New career, getting out of law enforcement

Bobbyboe

WKR
I am hoping to get some positive feedback and advice, since this community is quite diverse. As of recently I have been quite burnt out with the profession due to administration, unusual schedule, and inability to attend family functions. Though I love the camaraderie of the profession, I think it’s time for a change. My goal is to get into a job with a more traditional schedule, where I can be home with the family regularly and attend all family functions and holidays. Whether it’s an in-office job, or remote, doesn’t really matter.

A little background. I live in the Midwest and have over 10 years of experience, with an associate degree in criminal justice. Over the years I have had various responsibilities including standard patrol, evidence custodian, court officer, training officer, investigator and supervisor. In addition to those titles, I have been involved in incident command, and various community enrichment boards. The majority of my training and experience is in investigations.

I have been looking at various careers that I feel my skills would transition to such as, SIU investigations, Claims analyst, Security Management, Loss Prevention management. I have even applied for several positions and as of this post I have not received a call or email back to continue in the hiring process. It’s been quite frustrating to say the least. So, to anyone who has gotten out of law enforcement, what do you now do, and how did you break into your specific field? Anyone who has never been in law enforcement, but has experience in human resources or hiring, what advice can you provide? Some of the skills I have are strong communication and negotiation skills, problem solving, networking and intelligence gathering, organization, and management skills. They all should be valuable in the private sector, but to this point, I have not broken through the initial resume screening.

tony

WKR
Dude, just be a fireman. Cops love firemen. :LOL:

Seriously best of luck, I couldn’t be the police. Maybe the insurance business? Claims adjuster?
How old are you? Maybe get some more college classes towards a bachelor’s regents degree.
I’ve been looking at a new nursing gig, applied to a hospital, 2 interviews, wasted 8 hours of my own time “shadowing” with different shifts and the 2 jobs I applied for went to somebody else.
All you hear is about this nursing shortage, and with 15 years and a bachelors, I can’t get a job.

As much as I hate buzz words and phrases, start "networking". Start by approaching people you know. Most job leads begin from a conversation with a person. You already stepped into it by creating this thread.

Most automated applications and resumes uploaded to websites go through a screening algorithm looking for key words. True or real experience during this phase is irrelevant.

Another source is a premium membership to LinkedIn. Build your profile by highlighting your strongest attributes. You can even reach out to "job coaches" to help you build a strong profile.

Duh

WKR
Ever thought of going to work for defense as a PI? I know a couple guys that went that route after retirement and seem to not mind it.

Some other guys went to being blue coats in fed buildings. The guys I’ve talked to in those jobs seem to enjoy it.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I'll try and answer a bunch of people's questions in a single post. I'm late 30's. Digital forensics and coding is not for me. I like the networking advice a lot. The interesting part of my profession is you get looked at poorly by administration if they catch wind of you looking for other employment. Word spreads fast and your chances of attending training and promotions end the second your commitment to the department comes into question. So, networking can be a bit tricky. I haven't looked too much at defence as I assume travel would be involved.

One thing is for sure, I don't want to leave for another job, I want to leave for another career. That career preferably has advancement opportunities.

@tony, @roadrunner, @wesfromky, @Duh

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where in the midwest you live but my Mrs works for West Bend Mutual and they seem to hire alot of ex law enforcement as claims adjusters. Believe they are OK with folks working remotely, pay decent, and have some pretty good benefits.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You have enough back ground, so getting a job with a private security Co. shouldn't be any trouble. Also PI work, which could be a little slow until you get established. If you remain in the same area, word of mouth from local Pd would help.

Jimmy

WKR
Just remember, there's careers out there for you and people out there that would be thanking their lucky stars if they were able to hire you. Just a matter of connecting with them. This is a good start, good luck!

180ls1

WKR
I am fully vested, so if I leave the pension will still continue to grow with the market. I could begin drawing from it at normal LE retirement age.

Good! I work in insurance/finance. While it may seem boring to some it buys me a lot of flexibility.

If you need a referral to help with your resume + related I know a lady who can assist there.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve never been in law enforcement, but a number of clients and family members are. I hear many ex cops getting sucked into security management jobs at newly constructed places like Tesla, or other modern high tech manufacturing, and large data warehouses. One client loved the change - low stress, being able to implement the latest technology and techniques, good benefits and a regular schedule. Some security clearances seem rather high - obviously not every widget maker only makes widgets.

Our family members seem to gravitate to selling real estate. I can see how attention to detail, professional appearance, interpersonal skills, understanding the client’s mindset and needs, hunting for properties, negotiations, and closing the deal just seem to fit their personalities.

I don’t know diddly about homeland security jobs, but I keep hearing small talk about guys in the second half of their law enforcement careers getting into anti drone anti terrorism programs at the local/regional level. I don’t know what they do exactly, but there seems to be money there. I was told if they explained what they did they’d have to shoot me. :)

Best of luck.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Just remember, there's careers out there for you and people out there that would be thanking their lucky stars if they were able to hire you. Just a matter of connecting with them. This is a good start, good luck!
Thank you for the kind words.

I am hoping to get some positive feedback and advice, since this community is quite diverse. As of recently I have been quite burnt out with the profession due to administration, unusual schedule, and inability to attend family functions. Though I love the camaraderie of the profession, I think it’s time for a change. My goal is to get into a job with a more traditional schedule, where I can be home with the family regularly and attend all family functions and holidays. Whether it’s an in-office job, or remote, doesn’t really matter.

A little background. I live in the Midwest and have over 10 years of experience, with an associate degree in criminal justice. Over the years I have had various responsibilities including standard patrol, evidence custodian, court officer, training officer, investigator and supervisor. In addition to those titles, I have been involved in incident command, and various community enrichment boards. The majority of my training and experience is in investigations.

I have been looking at various careers that I feel my skills would transition to such as, SIU investigations, Claims analyst, Security Management, Loss Prevention management. I have even applied for several positions and as of this post I have not received a call or email back to continue in the hiring process. It’s been quite frustrating to say the least. So, to anyone who has gotten out of law enforcement, what do you now do, and how did you break into your specific field? Anyone who has never been in law enforcement, but has experience in human resources or hiring, what advice can you provide? Some of the skills I have are strong communication and negotiation skills, problem solving, networking and intelligence gathering, organization, and management skills. They all should be valuable in the private sector, but to this point, I have not broken through the initial resume screening.
Wyoming's hiring a bunch of wardens currently. We need some good hunters in there.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not in Law Enforcement, but my son is. I've spent 25 years in management and hired probably 150 people in my career. Some have already said it - but I will say it anyway.

#1 - networking. This can be folks at church or at the gun club too - not just the office. I get what you said about being careful about getting the word out that you are looking for a job. My son said the same thing. But statistically it's a huge help with landing a new job.

Sending resumes to job postings where you don't know the company or the people is a crap shoot. Honestly - something on your resume has to stick out to get a call. It could even be something as small as being a boy scout when you were a kid - but something has to stick out to the person reading it. Also - some of the jobs posted on the internet are posted because people that work at the company offering the job know the job being offered sucks - so they passed on it. I took one of those jobs once......learned a lot from that experience. Wish it didn't involve a relocation.

Practice your interview skills. I know that might sound strange - but there is a skill to it. Be prepared for questions like:

1) So why after 10 years are you looking to get out of law enforcement?
2) What do you like about your job? What don't you like?
3) Have you ever had a confrontation with a co-worker and how did you handle it?
4) How do you handle stress?
5) Why did you apply for this position? What are you looking for in the role?
6) Are you willing to work extra hours if needed to get something on a tight schedule done?
7) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
8) Any interest in management?
9) What are your hobbies?
10) Don't be afraid to say you don't know or you aren't sure if you get a question that you just can't answer. I've sometimes kept asking questions just to see if a person will admit they don't know something.
11) Keep your answers clear and concise. Provide detail if they ask - or ask if they want detail. Someone who talks forever without being prompted to do so is a red flag.

Remember to not speak too negatively about your current job or the people you work with. It's ok to say the schedule isn't working out for you and the family or something life that. Or you are looking for a new challenge - a change of pace.

Pick a confrontation you've had where you can say you stepped back and put yourself in the other person's shoes to understand their perspective and motivation better - and then explain how that helped you constructively resolve the issue where you were both satisfied - or at least ok with the outcome.

If it's true - it's always good to tell people you are task driven - and if that means putting in some extra work to succeed - you are ok with it.

Work on making sure your voice has confidence in it when you speak. Don't mumble. Speak clearly. Have some underlying excitement in your tone. If there is more than one person in the room talking to you - make sure you look at both of them an equal amount of time during the interview if it seems appropriate. Do not cross your arms ever. Sit upright in your seat if you are interviewing in person. Don't slouch.

Interest in management - even if it's slight - is good. People want to hire folks that want to move up in an organization.

Do not lie about anything. I know that's already drilled in your head from LE - but it's ok to project yourself as a little more positive than normal or a little more ambitious. You have to sell yourself.

People want to know three things before you leave an interview.

1) Can you do the job?
2) Will you like the job?
3) Will you fit in well with the rest of the people that work there?

Follow up after an interview with an e-mail thanking them for the opportunity and that you hope to hear from them soon.

I'm sure you know a lot of what I've said already - but even if I have said one or two things that didn't cross your mind it's probably worth the read.

Jimmy

WKR
I'm not in Law Enforcement, but my son is. I've spent 25 years in management and hired probably 150 people in my career. Some have already said it - but I will say it anyway.

#1 - networking. This can be folks at church or at the gun club too - not just the office. I get what you said about being careful about getting the word out that you are looking for a job. My son said the same thing. But statistically it's a huge help with landing a new job.

Sending resumes to job postings where you don't know the company or the people is a crap shoot. Honestly - something on your resume has to stick out to get a call. It could even be something as small as being a boy scout when you were a kid - but something has to stick out to the person reading it. Also - some of the jobs posted on the internet are posted because people that work at the company offering the job know the job being offered sucks - so they passed on it. I took one of those jobs once......learned a lot from that experience. Wish it didn't involve a relocation.

Practice your interview skills. I know that might sound strange - but there is a skill to it. Be prepared for questions like:

1) So why after 10 years are you looking to get out of law enforcement?
2) What do you like about your job? What don't you like?
3) Have you ever had a confrontation with a co-worker and how did you handle it?
4) How do you handle stress?
5) Why did you apply for this position? What are you looking for in the role?
6) Are you willing to work extra hours if needed to get something on a tight schedule done?
7) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
8) Any interest in management?
9) What are your hobbies?
10) Don't be afraid to say you don't know or you aren't sure if you get a question that you just can't answer. I've sometimes kept asking questions just to see if a person will admit they don't know something.
11) Keep your answers clear and concise. Provide detail if they ask - or ask if they want detail. Someone who talks forever without being prompted to do so is a red flag.

Remember to not speak too negatively about your current job or the people you work with. It's ok to say the schedule isn't working out for you and the family or something life that. Or you are looking for a new challenge - a change of pace.

Pick a confrontation you've had where you can say you stepped back and put yourself in the other person's shoes to understand their perspective and motivation better - and then explain how that helped you constructively resolve the issue where you were both satisfied - or at least ok with the outcome.

If it's true - it's always good to tell people you are task driven - and if that means putting in some extra work to succeed - you are ok with it.

Work on making sure your voice has confidence in it when you speak. Don't mumble. Speak clearly. Have some underlying excitement in your tone. If there is more than one person in the room talking to you - make sure you look at both of them an equal amount of time during the interview if it seems appropriate. Do not cross your arms ever. Sit upright in your seat if you are interviewing in person. Don't slouch.

Interest in management - even if it's slight - is good. People want to hire folks that want to move up in an organization.

Do not lie about anything. I know that's already drilled in your head from LE - but it's ok to project yourself as a little more positive than normal or a little more ambitious. You have to sell yourself.

People want to know three things before you leave an interview.

1) Can you do the job?
2) Will you like the job?
3) Will you fit in well with the rest of the people that work there?

Follow up after an interview with an e-mail thanking them for the opportunity and that you hope to hear from them soon.

I'm sure you know a lot of what I've said already - but even if I have said one or two things that didn't cross your mind it's probably worth the read.
Great advice. I've hired a few people as well, and some people would be surprised how a face to face, or a mutual friend/person of good character moves you to the top of the pile. Anyone can look like a good candidate on paper.

sndmn11

"DADDY"
So, to anyone who has gotten out of law enforcement, what do you now do, and how did you break into your specific field? Anyone who has never been in law enforcement, but has experience in human resources or hiring, what advice can you provide? Some of the skills I have are strong communication and negotiation skills, problem solving, networking and intelligence gathering, organization, and management skills. They all should be valuable in the private sector, but to this point, I have not broken through the initial resume screening.
I worked in LE for some time and my career ended due to a DWAI about a decade ago. I work in business development and the overlap in skills is tremendous. Especially the more outbound the role is versus inbound. It is investigation, research, networking, interviewing, problem solving, and getting people to eliminate a lot of noise in selecting the signal that you represent. I have had success turning up meetings with clients that others have pursued for years or that my bosses have thought were unreachable just by connecting dots like an investigator would.

However, I did struggle getting an initial interview in my career change, but once I received face time and was afforded the chance to articulate how my skills developed through LE are indispensable, I had my pick of position offers.