Nevada hunting

Dunndm

WKR
Hey everyone!

After being off here for a while and dealing with some personal situations I’m getting back into hunting. Wife and I moved from CA to SC, back to CA and now to Nevada, near vegas. We are moving there for her work. That being said, I am just curious if anyone on here is in that surrounding area and if so. Where do you go to hunt? Lake mead is a stones throw away for fishing so that’s covered.
As far as hunting I don’t see anything even close. Would I buy out of state tags and go to my CA spots, or Utah, etc?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I bow and rifle hunt but since I don’t have all that much time to scout it’ll be mostly rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
You have a whole state with way better hunting tha Ca, why would you want to pay NR price to hunt the worst state in the west. North of Vegas is a whole lot of BLM and national forest. I’ve hunted Nevada once and wish I could draw a tag there every year. Just start applying for tags to units to the north of you. Lots of harvest and tag information on the fish and game website.

You have a whole state with way better hunting tha Ca, why would you want to pay NR price to hunt the worst state in the west. North of Vegas is a whole lot of BLM and national forest. I’ve hunted Nevada once and wish I could draw a tag there every year. Just start applying for tags to units to the north of you. Lots of harvest and tag information on the fish and game website.

He probably would want to hunt California because it is familiar and odds are he won’t have a tag in Nevada most years

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
He probably would want to hunt California because it is familiar and odds are he won’t have a tag in Nevada most years

Both are true, my hunting spots from where I’ll be living to the camping area is only about 2 1/2 hours away. Is there anything close to vegas within 2 hours? It seems like anything that I see it’s all way up north near Reno area. Down south is just very dry, barren and nothing within 2 hours unless you go to the Sierras and hunt thay in CA

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I somewhat recently moved to southern NV. Not much for hunting close to Vegas that I know of, maybe upland birds? In terms of opportunity and proximity, southern Utah general deer and AZ OTC deer are probably the best bets. You can apply and get a 10s archery deer tag in state every year but it's not close by any means.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I somewhat recently moved to southern NV. Not much for hunting close to Vegas that I know of, maybe upland birds? In terms of opportunity and proximity, southern Utah general deer and AZ OTC deer are probably the best bets. You can apply and get a 10s archery deer tag in state every year but it's not close by any means.

I guess now is a good time as any to start going to Idaho and hunting there… if I’m doing to be doin out of state might as wel do it big haha. Sorta a bummer, but I guess there is pros and cons of moving anywhere

2blade

WKR
When I lived in Vegas I'd hunt the areas along highway 50, between Austin and Ely. 4 hour drive to Ely from Vegas.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I guess now is a good time as any to start going to Idaho and hunting there… if I’m doing to be doin out of state might as wel do it big haha. Sorta a bummer, but I guess there is pros and cons of moving anywhere

NV is definitely not a bad western state to be a resident of. Opens up the door to draw some premium elk and deer tags that are all but impossible to draw as a NR. Plus there's always a chance to draw sheep.

I'm be up in Idaho with general deer and elk tags this season myself!

Extrapale

WKR
You can bow hunt deer every year as a resident. You can probably cow elk hunt most years also. AZ is right next door and has OTC archery deer. Branch out from there. Those are two of the very best states as far as hunting experience.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Area 22, Area 11, 231, etc. I have some friends who kill big desert bucks closer to Vegas.

I would personally pick up a California bear tag. Long season and about as far as a drive as Ely.

Eyeman

FNG
Most Deer and Elk Hunting are going to be a 3 or 4 drive.
We do lots of weekend Hunting with a day or 2 off here and there.
Its pretty cool that once you get north of Vegas its pretty rural.
Ely is a great place to go look around.
My advice would be put in for everything you can and maybe get lucky and draw a tag. Build the points as well.
We also apply for Utah in the southern areas as it isnt very far.
Good luck in Vegas.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at Toprut statistics related to resident Elk draw odds as an example, it appears things get interesting in the 5-7 points range. If it were I, that is appealing.

Looking at Toprut statistics related to resident Elk draw odds as an example, it appears things get interesting in the 5-7 points range. If it were I, that is appealing.
When I was stationed in Nevada I drew a 161-164/171-173 Late Bull Elk tag with 4 points. Nevada is definitely a great place to be a resident for hunting, however the elk wait period of 7 years is wild. I am now a resident of Montana and am unsure if I even put in for NV elk anymore since the odds are astronomical.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
When I lived in Vegas I'd hunt the areas along highway 50, between Austin and Ely. 4 hour drive to Ely from Vegas.

Is that for Jack rabbit and other small game?

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
NV is definitely not a bad western state to be a resident of. Opens up the door to draw some premium elk and deer tags that are all but impossible to draw as a NR. Plus there's always a chance to draw sheep.

I'm be up in Idaho with general deer and elk tags this season myself!

If you see a really tall guy walking around in camo, I’m probably that guy hahaha

nphunter

WKR
You have access to some of the best deer hunting in the US every single year. Pick an easy-to-draw unit and figure it out, if I lived there I'd pick one that didn't have 3K+ tags each year. You can also get an antelope tag this year and then there is a waiting period of 4 years.

CA is probably still a good bet for mule deer if you have a good spot, it's just as good as a lot of the west is for deer, especially right along the NV border. ID is also a good state for mule deer but honestly, you're not going to find better deer hunting than NV. Utah has some pretty easy-to-get archery elk tags, ID is getting hard to pick up an elk tag with the recent popularity.