New 7mm PRC

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting for sure, I guess the real test of success will be rifle manufacturers chambering for it and other ammunition companies producing ammo for it. I believe right now Savage Arms and Fierce offer rifles chambered in 7 PRC.

It seems you’ve really got a dislike for hornady or something and it’s either clouding your thought process or you haven’t a clue about cartridge design.
Yes, I have a dislike for Hornady but still don’t understand what gap this fills… maybe I don’t have a clue but shot several hundred rounds of hand loaded heavy 284 bullets this year and have many rifles in this space.

How many 260s, 270s, 280s, and 300s are on the market now for guys to pick up two boxes of ammo for $150? Cartridge design or not I just don’t see it.

Here’s a flashback on case design… the 2000s. Faster, more accurate, less recoil! Get you some, now, you’ll be the talk of the woods!

Not knocking anyone that wants to get the 7 PRC or any other rifle, just saying it’s more marketing than it is innovation. The 6.5CM and 300 PRC were great additions but now they’re milking those concepts. I get it just not excited as other guys.

82124720-05D6-475A-9919-993103B384B3.jpeg

Unckebob

WKR
It looks interesting. Looks like same powder capacity as 7rem mag. Touch faster than 7wsm and 7saum.
I’ve had all 3 and currently have a 7rem mag and 7saum.
Me likes some 7mm’s!

If good brass becomes available and the smiths get reamers I might try one. Looks like it’s just a tube change on a 7rem mag to get there.

No 280AI In your collection?

You will need probably need new bolt head in addition to a new barrel to switch to the 7mm Sansabelt.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a flashback on case design… the 2000s. Faster, more accurate, less recoil! Get you some, now, you’ll be the talk of the woods!

Not knocking anyone that wants to get the 7 PRC or any other rifle, just saying it’s more marketing than it is innovation. The 6.5CM and 300 PRC were great additions but now they’re milking those concepts. I get it just not excited as other guys.

View attachment 467986
You are right about it not being anything earth shattering.
However, as someone who's primary hunting rifle is a 7mm RM (with limited funds to put into firearms) it does improve on the 7 RM. I wanted to shoot heavier, high bc bullets but am limited to bullet weights in the 160's due to the factory 1 in 9.5" twist. There are also those who hate belted cartridges (I've never had an issue reloading them).
To me it's just a modernized more efficient 7 mag that can shoot heavier bullets in the 170's and 180's at similar velocities (2900-3000 fps). I don't plan on replacing my 7 mag any time soon, but when I do, or if I was in the market for one, why not increase your options (and dare I say performance) with a 7 PRC.

Northpark

WKR
How long until someone necks it down to 6.5?
I would actually be interested in that one. The 7prc is already making me want a tikka with a prefit carbon barrel. Seems like if you necked down the 7 to 6.5 you’d have something that would launch some sleek 6.5 bullets but would be quite as much of barrel burner as the 26 nosler or 6.5-300wby.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
From Hornady's youtube podcast comment section. Enough manufacturer's there to please anyone.

Hornady Manufacturing
Pinned by Hornady Manufacturing

Hornady Manufacturing

23 hours ago

GUN MAKERS PRODUCING THE 7mm PRC Allterra Arms, Atlus Shooting Solutions, Best of the West, Christensen Arms, Fierce Firearms, GA Precision, Gunwerks, Hill Country Rifles, H-S Precision, Horizon Firearms, J.P. Sauer & Sohn, McWhorter Custom Rifles, Proof Research, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Seekins Precision, Short Action Customs, Springfield Armory (coming 2023), Stuteville Precision, TS Customs, & West Texas Ordnance.
Show less

Yes, I have a dislike for Hornady but still don’t understand what gap this fills… maybe I don’t have a clue but shot several hundred rounds of hand loaded heavy 284 bullets this year and have many rifles in this space.

How many 260s, 270s, 280s, and 300s are on the market now for guys to pick up two boxes of ammo for $150? Cartridge design or not I just don’t see it.

I don't see anyone saying it's earth shattering and going to change the game, it is just an incremental improvement on what is currently out there. It capitalizes on the compromises made in other cartridges out there. I don't see anyone saying joe 6 pack with a basic 7 RM should get rid of all his shit and do this because it's going to make a big difference. It's the people who geek out over the details and admittedly spend more on guns than is necessary that are excited about it. I see no reason to be so negative over that?

The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are very popular and for good reason.

The 7 PRC factory ammo notably outperforms both in drop and wind drift at distance without being outrageously overbored like 28 noser or 7 STW. I imagine it'll be quite a bit cheaper than 28 nosler or 7stw ammo too.

Last edited:
From Hornady's youtube podcast comment section. Enough manufacturer's there to please anyone.

Hornady Manufacturing
Pinned by Hornady Manufacturing

Hornady Manufacturing

23 hours ago

GUN MAKERS PRODUCING THE 7mm PRC Allterra Arms, Atlus Shooting Solutions, Best of the West, Christensen Arms, Fierce Firearms, GA Precision, Gunwerks, Hill Country Rifles, H-S Precision, Horizon Firearms, J.P. Sauer & Sohn, McWhorter Custom Rifles, Proof Research, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Seekins Precision, Short Action Customs, Springfield Armory (coming 2023), Stuteville Precision, TS Customs, & West Texas Ordnance.
Show less

Seekins eh. Wonder how it'll feed out of the long ass 4" LA mags.

In regards to necking it down to 6.5, I don't see that as particularly appealing like I didn't find a 6.5 WSM appealing because it's getting pretty dang overbore. It'd be about the same as a 6.5 WSM or 6.5 RPM. 6.5 SAUM, x284, or PRC fit nice spots IMO.

B23

WKR
I don't see anyone saying it's earth shattering and going to change the game, it is just an incremental improvement on what is currently out there. It capitalizes on the compromises made in other cartridges out there. I don't see anyone saying joe 6 pack with a basic 7 RM should get rid of all his shit and do this because it's going to make a big difference. It's the people who geek out over the details and admittedly spend more on guns than is necessary to are excited about it. I see no reason to be so negative over that?

The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC are very popular and for good reason.

The 7 PRC factory ammo notably outperforms both in drop and wind drift at distance without being outrageously overbored like 28 noser or 7 STW. I imagine it'll be quite a bit cheaper than 28 nosler or 7stw ammo too.
Exactly!

The 7 PRC is just filling a void where one exists. That void being, up until now, there wasn't a factory made medium size 7mm that came with either the right barrel twist or was throated properly to shoot the heavy for caliber .284 bullets without sacrificing case capacity.

This new 7 PRC is specifically target to those that want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets in a not so overbore cartridge, like the 7 RUM or 28 Nosler.

Personally, I think the case design is a knock off of the 7mm Blaser mag because they're damn near are identical but the 7 Blaser mag was never marketed and the vast majority of shooters don't know what a 7mm Blaser mag is and they've never even heard of it so good for Hornady for creating their own version and getting behind it with great factory support.

I applaud Hornady for continually creating new cartridges that not only fill a void but they market and greatly support those new cartridges. If they're making a good profit in doing so, good for them!

I just don't understand all the buttburn some people get about these things. Here's a thought, how about we all just be grateful we have lots of options to choose from. If this or any other new cartridge Hornady or another manufacture comes along and you aren't interested, just swipe left and go about your day.

The reason the 7prc is going to be great is that it will fit a tikka. Plus brass will be produced from multiple sources. Also lots of wildcat potential here, it’s a unique size case. Kind of a Goldilocks magnum, not too much, not too little.
Sorry for the office topic question. What calibers would be a direct swap?

bmart2622

WKR
Sorry for the office topic question. What calibers would be a direct swap?
There isnt one. There isnt another cartridge available in a factory rifle that can shoot heavy for caliber high BC 284 bullets at 3000 fps with factory ammo that doesn't kick like a mule and burn a ton of powder

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
The Ron Spomer video summed it up well, I believe. Up to 400 or 500 yards, no real improvement over other 7mm cartridges out there. The main benifits are the tighter tolerances in the chambers, so all barrels will essentially be “match grade”, and higher bc bullets to reduce wind deflection at long distances (>500 yds).

There isnt one. There isnt another cartridge available in a factory rifle that can shoot heavy for caliber high BC 284 bullets at 3000 fps with factory ammo that doesn't kick like a mule and burn a ton of powder
Sorry poorly stated. What Tikka calibers would be a good donor for a barrel swap to the 7PRC?