Need new 45 ACP Recommendations

So right after sandy hook/before deployment, I stockpiled a significant amount (~10k rounds) of 45 auto ammo and components, plus a couple XD45s, since it was unclear whether that stuff would be legal when I returned, I didn't know better, and it was available. flash forward to now, and I still have about 1k rounds loaded and components for another 8k. I've beent trying unsuccessfully to find a buyer for the components, and can't stand the thought of continuing to shoot the XDs another 9k rounds, so I'm starting to shop for a new pistol as a contingency. The main purpose of this pistol will be target shooting/skills development, church security, and maybe some local USPSA matches.

Criteria, in priority order:
45 acp
DA/SA, or DAO - from what I can tell, this basically cuts the list to sig, HK, and FN
factory optics cut - HK drops out
Eligibility for at least one USPSA class other than open, ideally USPSA carry optics legal - nothing left, the optics cut sig P220 Legion and FNX 45 tactical aren't on the USPSA production list

Is there something out there that I'm missing that hits the above criteria?
Are there any striker fired 45s with decent triggers (IMO, glock and xd triggers blow)?
I know there are a gajillion 1911 clones and derivatives, do any of those get you away from the cocked and on-safe in the holster situation? I've never carried a pistol with a side safety, and am very disinclined to start doing so.

Thanks for the help

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So right after sandy hook/before deployment, I stockpiled a significant amount (~10k rounds) of 45 auto ammo and components, plus a couple XD45s, since it was unclear whether that stuff would be legal when I returned, I didn't know better, and it was available. flash forward to now, and I still have about 1k rounds loaded and components for another 8k. I've beent trying unsuccessfully to find a buyer for the components, and can't stand the thought of continuing to shoot the XDs another 9k rounds, so I'm starting to shop for a new pistol as a contingency. The main purpose of this pistol will be target shooting/skills development, church security, and maybe some local USPSA matches.

Criteria, in priority order:
45 acp
DA/SA, or DAO - from what I can tell, this basically cuts the list to sig, HK, and FN
factory optics cut - HK drops out
Eligibility for at least one USPSA class other than open, ideally USPSA carry optics legal - nothing left, the optics cut sig P220 Legion and FNX 45 tactical aren't on the USPSA production list

Is there something out there that I'm missing that hits the above criteria?
Are there any striker fired 45s with decent triggers (IMO, glock and xd triggers blow)?
I know there are a gajillion 1911 clones and derivatives, do any of those get you away from the cocked and on-safe in the holster situation? I've never carried a pistol with a side safety, and am very disinclined to start doing so.

Thanks for the help

If you are going to be serious about pistols, especially in 45, a good 1911 is the answer. Training to use the safety isn’t hard at all, and there is no justification for not having an ergonomic thumb safety on every pistol.

Would you carry a bolt action- or any other gun, loaded and chambered without a safety?

Last edited:
Is there a reason you’re skipping over the Glock other than the trigger? I’d ask the same of the m&p.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Best striker fired trigger I've tried is the Walther PPQ, hands down. Pretty sure they make one in .45.

I'll 2nd the 1911 recommendation, especially for a range gun.

OP
ResearchinStuff
Is there a reason you’re skipping over the Glock other than the trigger? I’d ask the same of the m&p.

My G43 is so so, and doesn't make me inclined to try another Glock. Haven't shot the m&p, does it feel substantially different than the other plastic striker fired guns?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My G43 is so so, and doesn't make me inclined to try another Glock. Haven't shot the m&p, does it feel substantially different than the other plastic striker fired guns?

No it doesn’t. Take all the .45 striker guns, and they’re all about the same.

OP
ResearchinStuff
If you are going to be serious about pistols, especially in 45, a good 1911 is the answer. Training to use the safety isn’t hard at all, and there is no justification for not having an ergonomic thumb safety on every pistol.

Would you carry a bolt action- or any other gun, loaded and chambered without a safety?

Obviously not, but I wouldn't carry a bolt action inside a full containment holster either. Plus pistols have other safety options, like beavertails.

Any 1911s specifically that I should consider?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Obviously not, but I wouldn't carry a bolt action inside a full containment holster either.

If you could put it a loaded and chambered bolt action in a holster, would you do so without a safety?

These are redundant questions/ the answer is no. In every other firearm we use, Manuel safeties are demanded- they don’t even make them without. This isn’t that pistols can’t be used without a safety, I am not a boomer yelling at the clouds. I carry and use striker pistols without safeties, and have from nearly two decades. It does change how I handle them- mostly reholstering appendix. However, they should have had an ergonomic thumb safeties from the beginning. There are no downsides to good thumb safeties, and multiples upsides.

Whether I liked them or not, it certainly wouldn’t stop me from choosing the most shootable pistol ever made.

Plus pistols have other safety options, like beavertails.

How does a beavertail make a pistol safe?

Any 1911s specifically that I should consider?

How much do you want to spend?

Fair enough. With aftermarket triggers you can make the trigger on the m&p and Glock feel pretty good if you’re so inclined.

After baby sitting a nighthawk grp for a couple years for a buddy, I definitely understand the appeal of a well made 1911.

Wrench

WKR
I'm thinking the beaver tail comment was the grip safety on the 1911.

I beat a ria into smithereens and called them asking if I could buy parts. They wouldn't sell them to me but did take the gun and rebuild it. When I got it back, I sold my colt delta because the ria was better in evey way.

1911's are excellent for personalization. They can be exactly what you want them to be....just be ready to open the wallet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If it gets up over 2300 I may as well just buy a stacatto...

Haha.

No. In the sub $2k range, Dan Wesson is probably your safest bet. Also, S&W Pro series with external extractors are generally solid as well. New Colts have been very good, especially the combat models- those will be $900-$1,500. Below that, I would probably suggest going to a Tisas for $400 and plan on tweaking the extractor.
All 1911’s need good mags. Several are good, but I would start with Ed Brown Performance mags.

A solid 1911 in USPSA Single Stack division is a blast.

OP
ResearchinStuff
With the tasis ejector, are you talking about the hook height and htbd of something else?

wesfromky

WKR
and maybe some local USPSA matches.

1911, as USPSA has a single stack division, or go with something more stock at shoot production where 10 rounds is the max capacity. Production and carry optics don't count power factor though, so you don't get major power factor points for the .45.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
With the tasis ejector, are you talking about the hook height and htbd of something else?

The extractor? If so, no just tension. For 1911’s once you have a solid base pistol that is running correctly, you need good mags, a spare, fitted and tuned extractor, as well as spare recoil and firing pin springs.
Mags are pretty easy these days, and I’d start with Ed Brown mags. A Wilson Bulletproof extractor and it takes about 15 min to tune one, and I would tune the factory extractor then put keep it as a spare, and then the Wilson and use that as primary.
Wolfe Extra Power 18lb recoil spring and the firing pin spring that comes with it, change them at 4,000 to 5,000 round intervals.

With that, a normal 1911 that is working correctly- like a Tisas, Colt, Springfield, etc. will go about about 10,000-15,000 rounds on average with no issues. Somewhere around 15k to 20k rounds you’ll most likely need to, or want to replace some small parts.

This is all for a 45 auto. A 9mm 1911 needs mags and an extractor, but will basically last until you get tired of it.

Last edited:
OP
ResearchinStuff
Looks like wolff doesn't do tisas springs. Are 1911s standardized enough internally to just grab a recoil spring intended for another manufacturers 1911?