New Article on the Ulmer Edge

It does look nice. Unfortunately, I think that since the blades point back it will be considered a barbed head by many states and would be illegal there. Make sure to check out the regulations where you hunt before you buy some of these.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was shooting them and broke blades on two of the three broadheads out of the first package. My archery shop sent them back to TT just so they can examine them.

Mike P

FNG
Non-barbed

It does look nice. Unfortunately, I think that since the blades point back it will be considered a barbed head by many states and would be illegal there. Make sure to check out the regulations where you hunt before you buy some of these.

Larry

When pulled backwards the blades flip 180 degrees (give or take) and it becomes a non-barbed head...legal in all states and provinces that allow expandables

Cheers

Mike

ktowncamo

WKR
I've got a couple of 3-packs sitting here. Haven't made the time to shoot them yet. Gonna be a tough call between these and the reliable (for me) Grim Reaper, but they do look pretty sweet.

bohntr

WKR
I was shooting them and broke blades on two of the three broadheads out of the first package. My archery shop sent them back to TT just so they can examine them.

Same here.....the package I tested ended up having broken blades from a foam target. Good think they were a gift for testing and I didn't have to spend money on them. Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

trkyslr

WKR
There is a huge thread on archery talk where a guy has tested a ton of broadheads and so far the Ulmer Edge is the only one to blow through the test medium. Best penetration so far out of like 30 heads.

The shuttle T also went through the medium on that test and penetrated the ulmer edge

Yeah I saw that to. I am a huge Slick Trick fan, but after seeing that test and after hearing that the Black Ops Shuttle T is sharper than the original it is really got me thinking about change. Plus I am cursed with the tinkering bug and can't let things be. I always have to change things up. I will most definately be trying the Shuttle T Black Ops next time I go back home to wa.

This year I am shooting the 125 grain SS Ulmer Edge. So far I have had no problems with them. The are built the same as the current Ulmer Edge except the entire head is stainless steel. They should be on the market for 2013.
I have always shot the Shuttle T and had great luck but I am testing the new head for the boys and Trophy Taker.

Lawnboi

WKR
I saw a pack today. Was really tempted to get them. But didnt. May have to get them and test them out on some whitetail this year.

I still like the t3. From the looks of it though the t3 and edge heads are the only expandables I will consider at this point. Still gona have my shuttles in the quiver, but it would be nice to lose some of that wind resistance.

I think its good that they have a company like trophy taker behind them.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am using the prototype 125 grain Ulmer Edge threaded for the Deep Six component system on my A/C Injexions.

These things shoot so dang good and right with the FP. I will be using them on all my out of state hunts. Great shooting and really well designed broadhead in my opinion.

Coop

I have an urge to try the ulmer edges on a deer hunt. But scared at some experiences that Guys have. Some guys say great things others say bad things. The breaking blades into targets doesn't sound good. I hear great accuracy from these heads thou. The SS ones sound good thou. Maybe I should just stick with trusty old fixed blades.

I have been getting mixed reports from guys on the heads...not much being said about their shot selection or conditions. I have built my KS back-up bow with my ACCs and will be running them on ALL my treestand whitetail doe hunts ( I don't hunt Whitetail bucks in KS ). Need to find out for myself...I'll let everyone know!!!

ckleeves

WKR
They worked well for me and my buddies this year. 3 deer and 1 elk, all one shot kills and the heads looked great after the kill. On my buck I can honestly say I would screw it on another arrow and shoot another critter with it, something I have never been able to say about any other mechanical and I have shot a lot of them.

Time will tell, as 4 animals isn't really enough to sell me 100% on them but as of now I have no complaints. All the entry holes were awesome and the pivot around bone action is legit.

I thinking about trying them. I saw a guy on archery talk that put rage 2inch blades on a ulmer edge. Called it the raging ulmer. Basically the ulmer edge with a larger cut. Interesting