NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE GETTING BROKEN INTO. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Call my neighbor and tell him to bring his zip ties and his blow torch because I’m holding someone at gunpoint that was just trying to break into his house.

Seriously though, I doubt it would come to that because he’s a cop.

rcb2000

WKR
There are some pretty entertaining responses here.

All I read from the OP was you see someone that you don’t recognize going into your neighbors house.

I would call the neighbor and say “ Hey buddy, there’s someone at your place, just letting you know”.
Maybe it’s a family friend, maybe a repairman.

Lots of responses here would absolutely land you in jail.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Three men were put in jail for chasing a burglar. Just be careful of taking the law in your own hand
What law did they break?

Just two days ago we had a loser here that ran over a mailbox and into some bushes with his car. Then grabbed 2 or 3 guns and started walking down the street shooting into the air and at others. One guy confronted him with a gun and he dropped the rifle and continued on, then three guys from a local golf course saw him and took him down, until the police arrived. I don't think any of those four guys broke any laws.

jpmulk

WKR
Avoid rash decision making. You don’t have enough info at this point to be DOING much. Nor do most have the training or experience to do much if something was happening. (Confronting a suspect, taking them into custody, deescalating a tense scenario, room clearing, weapons handling under stress, etc. Or proper gear such as body armor, radio to inform others of locations and updates, etc )

I’m all about helping if needed. But slow down and think first. Or you will find yourself dead or in jail. If life and limb are not being threatened and immediate action is not obviously necessary, call law enforcement and let them do their thing. Obviously check with said neighbor first.

What law did they break?

Just two days ago we had a loser here that ran over a mailbox and into some bushes with his car. Then grabbed 2 or 3 guns and started walking down the street shooting into the air and at others. One guy confronted him with a gun and he dropped the rifle and continued on, then three guys from a local golf course saw him and took him down, until the police arrived. I don't think any of those four guys broke any laws.
This kind of scenario wasn’t what Inwas talking about. I was referring to the three guys who confronted the black guy outside of a house in their neighborhood. He ran and they chased him. One of them with a gun. They caught him and he tried to take the gun from one of them and got shot. Totally different than a guy openly firing and committing crimes. I would agree with the approach you described, just not with the limited info provided by the OP.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This kind of scenario wasn’t what Inwas talking about. I was referring to the three guys who confronted the black guy outside of a house in their neighborhood. He ran and they chased him. One of them with a gun. They caught him and he tried to take the gun from one of them and got shot. Totally different than a guy openly firing and committing crimes. I would agree with the approach you described, just not with the limited info provided by the OP.
Ya, that was totally different. They chased an unarmed man, and then shot him.

A few years ago we had a couple neighbors that had been burglarized recently in broad daylight. A few days later I was in the back yard, and I noticed at one neighbor's house someone was putting a bunch of tools and stuff out of a basement window. I put my sidearm on, and went to his house. The window was now closed, so went to the front door. The door opens, and there's my neighbor coming out. I said, "Bob, what the heck are you doing"? He said it was easier to just put the tools out the window than to carry them up the stairs and through the house. Ok, I get that........but right after the break-in's that just doesn't look too good.

Call cops, call neighbor and let them handle it ........... if neighbor/family is home and there is an obvious assault or kidnapping occurring, then and only then is it time to intervene.

Honestly.. I'd say there is LOTS of missing context and lots of missed things. When in doubt... call your neighbor. Never put yourself in a situation that opens you up to liability.. ONLY way I would interdict in a situation like that is if my neighbor said "Hey I'm going out of town until XX. Please look after my place"

You don’t know enough at this point to do anything but call neighbor and/or police. Make the calls, continue to monitor and see what the situation actually is.

Could be neighbors buddy. I had a friend today tell me he was headed out of town, but he was leaving something for me to pick up in his trailer parked at his house.

Neighbor could be home and it is a burglary in progress, and you get yourself shot on accident when neighbor starts blasting to protect his property.
Exactly what I thought.

It's a long list of people who have walked into my house or shop and carried stuff off while I'm gone.

With my permission. I'm glad my neighbors aren't shooting at them.

Sizthediz

WKR
Call the police. What if the 3 men are actually police serving a warrant and you go there gunz a blazing. I believe it is the same scenario if you stumbled upon a fight of some sort and you see one guy overtaking the other and you intervene how do you know you're not helping the bad guy

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
There are some pretty entertaining responses here.

All I read from the OP was you see someone that you don’t recognize going into your neighbors house.

I would call the neighbor and say “ Hey buddy, there’s someone at your place, just letting you know”.
Maybe it’s a family friend, maybe a repairman.

Lots of responses here would absolutely land you in jail.

No shit ... I'd fear for my cleaning ladies life if some of ya'll were my neighbor. The poor high school kid I get to take care of my dogs when I'm out of town wouldn't stand a chance.

My nearest neighbor is roughly a mile away. She is an elderly lady and she lost her husband a couple years ago. I was a pallbearer in the funeral and have always watched their place when they're out of town (we drive by a few times every day heading to town, grocery store, etc...).

One day I was driving by and spotted a SUV with out of state plates and a guy bringing a big box out of the house. With my phone in one hand poised to dial 911, I pulled into the lane, stepped behind my door, and asked who he was and what he was doing. Turns out it was my neighbor's son from NE and he was suprising them by installing a new toilet while they were gone. :LOL:

We had a good laugh and they've always remembered my neighborly gesture.

On 2 other occassions I had to go over there armed, because someone was either parked outside their house on the gravel or had stopped by to case the joint "asking for directions". We live in a very low crime rate area in the middle of nowhere Western, IA. We typically know who's driving by and what they're driving. She is a full mile off the nearest pavement and people don't stop for directions.

In the first example, a distraught and well known crazy person was having a meltdown in her car outside the house. I pulled up rolled my window down and asked her to move along. I never showed the pistol I had in my right hand, but was ready if she wanted trouble (I already had a deputy on the way). Fortunately she moved along and headed to the nearest city park to continue her freak out, where she was given a talking to by the deputy about not pulling up outside houses, especially out in the country. "Those people have guns and don't care for strangers." LOL...

The second example was more sinister. Neighbor callled me up and said she was really scared. A couple stopped "asking for directions" and while the tattooed but attractive female did the talking, the male stayed in the care, scanning and looking suspicious. Asking for directions turned into asking to set up a tent in the yard and stay the night. My elderly neighbor refused, and the girl started telling her sob story. Neighbor shut and locked the door and called me. I jumped in the truck quick and busted a$$ up there and they were already gone. Neighbor was frightened but appreciated my comining up to help best I could.

That same couple was apprehended across the section from me by my other neighbor. They run a very larege farming operation with several grain bins. Fortunately, they also run cameras at their bin site, and neighbors wife saw the crappy vehicle parked behind a grain bin. Me and my elderly neighbor had already called and told them to be on the lookout. Deputies arrrived moments after neighbor confronted the strange vehicle. To make an already long story short, both were booked on national federal warrants issued out of Texas. The man never came to my elderly neighbor's door, because he had some of the worst meth sores the sherriff's office had ever seen and looked like a zombie.

Its crazy how weird $hit finds it's way out into the country even when you do your best to distance yourself from the city.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Try to reach the neighbor by phone and then possibly call the police. Unlikely to risk my life over another's possessions.

I live out in the country and crackheads show up here too. Unless you've got dogs and maybe leave some spent brass laying around. Guns and dogs keep the vermin away.

nja112189

FNG
Perfect time as others said to call neighbors, cops, lock your doors and grab gun and stay put.

WCB

WKR
Dude they chased down and unarmed man and shot him. They deserve to be put in jail.