New 300 win mag suggestions

So right now I have a sako a7 roughtech 300 win mag and I cannot seem to get better than about 1.75 moa at 100 yards with multiple types of factory ammo. That’s all I have access at this point, not reloading. I am wondering what recommendations are for a different rifle in 300 win. So far I am thinking about the Christensen Mesa, browning hells canyon lr, and not sure what else. It’s main purpose is hunting so weight is a concern, probably not more than 8lbs. But would also like something that I can shoot out to some distance. Not wanting to spend over probably $1300. Thanks

If you are stuck with factory ammo I would recommend a Christensen Arms shooting Berger 215 factory ammo(used to be ABM).

I use a tikka t3x superlight with nosler trophy grade and it shoots better than I due. caution on the browning I owned a stainless stalker last year and the stock has the same rubberized grip as the hells canyon. the stock fell apart on me in 7 days of rain so I got rid of it. it shot really well so I would stay away from that stock. I talked with browning at the nra show and they said there had been a lot of problems with that coating on the stock. pm me your phone and ill send you pictures they are on my phone. so far I have zero complaints on the t3x superlight from cabelas. camo stock stainless fluted barrel and the smoothest action ive ever owned.

If you need lighter weight, Mesa.

If weight isnt a huge factor, then used Ridgeline.

I personally cant shoot a light rifle worth squat, so a Ridgeline is my choice.

YMMV

If you need lighter weight, Mesa.

If weight isnt a huge factor, then used Ridgeline.

I personally cant shoot a light rifle worth squat, so a Ridgeline is my choice.

YMMV

I think you have that backwards.

Mesa - 7.3lbs
Ridgeline - 6.8lbs

I just went through the process and got a Ridgeline. In your price range you could grab a mesa and get the same results as I did. Call 1shot and tell them you are a rokslide member and see what their price is.

LINK TO MY THREAD

I'd scrap everything but the trigger and action. Then take it to a smith that knows Sakos to re-barrel it, do some work to the trigger, and bed a good stock to it. You might be a tad over your 1300 bucks, but you'd have a rifle better than anything you can buy new for $1300 bucks.

Though I have thought of that idea, I need to sell the gun to fund a new one. And using an action off of a $1300 gun isn’t in the cards.

Also for those who have sent a gun back to the factory, what is the process? I have never done it. Does it take long?

Sako has a 5 shot sub MOA guarantee. I have the same rifle in the long range version that I don't think has ever printed a 5 shot group that large, id send the rifle back.

You can always sell your rifle and watch LongRangeHuntingForums.com for a custom rifle for sale. They have dozens of new rifles posted every day. You can also get smoking deals on them, without the wait of dealing with a gunsmith. A lot of guys selling good rifles for good prices there.

Guns For Sale | Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Maybe I’m just a wimp but I can’t get good groups with my 300 Win either. If I didn’t hunt around so many big brown furry animals I would never shoot it again.

Most folks can do substantially better shooting a smaller caliber/cartridge. Kind of nice shooting 7mm/6.5mm stuff and things keep dying. Who wants to pump a bunch of rounds through a 7# 300 magnum? At least this old guy doesn't.

1. Have you had a buddy or two see if they can hold a group using a couple different loads? Just curious.
2. Have you tried shooting it dirty. I and 2 buddies all have Sakos and have come to the conclusion they like a fouled barrel.

If it still won’t hold an MOA send it back.

I personally sent a finnlight 75 in 300 win mag back and they sent me a shiny new one 3 weeks later.

PM me and I’ll email you a copy of the letter I sent them. Honey over vinegar is the right approach.

I am going to have a few other people shoot it and maybe have someone try to work up a load. I know I am not the best shooter on the planet but I believe I am capable of better than 2 moa.

Also I went again today and really worked on my form and rest and had about the same results, maybe just alittle better. I took a picture of the target but can’t figure out how to post it.

So right now I have a sako a7 roughtech 300 win mag and I cannot seem to get better than about 1.75 moa at 100 yards with multiple types of factory ammo. That’s all I have access at this point, not reloading. I am wondering what recommendations are for a different rifle in 300 win. So far I am thinking about the Christensen Mesa, browning hells canyon lr, and not sure what else. It’s main purpose is hunting so weight is a concern, probably not more than 8lbs. But would also like something that I can shoot out to some distance. Not wanting to spend over probably $1300. Thanks

What is the scope and mounting system?

Back