Need rifle advice.. Thinking about selling my .308

X0311

FNG
A 7mm Remington Magnum is really overkill for the type of hunting you do. In fact, due to recoil and ammunition costs, it makes it harder for a new shooter to get better.

OP
Kylenautique
The Tikka t3x is a solid rifle. I'll second that.
I really like the Tikka T3x too. Honestly, and some may not agree with me, but the CVA Cascade is right up there with it in my opinion. They both have amazing triggers, and the action pretty much on par with the Tikka. I like the stock a little better on the CVA. Having the removable spacer is nice. I removed mine. Made the gun fit better to me. If I was recommending a hunting rifle to anyone, I would tell them to try out the Tikka and the CVA. Only downside to the Cascade is the lack of accessories. But, if you are only buying it to hunt and leaving it stock, its a great rifle. And its got a threaded barrel too which is nice.

I'm looking forward to shooting my brother in law's Tikka this weekend. Back to back comparison. He's never fired my CVA either. Should be fun.

My 30-06 CVA Cascade at 100 yards shoot off a bag and bipod
CVA.jpg

yttm34

FNG
I really like the Tikka T3x too. Honestly, and some may not agree with me, but the CVA Cascade is right up there with it in my opinion. They both have amazing triggers, and the action pretty much on par with the Tikka. I like the stock a little better on the CVA. Having the removable spacer is nice. I removed mine. Made the gun fit better to me. If I was recommending a hunting rifle to anyone, I would tell them to try out the Tikka and the CVA. Only downside to the Cascade is the lack of accessories. But, if you are only buying it to hunt and leaving it stock, its a great rifle. And its got a threaded barrel too which is nice.

I'm looking forward to shooting my brother in law's Tikka this weekend. Back to back comparison. He's never fired my CVA either. Should be fun.

My 30-06 CVA Cascade at 100 yards shoot off a bag and bipod
View attachment 770972
Have heard good things about the CVA's. I should get my hands on one of it soon and see for myself. Thanks for the heads-up.

OP
Kylenautique
Have heard good things about the CVA's. I should get my hands on one of it soon and see for myself. Thanks for the heads-up.
They are a pretty awesome hunting rifle. And the 15 day MOA guarantee is cool. Two things of caution if you look at one. The bolt was kind of sticky when I got it. I gave it a wipe down and applied a little gun oil at the store. Smooth as butter. My trigger adjustment screw was super loose. I reinstalled it with some loc-tite. Problem solved.

I talked with BPI about the difference between Bergara B-14 Hunter and the CVA Cascade. Its not like a savage axis vs a 110. The Bergara B-14 Hunter is made on a Remington 700 platform with a #4 barrell. The Cascade has a #3 barrel and CVA's proprietary action. The barrel manufacturing process is the same between the two. The stock construction is the same being fiber reinforced, but its a different design. There's more plastic parts on the CVA like the trigger guard and the magazine over the B-14 Hunter. Weight savings with the CVA Cascade. You aren't getting an inferior rifle with a CVA over a Bergara. You are getting a different rifle. The CVA trigger is incredible.

Between the Tikka T3x or the Cascade, you are going to walk out the store with one or the other.

OP
Kylenautique
I decided to hold on to the .308 for now. I bought a Maven CRS.1 and CRS.2 after reading the Rokslide review. I will keep the one I like best. I'm leaning towards the CRS.1 just because of the simplicity of it. They show up tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying it out on my 30-06. Sounds like they are pretty tough scopes.

madcalfe

WKR
Right on thanks for the advice. I'm using the Crossfire II 4x12x44. Its nothing fancy. I really like the large eye relief for being a novice. I felt like it was a good starter scope. The water intrusion issue started by the vortex defender caps popping open when I was hiking with the rifle slung on my shoulder. Rain kept puddling on the objective lens without my knowledge. I swapped them out for Butler Creek caps.
lmao this should not happen. I don't run scope covers.. and hiked for a week sheep hunting in pouring rain. it was so wet I had to drain my stock every night cause its a hollow carbon fiber stock and water would trickle in from my quick detach sling hole :LOL:
just spend money on a new scope and go hunt

OP
Kylenautique
lmao this should not happen. I don't run scope covers.. and hiked for a week sheep hunting in pouring rain. it was so wet I had to drain my stock every night cause its a hollow carbon fiber stock and water would trickle in from my quick detach sling hole :LOL:
just spend money on a new scope and go hunt
That's what I did. I didn't have trust in the Vortex Crossfire scope anymore. I might buy another Vortex scope later down the road, but it would only be a razor. I replaced it with the Maven CRS.1 after reading the reviews on it from Rokslide, and others online, it sounded like a good buy. The eye relief is about the same as the crossfire except a little less full 12 power zoom. The eyebox is a little smaller, but its not a big deal. The clarity is a ton better. Its like going from 720p to 4k... Also, even with the smaller reticle, I can see better in low light. The turrets are super crisp. My gun weighs a little less now too. It took 4 shots to dial it in.

maven.jpg

Djolly72

FNG
I have 2 tikka rifles...a .308 for deer and a 7mm Rem Mag for elk. I prolly don't need the separate rifle for elk, but it makes me feel good to have it. I do love the Tikka's though...incredible accuracy and so easy to carry.