New 7mm PRC

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Another caliber you won't be able to find ammo for?
Being a Hornady offering, I'm sure ammo will be available.

Rifle availability is the real question. Looks like Savage might be on board. I'm sure Christiansen Arms will chamber it. Who knows with Browning/Winchester/Remington and other bigger makers.

Edit: The Savage website shows 11 models chambered for 7mm PRC already.

TheViking

WKR

Rifle availability is the real question. Looks like Savage might be on board. I'm sure Christiansen Arms will chamber it. Who knows with Browning/Winchester/Remington and other bigger makers.

Fierce has offerings already as well.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
SAAMI Drawings:

Attachments

• Public-Introduction-7mm-Precision-Rifle-Cartridge-2022-06-16-rev1.pdf
    180.2 KB · Views: 21

Ammo will be harder to get than rifles I think.

Unckebob

WKR
Looks fairly interesting. Ready to see some real world reviews and see some numbers/loads

All the reports online for now are from people who are friends of Hornady. They got ammo well before they posted their reviews and videos today.

TheViking

WKR
I get those 180 ELD-Ms at least 100 fps faster in my 1/8, 26” 7 RM over Retumbo and Peterson brass (X-Bolt). Hornady is scraping the bottom of the PRC barrel now.

No doubt. But vast majority of hunters don’t reload, or have custom aftermarket barrels on their rifles. Stock rifles have a 1:9 twist, and most factory is 160, some a little higher.

7 PRC rifles will have 1:8 twists and factory ammo of 175. These rounds will outperform the factory 7RM by a decent bit.

There’s a lot more to it than being able to push X grain bullet X fps. Shoulder design is a big part of it. It’s creates more consistent ammo.

Do you have an rifle sitting around chambered in an ‘old’ caliber that might shoot X brand really well, but it shoots other ammo like crap? These new cartridge designs help alleviate a lot of that. More consistency, better efficiency, inherently better accuracy.

The general public wants to go to Sportsman’s Warehouse, pick up a Tikka, grab a few boxes of bullets, throw a $500 scope on it and go hunt.

Last edited:
No doubt. But vast majority of hunters don’t reload, or have custom aftermarket barrels on their rifles. Stock rifles have a 1:9 twist, and most factory is 160, some a little higher.

7 PRC rifles will have 1:8 twists and factory ammo of 175. These rounds will outperform the factory 7RM by a decent bit.

There’s a lot more to it than being able to push X grain bullet X fps. Shoulder design is a big part of it. It’s creates more consistent ammo.

Do you have an rifle sitting around chambered in an ‘old’ caliber that might should X brand really well, but it shoots other ammo like crap? These new cartridge designs help alleviate a lot of that. More consistency, better efficiency, inherently better accuracy.

The general public wants to go to Sportsman’s Warehouse, pick up a Tikka, grab a few boxes of bullets, throw a $500 scope on it and go hunt.

All great points. The rifle I'm speaking of is a Hells Canyon Speed 26" 1/8 twist. No doubt $1200 or so (far more than I spent on my first 30ish rifles) but it's by far a custom. I traded a black gun and paid another $500 for one. Put one of the $300 SWFA scopes from reading nonstop Rokslide propaganda (it's all good!) and it shoots like a monster, even with janky PPU brass, IMR powder, and non-mag primers.

At $3 a squeeze a box ain't no married man with kids making under $120k a year gonna enjoy that 7 PRC is my point. But you are definitely right - Hornady has a stockpile of engineers and marketing gurus lining all this stuff out. The BC rage is about like the short mag rage we saw 20ish years ago.

BDWMT

FNG
Curious which brass manufacturers will be getting onboard and offering this caliber.

All the reports online for now are from people who are friends of Hornady. They got ammo well before they posted their reviews and videos today.
Backfire on youtube has been putting out info on 7 PRC before it was officially released. I dont think he has been getting support from Hornady. I think his stuff has been pretty objective.

Steve Hornady is garbage sucking on the government teet while relying on suckers to keep riding the train of 1980s reruns. This one is a dud.