NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE GETTING BROKEN INTO. WHAT DO YOU DO?

jamesjrn

FNG
I had a buddy ask me this question the other day. I told him what I would do, which was precisely what he did.

Late at night, you happen to be up (surfing the Rockslide forum of course) and you see a fellow entering the house across the street. You don't recognize him. You are unsure as to whether or not your neighbor is home. What are your immediate and follow-up actions?

Geewhiz

WKR
i-started-blasting-so-anyway-i-started-blasting.gif

Dbbell

FNG
Golden rule might apply. I would hope that my neighbors would do exactly what they would expect me to do for them, protect my property or family.

Had this happen a few years ago.

Was one of my only nights off from the prison at the time. Had passed out in the living room after watching that badass cartoon caveman show ‘Primal’ with my boy. He loves it and I think it’s pretty legit too. So it was a pretty great night.

I wake up to that unmistakable sound of someone kicking a car. I shared a driveway with my neighbor and already didn’t enjoy the company he brought around. My neighbor was absolutely an addict of some form. With an old lady to match. I thought it might be my wife’s car getting kicked, no bueno.

I immediately check around me and discover my boy had went upstairs to his room at some point after I passed out. Now that the kids were secure I can deal with whatever this is.

I then hear “you got my bitch in there”, followed by what sounded like someone kicking the neighbors door. At this point in time I’ve heard enough and grab the rifle I had out. (Always have some sort of rifle out swapping parts or just tinkering). Locked and loaded the SKS and proceeded to the side door of my house so I’d come around a corner to this dude.

I come around the corner of my house and nothing. The man voice and kicking is gone, I check the other side of the house and nothing. Then I hear a distant car door shut. I turn around and a red F250 is loading up to leave with a group of guys about 60 yards down my road. One of them turns around as they are loading up and sees me with the rifle in my yard (street light). I just shoulder the rifle and put the irons on him. He runs around his truck and speeds off spooked.

There were some other events that came from this event. That’s for another time though.

Found out who the dude with the crew and red f250 was. Sometimes I see him at the gas pump around town. I just look him in the eyes and smile.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Call neighbor, call cops, call my other neighbor who is a cop.

packer58

WKR
Protecting property with lethal force is usually a no-no, if the neighbor for sure isn't home call law enforcement of choice. Get as much visual information as possible to help the cops catch the D-Bags.

Times have changed. Now the criminals have more rights and more PROTECTION than the victims, These liberal judges and politicians are letting the criminals off scot free. It is insanity.

Been there done that about 35 years ago . Wife called the police after I set her up on the kitchen table with the .243. She called the police and then I went out to confront the guys, I stayed in my yard and in my drive way. The guys were there at the neighbors house to supposedly repossess a vehicle ( this was found out later) but when they broke in the door, they committed burglary. Had three different law enforcement departments arguing with my wife on the phone on whose jurisdiction it was in. Amazing how quickly they showed up when she said I have got to go now, they are coming out of the house now. They are arguing with my husband and I am looking at the one on the right in the scope and if they start shooting at my husband, I am supposed to shoot whichever one is standing on the right. Then she dropped the phone. ALL THREE DEPARTMENTS MIRACOULSLY SHOWED UP! One very large redheaded angry fellow ended up face down in my driveway and the other two were caught at the end of the county road by the law enforcement. All three went to jail that night. The big one face down came across the road and into my yard to shove my Maglite up my #$* but that Colt 45 slowed him down and then he was in my yard. In todays world, I would just call law enforcement , take video and let the guys know they were being videotaped. Nothing in my neighbors house is (while they are gone) worth prison time.

Three times now I've confronted people in the culdesac or neighbor's yards well into the wee hours of the morning. I don't sleep well and also used to work nights so I hear every little tick. I never caught them in the act, always when they were suspicious prior to. I'm not sure what I'd do if they're in the act, but thieves here in SA are usually armed now and don't hesitate to shoot so the stakes are high. A guy recently got shot after tracking down his stolen truck, and a little before that a guy was eating lunch (they steal trucks broad daylight here) and saw someone break into his truck and he ran outside and the guy mag dumped at him while running to the getaway car. I have a couple very questionable neighbors and not willing to get in the middle of a bad drug deal or some kind of domestic, but I've also got neighbors I watched grow up and I'd die to keep them safe. So it depends, but I'll say I've not historically been one to wait for the popo.

Also have to be careful you're not mistaken. I got home from work one morning late around 8am, showers and ate then the dogs barked and I peaked outside to see some dude hop over my neighbors fence. I ran out, armed obviously, but didn't see where he went. I called my neighbor at work and she said nobody was home next door so called the popo while perched on the privacy fence watching the corner between where two houses meet. Cops to their credit got there in 10 minutes and swept both yards with guns drawn, sheds too. They finally started beating on doors and the neighbor's daughter answered, she was on the phone with her mom who was screaming at her. She apparently skipped school and called a boy to come over. Everybody had a good laugh and I politely explained to the guy had he simply used the front door they wouldn't have had any interruption.

Last edited:
Three times now I've confronted people in the culdesac or neighbor's yards well into the wee hours of the morning. I don't sleep well and also used to work nights so I hear every little tick. I never caught them in the act, always when they were suspicious prior to. I'm not sure what I'd do if they're in the act, but thieves here in SA are usually armed now and don't hesitate to shoot so the stakes are high. A guy recently got shot after tracking down his stolen truck, and a little before that a guy was eating lunch (they steal trucks broad daylight here) and saw someone break into his truck and he ran outside and the guy mag dumped at him while running to the getaway car. I have a couple very questionable neighbors and not willing to get in the middle of a bad drug deal or some kind of domestic, but I've also got neighbors I watched grow up and I'd die to keep them safe. So it depends.
Yep, I-35 Corridor from SA to ATX has become a Theft Fest. All the illegals can steal at will with little to no recourse. They let them right back out to steal again. Cops don't even show up to fill out a theft report anymore. Thanks BIDEN!!

Yep, I-35 Corridor from SA to ATX has become a Theft Fest. All the illegals can steal at will with little to no recourse. They let them right back out to steal again. Cops don't even show up to fill out a theft report anymore. Thanks BIDEN!!
I-10 from the bass Pro about 5 miles East is some sort of vehicle theft ring. The restaurants between there lose 2-3 vehicles per day in broad daylight lunch rush. DeZavala area is bad. I used to go to the Gold's gym there too, they'd post a guy at the locker room door to lookout and pop the locks on all the lockers a couple times a month.

You don’t know enough at this point to do anything but call neighbor and/or police. Make the calls, continue to monitor and see what the situation actually is.

Could be neighbors buddy. I had a friend today tell me he was headed out of town, but he was leaving something for me to pick up in his trailer parked at his house.

Neighbor could be home and it is a burglary in progress, and you get yourself shot on accident when neighbor starts blasting to protect his property.

Fatcamp

WKR
A friend's house was being robbed and his brother drove by and saw it. Dropped the kids off at home and went back. Confronted kid inside and another snuck up behind him and shot him dead.

Not good.