Need rifle advice.. Thinking about selling my .308

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first time poster..

Little backstory, I just got into hunting. Last season was my first deer and elk hunt. Although I was unsuccessful, I had an absolute blast! Before last season, the largest rifle I ever fired was a Ruger 10/22. After tons of research and recommendations from work friends, I ended up going with a 308 for my first rifle. During my hunt, I had a scope issue. Water got into my scope. Strange problem, I was able to limp it along, and Vortex totally took care of me after the season. I decided I needed a second rifle so I always had a backup. I bought a 30-06. I love it. Honestly, I wish I had bought the 30-06 in the first place.

I have an opportunity to go elk hunting in Idaho with some family next year. Would it be wise to sell and replace the 308 with a 7mm Rem Mag? Something that can shoot further and flatter? Even where I hunt in SW Washington, there are lots of big clear cuts, and a 300-400 yard shot is not uncommon. The 30-06 I feel confident taking a 300 yard shot with it.

Yes, I could keep the 308, and just buy a 3rd rifle, but with the 30-06, I doubt the 308 will ever leave the safe. Would a 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag be a better rifle pair? Or should I stick with what I have and keep the 308 as my backup?

180ls1

WKR
I'd be tempted to buy another identical 06' if you like it that much and want a backup rifle.

If it were me, I'd just hang on to the 308 and invest in better optics.

OP
Kylenautique
I'd be tempted to buy another identical 06' if you like it that much and want a backup rifle.

If it were me, I'd just hang on to the 308 and invest in better optics.
Right on thanks for the advice. I'm using the Crossfire II 4x12x44. Its nothing fancy. I really like the large eye relief for being a novice. I felt like it was a good starter scope. The water intrusion issue started by the vortex defender caps popping open when I was hiking with the rifle slung on my shoulder. Rain kept puddling on the objective lens without my knowledge. I swapped them out for Butler Creek caps.

180ls1

WKR
Right on thanks for the advice. I'm using the Crossfire II 4x12x44. Its nothing fancy. I really like the large eye relief for being a novice. I felt like it was a good starter scope. The water intrusion issue started by the vortex defender caps popping open when I was hiking with the rifle slung on my shoulder. Rain kept puddling on the objective lens without my knowledge. I swapped them out for Butler Creek caps.
I actually had that scope for a while. It’s a weak point. Not only for reliability but light trasmission. The buck in my avatar was killed with that scope and it was a royal pain finding him in it at last light. I was razor close to losing him and I would have if not for my binoculars.

I’ve since upgraded and am very glad I did.

OP
Kylenautique
Thanks for the advice everyone! This website has been super helpful. I've been going back and forth on this... And my 308 is a total tack driver, so that makes it more difficult thinking about parting with it. I'm running a 250 yard zero on both rifles, so I really don't even need to make an adjustment until I'm past 300 yards.

Thanks for the advice everyone! This website has been super helpful. I've been going back and forth on this... And my 308 is a total tack driver, so that makes it more difficult thinking about parting with it. I'm running a 250 yard zero on both rifles, so I really don't even need to make an adjustment until I'm past 300 yards.
But the optic is what failed, not the rifle. I travel all over the country hunting without bringing a back up rifle. All my guns have trijicons or nightforces and I have never had one lose zero or fail. I am actually in the airport in Seattle on my way back from Alaska moose hunting for 12 days. Took a 280 AI with a trijicon credo 2.5-15. I pulled the foam out of my gun case so I could fit more shit and I know the rifle case was thrown around by airport workers. Didnt even feel the need to confirm zero. Went out hunting and shot my moose on day 4. Buy a reliable scope. SWFA is also bulletproof and have some more affordable options if trijicons are outside your budget.

OP
Kylenautique
I actually had that scope for a while. It’s a weak point. Not only for reliability but light trasmission. The buck in my avatar was killed with that scope and it was a royal pain finding him in it at last light. I was razor close to losing him and I would have if not for my binoculars.

I’ve since upgraded and am very glad I did.
That's good to know. And I'm fully aware its not a great scope, so there's no defending it from me. I had to make some cuts somewhere and plan to upgrade later. Getting into hunting is expensive! :)

I've been looking at Maven 4x16x44 and even the Viper 3x15x44

OP
Kylenautique
But the optic is what failed, not the rifle. I travel all over the country hunting without bringing a back up rifle. All my guns have trijicons or nightforces and I have never had one lose zero or fail. I am actually in the airport in Seattle on my way back from Alaska moose hunting for 12 days. Took a 280 AI with a trijicon credo 2.5-15. I pulled the foam out of my gun case so I could fit more shit and I know the rifle case was thrown around by airport workers. Didnt even feel the need to confirm zero. Went out hunting and shot my moose on day 4. Buy a reliable scope. SWFA is also bulletproof and have some more affordable options if trijicons are outside your budget.
Sorry if the post was misleading in any way. I'm not frustrated with the 308. The optic failed and vortex took care of me. I fully plan on upgrading my optics. I like my 308. Its one hell of a shooter. So is the 30-06. I tend to gravitate more to the 30-06 over the 308. The 308 is now my backup rifle. I really dig the 7mm Rem Mag ballistics, which is what has got me thinking about replacing the 308.

Spoonbill

WKR
Sorry if the post was misleading in any way. I'm not frustrated with the 308. The optic failed and vortex took care of me. I fully plan on upgrading my optics. I like my 308. Its one hell of a shooter. So is the 30-06. I tend to gravitate more to the 30-06 over the 308. The 308 is now my backup rifle. I really dig the 7mm Rem Mag ballistics, which is what has got me thinking about replacing the 308.
It won’t matter how great the ballistics are if your scope sucks. I had the same mentality and learned the hard way. If I had just bought a quality scope the first time, I would have been several hundred dollars ahead over doing the upgrade game.
Pretty sure a 400 dollar trijicon just passed the drop test. Reliable scopes can be affordable. Best thing I have learned from Rokslide is a scope that holds zero is more important than rifle caliber.

OP
Kylenautique
It won’t matter how great the ballistics are if your scope sucks. I had the same mentality and learned the hard way. If I had just bought a quality scope the first time, I would have been several hundred dollars ahead over doing the upgrade game.
Pretty sure a 400 dollar trijicon just passed the drop test. Reliable scopes can be affordable. Best thing I have learned from Rokslide is a scope that holds zero is more important than rifle caliber.
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I will check out trijicon.

Flat shooting rifles are irrelevant if you have a scope that tracks and you can dial for elevation. All of my rifles are zeroed at 100 yards. If I want to use an MPBR, I just spin the turret to the desired zero. Your 30-06 will take elk and deer out to 1000 yards with the right bullet and scope.

brolo

FNG
I would not replace either rifle with a 7 mm rem mag. Your 30-06 and 308 both can get more than sufficient terminal wounding out to your desired range. All else being equal, you’ll be most lethal with the lowest recoiling cartridge among those three.

Path of least resistance: sell everything except .308 platform. If you only use MPBR and don’t dial, mount a trijicon 3-9…if you dial, then do what predslayer said.

Other option: sell everything, buy tikka .243, mount with reliable scope.

I had regrets after i bought a 308…wished i would have bought 243 or 223 instead.

I would not replace either rifle with a 7 mm rem mag. Your 30-06 and 308 both can get more than sufficient terminal wounding out to your desired range. All else being equal, you’ll be most lethal with the lowest recoiling cartridge among those three.

Path of least resistance: sell everything except .308 platform. If you only use MPBR and don’t dial, mount a trijicon 3-9…if you dial, then do what predslayer said.

Other option: sell everything, buy tikka .243, mount with reliable scope.

I had regrets after i bought a 308…wished i would have bought 243 or 223 instead.
Or a 6mm CM. I love my 6mm. It’s a heavy sucker so only comes out for coyotes and antelope, but its so nice to shoot!

I'm really surprised nobody has brought up the 223 thread already.
Just keep one rifle and get the nicest scope you can. That's what I would do. I don't even start a new rifle unless I know I either already have an optic or have the money for a nice optic. I've had good luck with Leupold, SWFA, and I just bought a nightforce SHV that I'm really liking so far. I had a rifle that had a vortex viper hs lr on it and it killed a bunch of game with no issues.

yttm34

FNG
For a round I say anything from 6.5 creedmoor to 300 win mag. I personally prefer my 7mm rem mag as my do all round. Now for a rifle you need to be more specific on your budget for some recommendations.

sdupontjr

WKR
If you are looking to upgrade your optic, I just posted my Mint Trijicon Credo 4-16x50 in the classifieds.

Dave0317

WKR
I’d not hesitate to sell both if that’s what you need to do to get what you consider an ideal set up. With the right cartridge and bullet selection, there is no need to have two rifles for different types of critters in the lower 48.

I sold a savage .308 that was a tack driver and an old surplus rifle to fund a recent Tikka .223 purchase. Now I’m a Tikka believer. It’s smooth and accurate. It’s got me considering some other rifles to sell to buy either a .243 or 6.5 CM Tikka next, along with a good scope.

Read around the forums here on the .223 thread and others about calibers. Will make you re-think needing a .30 or 7mm heavy recoiling gun for large game or long distances.