Need rifle advice.. Thinking about selling my .308

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I would just keep whatever rifle shoots the most accurately. Between those 3 calibers, there isn't much of an advantage out to the distances you want to shoot. Yes, 7mm will be nice and flat. But that really doesn't matter to me as I always range longer shots anyways. It is much more important to learn the trajectory of your rifle and have a scope that can either dial accurately or has a reticle you understand. I will continue to hammer this recommendation into you: trijicon or night force.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I’d keep the 30 cal that I like the best, sell the other and by a 243 or 6 CM identical to the rifle I kept. Trijicon Huron scopes are pretty good for the price.

It seems like you're looking at scope caps to combat water intrusion past scope lenses? I've never even considered that because no half ass decent scope should have issues with water intrusion without being beaten or deeply submerged. Their purpose is to prevent lenses from getting scratched, dirty, and getting shit caked in there.

I think most hunters at some point have fixated on cartridge ballistics as the best upgrade to extend their range. The right answer is almost always better knowledge, skills, and equipment that doesnt fail. Agree with others that best path would be one rifle with a quality scope.

OP
Kylenautique
For a round I say anything from 6.5 creedmoor to 300 win mag. I personally prefer my 7mm rem mag as my do all round. Now for a rifle you need to be more specific on your budget for some recommendations.
My 308 is a Savage 110 Storm and my 30-06 is a CVA Cascade. If I were to purchase a 7mm Rem Mag, it will either be a Tikka T3x lite in stainless or another CVA Cascade.

OP
Kylenautique
It seems like you're looking at scope caps to combat water intrusion past scope lenses? I've never even considered that because no half ass decent scope should have issues with water intrusion without being beaten or deeply submerged. Their purpose is to prevent lenses from getting scratched, dirty, and getting shit caked in there.

I think most hunters at some point have fixated on cartridge ballistics as the best upgrade to extend their range. The right answer is almost always better knowledge, skills, and equipment that doesnt fail. Agree with others that best path would be one rifle with a quality scope.
Vortex was very surprised when I had the problem. They gave me some good advice on how to baby it through the rest of the season. I'm ok with having two rifles, because sh#t can happen. Now that I'm setup, my plan is to upgrade a piece of gear every year. I've been looking at the Vortex Viper line for a new scope, and now also researching the brands y'all recommended.

TaperPin

WKR
With a rangefinder the “flatness” of the cartridge doesn’t matter as much as it used to in the old days because you have an exact range to adjust from. If an elk is spanked with the 308 and a few more inches of holdover, would it be able to tell it wasn’t a 7 mag or 06? No.

Having said that it’s fun to get a new cartridge, and the 7 mag is a little better in my mind, but just a tiny amount. As a practical matter, you’re better off investing in more robust optics rather than new rifles, but if you’ve always wanted a 7 mag I’m cheering for it.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Regardless of what caliber you end up using, stick around here and you see stretching your maximum range is quite doable.

Thegman

WKR
Just to be contrary:

I know a lot of us like to find the next best thing relative to what we have; I've literally been doing that my entire life. However, the other day I was reflecting that there's probably not a single animal I've harvested that I couldn't have taken with my old 20" Savage Scout 308 shooting plain old 180 Core-Lokts (I generally don't shoot much over 300 yards, and the times I have, the 180 Core-Lokt would probably have worked there as well).

Realistically, better optics and a range finder have made far larger differences than any rifle change I've ever made as far as successfully harvesting animals.

MatukaJoe

FNG
First off if you want a new rifle that is the best reason to buy a new rifle. :) Regardless of your other rifles.
That said with what you've stated to 400 yards a 6.5 creedmoor as another poster mentioned would be exactly what I would go with... you don't need the recoil of the larger calibers and they will not kill the animal any faster. In fact the velocities at 400 yards out of the 6.5 will exceed either the 308 or 30-06 and with less recoil
But again all that said buy what you want to buy if there's a caliber or a rifle that you like and you have the cash buy it.
Finally I would say ditch the vortex scope that's just my opinion I know people like them but I've never had great experience with the quality although I've never owned a high-end vortex. For the price range I prefer either Leupold or Zeiss and I have both. If you really want to shoot long range I'll have a 28 nosler coming for sale pretty soon. :)
Cheers!

xsn10s

WKR
Sorry if the post was misleading in any way. I'm not frustrated with the 308. The optic failed and vortex took care of me. I fully plan on upgrading my optics. I like my 308. Its one hell of a shooter. So is the 30-06. I tend to gravitate more to the 30-06 over the 308. The 308 is now my backup rifle. I really dig the 7mm Rem Mag ballistics, which is what has got me thinking about replacing the 308.
What is the max distance you plan on taking a shot at? If your 308 win is a shooter it should be fine out to 400 yards with the right ammo. Even farther depending on the conditions and ammo. Optics, binos, rangefinder and ballistics app seems like money better spent if 400 yards is your max range.

If I were you I would keep one (or both) of your current rifles.

Or sell one (or both) and get a 280 AI.

Upgrading your optics for sure also.

Colby

WKR
I would ditch the 30-06 and put that money towards a decent scope in a heart beat.
I would personally rather use 308 than 30-06, less recoil and ballistics are close enough for what you’re doing but the non dependable scope is a very major concern. Any of them are useless if the scope craps out.
Once you get the 308 squared away if you want 2 rifles I’d suggest a 223 for your next one.

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
Just like many people have stated, your .308 should be fine, I’d lean toward upgrading your optics & practicing to get confidence at your maximum shooting distances. 👍 with that said you can never have too many rifles! Send it!

OP
Kylenautique
Thanks everyone! I didn't grow up in a hunting family, so I'm kinda making this all up as I go. I really appreciate the advice. Sounds like investing in a more quality scope would be the better way to go. I try to get out and shoot as much as I can with both rifles.

Does anyone have any experience with Maven optics? I've been looking at the CRS.2 4-16x44 SFP

Colby

WKR
Thanks everyone! I didn't grow up in a hunting family, so I'm kinda making this all up as I go. I really appreciate the advice. Sounds like investing in a more quality scope would be the better way to go. I try to get out and shoot as much as I can with both rifles.

Does anyone have any experience with Maven optics? I've been looking at the CRS.2 4-16x44 SFP
It wouldn’t hurt to browse through some of scope test threads, some of the 223/6mm/6.5mm threads, maybe rifle dependability/durability threads and the practice vs equipment thread.
There is a ton of really helpful info available. Some of it may seem counterintuitive but if you approach it with an open mind there is a lot to be learned.
If you read up a bit it’ll save you frustration and money in the long run.
Light kicking rifles with good scopes are the best way to learn to shoot, learning to shoot is way more important than the head stamp.

mtg

FNG
A 7mag isn’t going to gain that much inside 400. In with those that are taking you to get good glass for what you’ve got, and also practice out to our a bit past 400. My longest kill was 470, but I try to keep it under for sure. In open country 200-350 yards would take in 90% of my harvests.

OP, there's lots of great points that have been made here, but a couple I haven't seen yet:

1) One of the biggest reasons for the smaller caliber trend on here is not just reduced recoil, but the key benefits that come from it: generally more accurate shooting because of reduced flinch/recoil anticipation, and especially with .223, vastly cheaper ammo and, because of the minimal recoil and minimal cost, the ability to train far more regularly at much higher volumes of shooting.

2) If you really want to maximize your capabilities, maybe consider selling one of your .30 cals, and get a .223 in the same model as a trainer gun. As an added benefit, with good ammo the .223s are absolutely proven deer slayers, and there's a whole thread here with proof of grizzly, moose, elk, and walrus kills as well.

Regarding optics, the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15 is very highly regarded here, because of the reticle options, its ruggedness (it passed the drop tests others mentioned), and given the price is one of the best values you could get as well. I can't speak to the other scope you mentioned.

SDHNTR

WKR
Keep whichever one you like better and buy a good scope and a pile of ammo for it. Thread the muzzle (if it’s not already) and put a good side port brake on it. Shoot the barrel off of it.

If you really want a new rifle, buy a similar 6.5 Creed.