

WKR
Do you enjoy working for someone else? Why not start your own business. You set your own hours. I don't know what you'd do but security consultant could work. I'd pick a business that doesn't require much overhead so you can be more profitable and pivot if need be.

Recently my wife got sick of her job due to stress and scheduling. She needed help to get away like a bad relationship. We ended up starting a business and the clients she brought in came with her. She now makes a lot more money and controls her own destiny. I still have my full time job and help out with site inspections to make things work out for her.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Negative. But I'm a partner in a business that's one of their biggest customers... :). On second thought, you have any background at all on reading blueprints or construction?
Ironically, yes. Prior to getting into law enforcement I was in the commercial electrical field for 4 years. At that time there was huge competition getting accepted into the local union. Driving fast, carrying a gun and arresting bad guys sounded more fun at that time in my life.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Ironically, yes. Prior to getting into law enforcement I was in the commercial electrical field for 4 years. At that time there was huge competition getting accepted into the local union. Driving fast, carrying a gun and arresting bad guys sounded more fun at that time in my life.
Well... not sure if there's a specific need (estimating, Proj. engineer,....) we've got to fill at this point but finding good people and finding a spot for them isn't all that bad either. Regardless, if you are a Wisconsin fella and have an interest in construction PM me some intel. Have been in commercial roofing for 20+ years and know a few folks.