Need new 45 ACP Recommendations

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
If you could put it a loaded and chambered bolt action in a holster, would you do so without a safety?

These are redundant questions/ the answer is no. In every other firearm we use, Manuel safeties are demanded- they don’t even make them without. This isn’t that pistols can’t be used without a safety, I am not a boomer yelling at the clouds. I carry and use striker pistols without safeties, and have from nearly two decades. It does change how I handle them- mostly reholstering appendix. However, they should have had an ergonomic thumb safeties from the beginning. There are no downsides to good thumb safeties, and multiples upsides.

Whether I liked them or not, it certainly wouldn’t stop me from choosing the most shootable pistol ever made.

How does a beavertail make a pistol safe?

How much do you want to spend?

1. A striker fired pistol and a long gun have extremely different triggers which makes it okay to holster loaded and (manual) safety-less pistols in a quality kydex holster with proper training. You would never sling a loaded pistol over your back, carry it strapped (unprotected) to a backpack, etc. The use dictates the level of safety that I require on a firearm.

2. There are downsides to thumb safeties, especially those on striker fired pistols. Do you have monster sized (or too small) hands? Now maybe you need to break your grip to defeat the safety (do that in a high pressure situation without training - and most people do not train with pistols to competently and safely use them). Additionally, 1911 style giant lever safeties are easy to keep from unintentionally re-engaging while managing recoil, but some modern striker fired's cannot say the same. Circle back to the same "do you train enough" idea.

3. Finally, if there's no downsides to good thumb safeties, why not have two on your pistol? Three?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
1. A striker fired pistol and a long gun have extremely different triggers which makes it okay to holster loaded and (manual) safety-less pistols in a quality kydex holster with proper training. You would never sling a loaded pistol over your back, carry it strapped (unprotected) to a backpack, etc. The use dictates the level of safety that I require on a firearm.

How does the trigger make on gun ok- striker fired, and one gun not- hammer? Most stoker fired pistols are coming with a 3-5lbs trigger, with very little take up- they are literally the same as a rifle without a safety.

2. There are downsides to thumb safeties, especially those on striker fired pistols. Do you have monster sized (or too small) hands?

Properly designed.

Now maybe you need to break your grip to defeat the safety (do that in a high pressure situation without training - and most people do not train with pistols to competently and safely use them).

Then they should not be carrying pistols. There is no version of this where the right answer is to walk around with a gun and try to use it without the skill to do so. If someone is going to be garbage with a gun, they’re going to be garbage with a gun.

Once someone has a modicum of practice and skill, properly designed thumb safeties aren’t a factor in the slightest.

Additionally, 1911 style giant lever safeties are easy to keep from unintentionally re-engaging while managing recoil, but some modern striker fired's cannot say the same.

Thumb in top of safety at all times unless reengaging.

Circle back to the same "do you train enough" idea.
This is a red herring. Not much can be worse than a non trained person with a short, 4lb trigger without a safety.

3. Finally, if there's no downsides to good thumb safeties, why not have two on your pistol? Three?

Well I do. There’s a thumb after, a grip safety, and on one I use extensively and series 80 safety.

If you want to play the but “what if”, ok. Keep in kind the OP of this thread shoots, will shoot and compete, and wants a .45.
Glocks in 45 auto suck. Basically every SA/DA or striker fired pistol in .45 is heavily compromised. For about two decades I have averaged between 30,000 and 50,000 pistols rounds a year. Currently I am averaging between 5,000-10,000 a year with Glocks, the same or a bit more with Sig P320’s, and around 20,000 to 30,000 with 2011’s and 1911.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 vote for 1911

If you have to shoot 45acp for the sake of shooting 45acp, then you may as well choose the smoothest shooting and coolest option :D

Carry optics with 45acp is also a mistake. You get scored with minor power factor regardless of caliber. It's also very similar to Open. Single Stack is wicked cool and as challenging as it gets

If you go with a 1911, Dan Wesson is worth a hard look. My Pointman 45 is the best 1911 I have ever had.

OP
ResearchinStuff
Looks like I'll be going with a 1911. Tough to tell if colt is actually making guns, can't find any in stock. Locally there's a new s&w E series and a used Wilson combat cqb, contemplating snagging that and just going 45 acp for life.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
If you could put it a loaded and chambered bolt action in a holster, would you do so without a safety?

These are redundant questions/ the answer is no. In every other firearm we use, Manuel safeties are demanded- they don’t even make them without. This isn’t that pistols can’t be used without a safety, I am not a boomer yelling at the clouds. I carry and use striker pistols without safeties, and have from nearly two decades. It does change how I handle them- mostly reholstering appendix. However, they should have had an ergonomic thumb safeties from the beginning. There are no downsides to good thumb safeties, and multiples upsides.

Whether I liked them or not, it certainly wouldn’t stop me from choosing the most shootable pistol ever made.

How does a beavertail make a pistol safe?

How much do you want to spend?
*Heavy sigh*
I guess I'll jump into this grenade for all of us.
The lack of an external safety does NOT mean that polymer pistols like the Glock and M&P lacks a safety.
For ****'s sake...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
*Heavy sigh*
I guess I'll jump into this grenade for all of us.
The lack of an external safety does NOT mean that polymer pistols like the Glock and M&P lacks a safety.
For ****'s sake...

The discussion was clearly about manual safeties, being that’s what the OP wrote.

Afhunter1

WKR
Haha.

No. In the sub $2k range, Dan Wesson is probably your safest bet. Also, S&W Pro series with external extractors are generally solid as well. New Colts have been very good, especially the combat models- those will be $900-$1,500. Below that, I would probably suggest going to a Tisas for $400 and plan on tweaking the extractor.
All 1911’s need good mags. Several are good, but I would start with Ed Brown Performance mags.

A solid 1911 in USPSA Single Stack division is a blast.
What is your opinion of BUL 1911’s? I was thinking of picking up a 5” 10mm desert eagle at a local dealer.

OP
ResearchinStuff
For 1911s, are the rounded off rear/ bottom portions of the grip necessary, nice to have, or just a crutch that enables a lousy grip technique?

texag10

WKR
For 1911s, are the rounded off rear/ bottom portions of the grip necessary, nice to have, or just a crutch that enables a lousy grip technique?
Assuming you're talking about a bobtail, they're mainly for creating a smoother radius to avoid printing when carrying concealed. They shouldn't impact grip assuming we're talking a full size gun, main downside would be less room for the rear of a magwell, which is more important on a single stack gun than a double stack mag with a taper.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
9k rounds will go quick if you are training for competitions. I would just buy a glock and sell it when you run out of ammo. Glock triggers are fine and after a few thousands rounds you will have corrected any issues.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Consensus is it's nicer for carry, but potentially not as nice for shooting if you've got big hands. Only way to know is to try out both. 1911forum.com is probably your friend for specific questions

main downside would be less room for the rear of a magwell
This isn't really true. The mag-hole is the same size no matter what

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
No it doesn’t. Take all the .45 striker guns, and they’re all about the same.
Glock trigger is like a VW Beetle, while a PPQ trigger is like a Porsche 911.

OP, you might want to visit a local shooting range and rent a 1911 just to see if it suits you before you jump into that rabbit hole. Some like them, some don't.

Also, field stripping and cleaning a 1911 is a pain compared to something like a Glock, just fyi.

Last edited:
OP
ResearchinStuff
9k rounds will go quick if you are training for competitions. I would just buy a glock and sell it when you run out of ammo. Glock triggers are fine and after a few thousands rounds you will have corrected any issues.

Not going to be an every weekend competitor. More like 1x a year, learn what needs improved, and work on that on my own time until the next evaluation. Too many demands on my time to get into a serious competition habit.

Also, let's just agree to disagree on glock triggers. I'm glad they're working for you, and I'm also not changing my mind about their suitability for me.