New Bows for New Year! HOYT Buffalos

IMG_6712_zps52609c05.jpg

Staci and I decided to get new bows for 2015. They just came in this week and we've been working on them everyday. I started a blog post about the HOYT Buffalos. Here's the link. http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2014/12/projecthoytbuffalo-initial-set-uptuning.html

Feel free to ask me any questions here on Rokslide.

Happy New Year!!!

Ryan

Beendare

WKR
Good bows but those don't give you as many options as ILF...or at least you have to modify the ILF limbs to fit...not sure. My guess is you will really like them.

I have to tell you though- don't shoot a good ILF rig with carbon foam limbs- it will wreck you for every other trad rig- Grin

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Yeah, I'm really not familiar with these bows. I'm hoping to learn a lot more soon. From what I understand, the Dorado/GM is just a change of bushings (Grand Prix), but the Buffalo/Tiburon is using their Formula system (not sure though). It looks like Uukha makes a Formula carbon limb adapter for their limbs. I know that there is some talk about custom bowyers building limbs for the Buffalo/Tiburon riser.

I've never had a "true ILF", but I did have the first generation DAS with carbon foam limbs, so I know exactly what you mean. It seems I'm slowly working my way back in that direction. If I'm correct with my understanding and they end up making a XS carbon foam Formula limb, I may need to film dip one!

Last edited:
I've got a Hoyt Buffalo that I picked up a few years ago and have a set of F4 limbs for it too. Really fun to shoot and I love playing with it, just wish I could shoot a recurve well enough to hunt with.

Mike

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
I've got a Hoyt Buffalo that I picked up a few years ago and have a set of F4 limbs for it too. Really fun to shoot and I love playing with it, just wish I could shoot a recurve well enough to hunt with.

Mike

That's awesome Mike! Is there anything I could help you with so that you may consider hunting with it one day?

Aloha!
Ryan

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Beendare, here's a look at the Formula limb mount. I would say it's like a "stretched out" ILF system. (but again my ilf knowledge is very minimal)

IMG_6727_zps0f15174b.jpg

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Yeah,
i don't know what it takes to adapt ILF limbs to that- not sure it matters, really. The bow with the limbs they come with are good. I bet you really like it.

I'm only 1/2 joking on the carbon/foam thing though they are the best I've personally shot. There are plenty of other sweet shooting limbs out there. It really comes down to where you draw the line...and personally i think i'm better off practicing more and worrying about equipment less. I was yearning for some Border Hex 6.5 limbs...but ended up spending those $$ on my kids as the WW Inno's and the SF Elite + limbs I have are plenty good.

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Yeah,
i don't know what it takes to adapt ILF limbs to that- not sure it matters, really. The bow with the limbs they come with are good. I bet you really like it.

I'm only 1/2 joking on the carbon/foam thing though they are the best I've personally shot. There are plenty of other sweet shooting limbs out there. It really comes down to where you draw the line...and personally i think i'm better off practicing more and worrying about equipment less. I was yearning for some Border Hex 6.5 limbs...but ended up spending those $$ on my kids as the WW Inno's and the SF Elite + limbs I have are plenty good.

So far, the limb speeds is the only drawback on this bow. It is slower than I expected, but these are only my initial results. I need to run the numbers again. Also, I don't have these limbs bottomed out so it'll be interesting to see how the bottomed out 60lb limbs perform. My friends with Buffalos say they are getting comparable speeds to their other recurves.

Last edited:
Ryan, you may have mentioned it and I missed it but is your 1/2" nock set measured to the top, bottom, or throat of the nock? I assume your shooting three fingers under?

OP
Ryan K Sanpei
Ryan, you may have mentioned it and I missed it but is your 1/2" nock set measured to the top, bottom, or throat of the nock? I assume your shooting three fingers under?

Yes, I do shoot three under and my nock point is 1/2" above zero. It's measured to the bottom of my string nock. Here's a video on how I measure my nocks.

http://youtu.be/-BawV2_I5s8

When I shot compounds, I would explain it as being 1/4" above center and this is with an easton axis diameter shaft.

Last edited:
OP
Ryan K Sanpei
A few guys have been messaging me about tiller adjustment, so here's the video.

[video=youtube_share;qwmmp5OQi7E]http://youtu.be/qwmmp5OQi7E[/video]