NEF 20 ga won’t eject

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a NEF single shot 20 ga that is having problems with stuck cases. It doesn’t have issues until it’s had a a few rounds through it and a little warm. A local smith told me to use scotch brite pads to polish the chamber which I have done but I haven’t seen much improvement. Also thought it could be the ejector spring but I’ve never really messed with that. Usually all it takes to eject the spent shell is dropping a pencil down the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
My shot fun has an ejector and when I have stuck cases I can even pry them out with a knife.

Weldor

WKR
Had a H&R 40 plus years ago did the same exact thing. Sold it and bought a cheap side x side, it still shoots fine. Took it to several Smith's never figured out why it did it.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning on keeping for sentimental reasons. That’s not encouraging that others couldn’t figure it out.

I have 15 of them, all with ejectors. Does it function when you open it without a shell in the chamber? If so it might just need disassembly, cleaning, and oil.

Macintosh

WKR
Ejector parts do wear, especially if metal used is soft, but Id bet on gunk more than wear on a gun like that. Id tear down the ejector mechanism as much as you are comfortable and give it a good soak in TSP or gasoline if its got old oil, etc caked on, re-lube and reassemble and see if it helps. You can also try taking a 20ga bronze bore brush and chuck it in a high speed drill and use it to just polish the chamber.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
[QUOTE="Macintosh, post: 3251237, member: You can also try taking a 20ga bronze bore brush and chuck it in a high speed drill and use it to just polish the chamber.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I did with the scotch brite pads. It didn’t seem to improve much. I probably need to disassemble it and clean it. I’m a little worried I can get it back together.

I also wondered if it’s a timing issue somehow.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have 15 of them, all with ejectors. Does it function when you open it without a shell in the chamber? If so it might just need disassembly, cleaning, and oil.

It functions great with an empty chamber and will launch a loaded shell pretty good as well.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Remington 870 Express that would stick empties so bad you had to slam it on the ground to get the slide to cycle. I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it, but I put some effort into polishing the chamber. 0000 steel wool in a drill. I probably used polishing compound after that too.

If the ejector works fine with an unfired shell, it almost has to be a chamber roughness problem.

Wapiti1

WKR
The ejector is just a two piece affair. The extractor/ejector that grabs and tosses the cartridge, and a trip bar that is in the lug of the barrel.

I was going to write a whole long post on what to do, but this covers what you need to know.

Replace the ejector spring and see how it ejects. If it doesn't work well, then you need to replace the ejector trip. That is the piece you drive the pin out of first that sits in the slot in the barrel lug. You drive the other pin out and look to see it the top is sharp. If it's worn, order a new one from Numrich. It can be filed sharp again, but won't last.

Jeremy

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
The ejector is just a two piece affair. The extractor/ejector that grabs and tosses the cartridge, and a trip bar that is in the lug of the barrel.

I was going to write a whole long post on what to do, but this covers what you need to know.

Replace the ejector spring and see how it ejects. If it doesn't work well, then you need to replace the ejector trip. That is the piece you drive the pin out of first that sits in the slot in the barrel lug. You drive the other pin out and look to see it the top is sharp. If it's worn, order a new one from Numrich. It can be filed sharp again, but won't last.

Jeremy

I ordered a new spring hopefully that fixes it. The trip is working fine.

I polished the chamber with a dremel and it didn’t help. Just out of curiosity I cut all of the plastic off of a shell that had stuck and put the brass base back in and it still wouldn’t eject.

If you're nervous about taking it apart, you may try spraying some gun scrubber in there before anything else and see if that helps.

Fowl Play

WKR
I have a NEF single shot 20 ga that is having problems with stuck cases. It doesn’t have issues until it’s had a a few rounds through it and a little warm. A local smith told me to use scotch brite pads to polish the chamber which I have done but I haven’t seen much improvement. Also thought it could be the ejector spring but I’ve never really messed with that. Usually all it takes to eject the spent shell is dropping a pencil down the barrel.

Does this occur with different brands of shells or only one? I have had this problem with older/ cheaper shotguns, issue was the chamber was slightly oversized. Combine that with the super thin brass that some manufacturers were using, and the brass would expand slightly at the shot and become extremely difficult to remove. Try some of the higher quality Federal or Remington shells and see how they fair.

OP
R

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Does this occur with different brands of shells or only one? I have had this problem with older/ cheaper shotguns, issue was the chamber was slightly oversized. Combine that with the super thin brass that some manufacturers were using, and the brass would expand slightly at the shot and become extremely difficult to remove. Try some of the higher quality Federal or Remington shells and see how they fair.

This makes the most sense so far… there does seem to be a fair amount of play with an unfired shell. Fiochi is probably the worst and then Winchester with federal being best they are the only three I’ve used lately.

Fowl Play

WKR
This makes the most sense so far… there does seem to be a fair amount of play with an unfired shell. Fiochi is probably the worst and then Winchester with federal being best they are the only three I’ve used lately.
If this is the cause, polishing the chamber will help. Any sort of surface roughness will exacerbate the problem, because it gives the deformed brass something to bite into. Scotch bright, by hand is not going to cut it. You are going to have to get that thing to a very high surface finish. Electric drill, dowel, rag, and ultra fine metal polishing compound. Can likely find some good articles online about "shotgun barrel polishing" -- it's a common thing for turkey hunters to do who are chasing better patterns.

If high quality shells still get stuck, you are likely SOL. But at least you tried, and probably 10-15 bucks worth of components to try it.