New 7mm PRC

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Why would I do that?

Obviously many people believe that 15/7,000ths of a pound difference is meaningful.

Just like all the overlap in cartridges. What does the 6.5 CM do that the 6.5 Swede doesn’t?

Answer: sell more rifles.

And in the case of the 7 PRC, what does it do that the plethora of 7mm cartridges already in existence not do?

Same answer as above.

I’ll stick with what I have but I hope gun/ammo/component manufacturers make a ton of money.

And you didn’t answer the original question.

P
In summary, 7 PRC shoots long, heavy for caliber bullets with really high BC’s at velocities that enable it to be a great long range cartridge. Not to mention Hornady made the chamber with tighter tolerances than all the other factory 7s to aid in general accuracy. In addition, if achieves these ballistics without being massively over bore with recoil and poor barrel life.

For someone getting into a 7mm cartridge, 7 PRC is the way of the future. If you already have one and only hunt to say 4-500 yards, it won’t gain you much.

Do you think it could have anything to do with BC? Never dug super deep on all this stuff, but I’m sure true numbers will come out eventually.

The BC absolutely makes a difference and that's part of my point. The hornady 300wm vs hornady 7 PRC comparison shows the 7 PRC having MORE energy at the muzzle. That's not how physics work when comparing a 83 grain case to a 93 grain case with a bigger bore. A 300 wm with the comparable 30 cal bullet (212 ELDx) at comparable 300wm pressures, might show a different picture. More recoil for certain but also higher energy a lot further out. The 210 ABLR example is a pretty fair comparison but I still think a 7 PRC @ 3k FPS has to be at a higher pressure than a 300wm with a sleek 210-215 grain bullet @ 2815 FPS. The factory Berger 300wm 215 ammo i've shot was in the 2900 FPS ballpark.

To clarify - I think @TheViking's takeaways are spot on. Just nitpicking.

A good comparison between PRC models but not showing energy: https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/10/27/7mm-prc-vs-6-5-prc-vs-300-prc/

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
In summary, 7 PRC shoots long, heavy for caliber bullets with really high BC’s at velocities that enable it to be a great long range cartridge. Not to mention Hornady made the chamber with tighter tolerances than all the other factory 7s to aid in general accuracy. In addition, if achieves these ballistics without being massively over bore with recoil and poor barrel life.

This about sums up my thoughts perfectly. A nice sized cartridge to shoot high BC bullets at speeds plenty adequate for long range without burning 100 grains of powder and compromising barrel life or recoil.

bmart2622

WKR
Why would I do that?

Obviously many people believe that 15/7,000ths of a pound difference is meaningful.

Just like all the overlap in cartridges. What does the 6.5 CM do that the 6.5 Swede doesn’t?

Answer: sell more rifles.

And in the case of the 7 PRC, what does it do that the plethora of 7mm cartridges already in existence not do?

Same answer as above.

I’ll stick with what I have but I hope gun/ammo/component manufacturers make a ton of money.

And you didn’t answer the original question.

P
Shoot a 180gr factory loaded high BC bullet out of your factory 7mm rem mag at 3000fps!!! Oh yeah, you cant do that with a rem mag but you can with a PRC

Last edited:
I’ve been eyeing this cartridge for some time now. I’m at that point where I need to change barrels for my 7 mag. Once I get through this hunting season the 7 PRC is what I replace it with. I’m hoping other reloading companies like Redding or RCBS put out dues for this cartridge. But just like everything else with ammo, components I feel will be out of stock.

B23

WKR
Shoot a 180gr factory loaded high BC bullet out of your factory 7mm rem mag at 3000fps!!! Oh yeah, you cant do that with a rem mag but you can with a PRC
And I think this is what everyone needs to keep in mind when reading anything comparing this new 7 PRC to other similar case capacity sized 7mm's is they are making these comparisons based on factory loaded ammo to SAAMI spec chamber pressures and freebore length as well as factory chambered rifles that are, also, done to SAAMI spec.

In custom barreled and custom chambered as well as throated rifles in 7 WSM, 7 Rem mag, or the new 7 PRC, because they all have very similar case capacities, when loaded to the same pressure shot out of hypothetically identical barrels, with the same bullet they all would yield nearly the same velocity, BUT, with factory ammo in factory chambered rifles, even with the same bullet and same length barrel, the velocities would likely be considerably different.

And I think this is what everyone needs to keep in mind when reading anything comparing this new 7 PRC to other similar case capacity sized 7mm's is they are making these comparisons based on factory loaded ammo to SAAMI spec chamber pressures and freebore length as well as factory chambered rifles that are, also, done to SAAMI spec.

In custom barreled and custom chambered as well as throated rifles in 7 WSM, 7 Rem mag, or the new 7 PRC, because they all have very similar case capacities, when loaded to the same pressure shot out of hypothetically identical barrels, with the same bullet they all would yield nearly the same velocity, BUT, with factory ammo in factory chambered rifles, even with the same bullet and same length barrel, the velocities would likely be considerably different.
Also it looks like Hornady is doing the same tight reamer design that's gonna cause clickers like the other two prcs..
A handloader will likely need a custom reamer to fix the sizing issues.
I think the 7 prc is a decent cartridge that could've been great, I'm totally underwhelmed as a handloader.

B23

WKR
Also it looks like Hornady is doing the same tight reamer design that's gonna cause clickers like the other two prcs..
A handloader will likely need a custom reamer to fix the sizing issues.
I think the 7 prc is a decent cartridge that could've been great, I'm totally underwhelmed as a handloader.
I'm guessing you would have preferred it to be something with the case capacity and or similar to the 7 LRM or 7mm Dakota? I get that but I'm guessing, maybe, the consensus of the masses is they want something more mid size case capacity, something in the 80-83gr H20 range, similar to the 7 WSM or 7 Rem mag.

I hand load, so oddly sales pitch angled comparisons of factory ammo offerings are of little interest.
My large 7mm’s all launch the 180 Eldm fine.

Other than the 8 twist barrel, I don’t see it having much over the WSM, SAUM, RM, or 280AI.
And given I don’t care much for factory tubes and tend to buy custom tubes, the factory spec twist rate don’t mean much.
For me quality brass is more important, and Hornady hasn’t appeared to be quality.

So to shine the 7prc will need a few of the high end brass producers to get behind it.
Once that happens I may look that direction. My 9.25 twist 7RM and 8 twist 7SAUM would like another brother.

Now if Rock Creek would stop messing with contract work and get back to turning out consumer barrels. A 5R, 8 twist, cut rifled, 7mm tube would be on order.

I'm guessing you would have preferred it to be something with the case capacity and or similar to the 7 LRM or 7mm Dakota? I get that but I'm guessing, maybe, the consensus of the masses is they want something more mid size case capacity, something in the 80-83gr H20 range, similar to the 7 WSM or 7 Rem mag.
Something like that, really I just wish they'd have designed it around the fatter wsm case with a 35 degree shoulder, and no stupid tight saami chamber..
That would have been a sick med length 7 with a capacity around 88-89 grains.
lets be honest the 7 prc is not a competition round its gonna be used 95% for hunting, why not split the capacity of a 7RM and 28 Nos?
It'd have been a match made in heaven for H1000.
Oh well.. if lapua ever makes brass for it I'll probably design a custom reamer with a 40 degree shoulder and .005 clearance above the web

B23

WKR
Something like that, really I just wish they'd have designed it around the fatter wsm case with a 35 degree shoulder, and no stupid tight saami chamber..
That would have been a sick med length 7 with a capacity around 88-89 grains.
lets be honest the 7 prc is not a competition round its gonna be used 95% for hunting, why not split the capacity of a 7RM and 28 Nos?
It'd have been a match made in heaven for H1000.
Oh well.. if lapua ever makes brass for it I'll probably design a custom reamer with a 40 degree shoulder and .005 clearance above the web
Sounds like you'd like a AI'd version of the 7mm Blaser mag. But, I think that ship has sailed and except for some of us that bought up a bunch of new Norma 7 Blaser mag brass when it was still available I think the 7mm Blaser mag is a gone/done deal.

A few years ago, back when Norma brass was still available, there were a couple guys over on LRH that had Improved versions of the 7 Blaser built and were getting pretty impressive speeds with the heavies and if I recall they were only using 24-26 inch barrels.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Saw 20 boxes in the wild on Wednesday
10 eld m 10 eld-x

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OSUsmokey

Lil-Rokslider
Any hints to the new savage rifles in this caliber? Looking for a factory rifle in this caliber to buy before the Oregon December 8 deadline

TheViking

WKR
Grabbed 10 boxes.

Not sure if I’m going to do a build or not, but have ammo at least.

Someone could take these off my hands possibly.

7f4c7e1b0cf306f8ef9abd161d999640.jpg

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hitting the shelves

Attachments

• 7AF0BDEB-FB2F-496A-A569-ADBCE04B4889.jpeg
    7AF0BDEB-FB2F-496A-A569-ADBCE04B4889.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 53

tak

WKR
I haven't found any yet, checked Cabelas, Academy, etc. Still have 2 boxes on backorder at midway.