New 7mm PRC

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Any hints to the new savage rifles in this caliber? Looking for a factory rifle in this caliber to buy before the Oregon December 8 deadline
Are you guys going to be able to go out of state and buy long guns? Havent done a deep dive on this issues yet.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

tak

WKR

Unckebob

WKR
I’ve been eyeing this cartridge for some time now. I’m at that point where I need to change barrels for my 7 mag. Once I get through this hunting season the 7 PRC is what I replace it with. I’m hoping other reloading companies like Redding or RCBS put out dues for this cartridge. But just like everything else with ammo, components I feel will be out of stock.

If you are going to do that, I would recommence buying at least 5 (10 if you can) boxes of 7 PRC ammo while the initial launch ammo is available. That will ensure you have enough brass to work with.

Unckebob

WKR
Theoretically, if there’s 270 and 30-06 ammo on the shelf, but let’s say no 6.5CM, 6.5 PRC, 300 WM, whatever….doesn’t that mean the 270 and 30-06 are less popular?

…theoretically of course

I limited my original post to two choices that I was actually looking to buy.
- There were loads of 243, 6.5CM and 308 options available to choose from. I didn't mention them because I don't consider SA cartridges competition for the 7PRC. There was so much 308 ammo available that one could Mag dump an AR-10 without breaking the bank.
- There were a couple options each for 300WM and 7mm RM. Certainly enough to make it through the season.
- 6.5PRC, there was 1 load choice, a Hornady 147g Match load, in low quantities.

For now, the 7 PRC is going to suffer from the fact other ammo companies haven't decided to support it yet. I expect that will change over time, but it might take a few years.

Last edited:

bkshafer

FNG
Curious which brass manufacturers will be getting onboard and offering this caliber.
I talked to Petersons about a week ago and they said they are scheduled to produce brass for the 7mm PRC hopefully by mid 2023. Lapua also told me although the don't have any concrete plans right now if it's as successful as the 6.5 and 300 PRC they would most likely produce it as well.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Just starting to see 300prc be in stock again and just started being able to find 6arc again so I doubt it
The site I use to find ammo has had offerings for all of these cartridges fairly regularly. Albeit, quite pricey at times. But it’s out there

Samg1707

FNG
The site I use to find ammo has had offerings for all of these cartridges fairly regularly. Albeit, quite pricey at times. But it’s out there
Agreed if you could find it in stock it was 300 prc was absolutely ridiculous. When both of the rounds came out tho it was a pain to find them, I have a feeling 7 prc will be the same

Tf44

FNG
For me, my 7mm rem mag isn't getting replaced. But for someone in the market for a new long range hunting rifle it looks like a great option.

Lewichris

FNG
I talked to Petersons about a week ago and they said they are scheduled to produce brass for the 7mm PRC hopefully by mid 2023. Lapua also told me although the don't have any concrete plans right now if it's as successful as the 6.5 and 300 PRC they would most likely produce it as well.
I am sure ADG will jump on board sooner then later.

H80Hunter

WKR
Wondering if enough people have shot this yet to answer this for me:

The backfire.tv recoil table shows this being a little lower recoil than a 300 win mag but also most places show the 7 PRC pushing about a 180 grain bullet close to 3,000 fps which beats most factory 300 Win mag loads at that weight?

I guess I’m curious where this falls relative to a .30-06 and 300 win mag recoil wise, I imagine it’s maybe splitting hairs but looking for feedback.

JakeSCH

WKR
Wondering if enough people have shot this yet to answer this for me:

The backfire.tv recoil table shows this being a little lower recoil than a 300 win mag but also most places show the 7 PRC pushing about a 180 grain bullet close to 3,000 fps which beats most factory 300 Win mag loads at that weight?

I guess I’m curious where this falls relative to a .30-06 and 300 win mag recoil wise, I imagine it’s maybe splitting hairs but looking for feedback.

Recoil is a function of bullet weight, powder weight, gun weight, and muzzle velocity.

Looking at various possible max loads for each, it basically will fall right in the middle of the two...but basically it can get the same muzzle performance as a 300 WM w/ less gun powder. That is where the reduction in recoil comes from.

JP1200

FNG
So..factory supported non belted 7 mag. Makes a lot of sense for the many who don’t reload. That seems to be the plan on these prc rounds. Take what handloaders can accomplish with faster twists and custom freebird, then make it a factory offering.

So just an update on this rifle. I finally got my reamer from JGS to chamber this and avoid clickers. (Ordered in Dec and got in Feb). Pretty good turn around in this environment. So I can complete my build and fire form then reload.

Just a side track on the 7mm. I started shooting F Class and used a 284 standard chambering. But then got my hands on a wildcat 7mm. It is a 6.5 PRC necked up to 7mm. But not the one most guys are shooting. Some call it the 7PRCW. Mine came from Bryan Blake and I take the host case of the 6.5PRC, expand it to 284, load up light and fire form in a no turn neck chamber. It literally reforms the case longer with a slightly shorter neck, with still enough neck to grab all the bearing surface needed. This gives a Berger 180 Hybrid a 100 FPS more at lower nodes and way more above that.
315588205_10160743776253804_3822651540258995081_n.jpg

This in the area of the 7SAUM for reference. Great set up for 1000 yard matches. The 7mm family is certainly the way to go.