Need rifle advice.. Thinking about selling my .308

Vern400

WKR
Good scopes don't leak. If you can't throw it in mud puddle, and go home to sleep well, it ain't good enough. Your scope didn't leak because the scope caps were off. (I'm using polite language)

Do what you wish. But if you are sticking to a factory rifle there is no guarantee your next one will be a great shooter. And your "musket" -
Gunny Hathcock wasn't wishing for an '06. But he had a good scope. It isn't about the gun in your case. My scopes cost what the rifle costs.

SDHNTR

WKR
I would just keep whatever rifle shoots the most accurately. Between those 3 calibers, there isn't much of an advantage out to the distances you want to shoot. Yes, 7mm will be nice and flat. But that really doesn't matter to me as I always range longer shots anyways. It is much more important to learn the trajectory of your rifle and have a scope that can either dial accurately or has a reticle you understand. I will continue to hammer this recommendation into you: trijicon or night force.
Those were only 2 caliber’s mentioned. .308 and .284.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
Do you have access to a range that goes past 200yds? If so and you're trying to get better, go there and go there often. If you want to hone your skills, work on getting to know that rifle and specific ammo.

Pick one rifle you have and go with it. Sell the other and get a proven scope so you have one solid setup. Start working towards picking up another rifle with minimal recoil that you can practice with. The .223 recommendation is great, if it's legal where you're at then you can also hunt with it using the right ammo. Get the same scope for this rifle.

A .223 has a great barrel life and ammo is cheap. That's why it's so popular. This will give you options and a route to practice. Learn to dial your scope for distance and fundamentals to make a good shot.

Personally, I swap a .223 barrel on my rifle after season is over and only use that one rifle to practice with. This is my main rifle during deer season and when I put my 6cm barrel back on, I'm still shooting the same rifle so I'm comfortable. I've started shooting local PRS matches because they're fun but more importantly I've become a much better shot. Practice is everything.

You're headed down the right path. It took me YEARS to figure out why I was going around in circles with my rifles and it was mostly optics and cheap rifle related problems. I sold a few, built a couple, and started reloading. It's been a fun journey and there's always something to learn.

I was going to reply when you first posted and got distracted. I think your two rifles there's a lot of overlap, both 30 caliber shooting within a couple hundred fps of each other if even that. I get that you're new and building gear. I think I would recommend keeping the 30-06 for your "larger game" rifle and if you really want a second rifle get something smaller that you can shoot more with cheaper ammo. You don't have to go all the way to .223, the 6's and 6.5's are popular right now for a reason. I think a 6.5 Creedmoor would compliment your 30-06 nicely as a second rifle. Either way I wouldn't consider anything Vortex for hunting, just don't like them anymore and been through a few. Get a good quality Trijicon is what I'd vote. Here's another off the wall idea, if you use a Picatinny base for both rifles you can splurge more on a scope and very easily swap it back and forth between the rifles until you save up and get another scope.

As for the Elk hunt, I would be completely confident going into an elk hunt with the 30-06 or sending my wife or kiddos with it either. It's more than plenty. So I guess what I'm saying is if you feel the itch for a second rifle I'd go smaller and target medium game rather than buying something for the Elk hunt since you've already got that covered.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Other option: sell everything, buy tikka .243, mount with reliable scope.

I had regrets after i bought a 308…wished i would have bought 243 or 223 instead.
I have owned four 30-06 rifles and three 308 rifles. I like my 243 Tikka better than any of those.

To the OP, get a reliable scope before another gun, sell a rifle if you have to.

Add a 223 trainer, then get a suppressor next. You can't ballistically advantage yourself into being a long range shooter, only rounds down range can buy that. A 223 is the cheapest way to do that. Spending money is fun though, I have trouble following my own advice.

Why do you like the 30-06 so much more than the 308?