Need new calls. Corey J. and Rocky Mountain Legal Dispute?

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like Corey is in a legal dispute with Rocky Mountain Calls, a company his parents owned for three decades. Looks like they may be trying to take the Elk101 name that he built from the ground up. Anyone have a update on this? I would think he would create his own calls if he hasn't already. I'm a big fan of these calls. Maybe switching. I hear great things about Phelps.

87TT

WKR
I still have one of RMHC tubes but haven't used their calls or reeds in years. They changed for me right about the time the company sold. Had good luck with Phelpes, The Maverick in particular.

It is incredibly sad to hear there is a legal dispute between Corey and RMHC. I remember learning about Corey and his Dad/RMHC around 5-6 years ago. I always wondered why Corey was not a bigger part of the company. World champion elk caller and your Dad owns a giant elk call company that sells calls in Cabelas and Bass Pro?

Hard to decipher what’s going on, or why his Dad decided to sell the company to outside investors a few years ago. But, what factors could lead to selling the company vs. figuring out a way to get Corey in control? Hard to imagine the company was upside down financially or mismanaged given how widespread the brand is.

Or maybe Rocky just wanted to cash out and retire and Corey wanted to hunt more and not run a call company.
Corey said in his public post about the subject that he intends to sell his own elk call products in the future….so maybe he does want to run an elk call company?

87TT

WKR
The email I got , he said he wanted to be involved not that he wanted to start or run his own company. Big difference.

Last edited:
Corey said in his public post about the subject that he intends to sell his own elk call products in the future….so maybe he does want to run an elk call company?

Don't know what you got til it's gone.

From someone who walked away from something they were born into, then came back to it.
Lucky that was still an option.

Traveler

WKR
Phelps are good. I still really like the Rocky Mountain blue though, by far my favorite for bugling

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looks like Corey is in a legal dispute with Rocky Mountain Calls, a company his parents owned for three decades. Looks like they may be trying to take the Elk101 name that he built from the ground up.
I'm pretty sure Corey sold Elk101 several years ago.

HS's Carlton's calls are the ones that work best for me.

nobody

WKR
Phelps AMP Grey is my go to. I keep a few of them on me during the season and just rotate between them as I wet them out from wandering around with one in my cheek 24/7. Easy to control volume and pitch, can do everything from aggressive peak-rut bugles and chuckles to soft cow mews and calf calls.

This reminds me, I'm down to my last couple. I need to go pick up a few more...

TheTone

WKR
I'm pretty sure Corey sold Elk101 several years ago.

HS's Carlton's calls are the ones that work best for me.
Yeah I remember some sale stuff with elk101 and the extreme elk magazine years ago, but thought he maybe bought elk101 back? Hard to keep track of all issues hunting personalities have with business and sponsors. I guess he could always go back to being an engineer or whatever and hunting for the fun of it?

I’ve been using Phelps for a while and prefer the bright pink one

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I just visited elk101 and there is currently a survey on what calls do you use. Hmm makes you wonder??

87TT

WKR
I hold my nose and get what I need. I don’t think me not buying an $8 reed would hurt them anyway.