Need new 45 ACP Recommendations

texag10

WKR
Consensus is it's nicer for carry, but potentially not as nice for shooting if you've got big hands. Only way to know is to try out both. 1911forum.com is probably your friend for specific questions

This isn't really true. The mag-hole is the same size no matter what
I'm not talking about the physical size of the magazine, I'm talking about room for a bevel or ramp of a magwell, specifically where the MSH is. The closest you might be able to get is a rounded butt magwell, but that's contradictory to the reason most people get a bobtail to being with.

img_1659.jpg

How are you adding a meaningful magwell to that? Compare it to something like a Stan Chen SI magwell:

article-best-1911-upgrade-stan-chen-si-magwell-1.jpg

Is this going to be a competition gun that you sometimes carry or a carry gun that you sometimes compete with?

Two different things that are not easily blended together.

In that case, I would lean toward a competition set up. High vis sights or a red dot. Light trigger and all the bells and whistles that you care for.

MattB

WKR
Just one thought - whatever you get make sure you can manipulate the gun well without breaking your grip. I used a 1911 for years as my bedside gun, but switched over to Glocks once I started doing training that required a lot of reloads and malfunction clearance drills as I found my 1911 was slower and more finicky to manipulate.

Gun manipulation is a perishable skill and one that breaks down under stress. My calculus was, with the amount I shoot/train (~3K rounds/year) that I am more comfortable using a pistol with a lesser trigger and that I shoot a bit less accurately in exchange for being able operate it more smoothly under stress.

Last edited:

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm talking about room for a bevel or ramp of a magwell
I thought you were talking about the gun's physical magwell, not aftermarket stuff. I agree with you completely. Getting a bobtail and then a flared magwell MSH is foolish

It seems hard to reconcile .45 with wanting to do optic cut and competing in a class other than open in USPSA. Both carry optics and limited optics are both scored minor power factor only (9mm basically). There hasn't been much innovation with .45 guns as you can see, it's really slim pickings. If your budget is high you could get a custom double stack 1911 in .45. If you don't mind doing a gunsmith doing a mill job for an optic, you could find a CZ-97b and do a SAO conversion with Cajun Gun Works parts to really get a nice trigger on it. Capacity is only 10 rounds though, so competing would be difficult. Our .45 range gun is a HK USP Tactical (comes with a match trigger) and the single action trigger is very nice on it. You can either do it cocked & locked or DA/SA but the DA pull is something like 10#.

I'm not a fan of factory Glock triggers at ell either. I usually end up doing a Johnny Glock combat trigger in them to drop the weight to ~3.75# and clean up the pull. I've used other aftermarket triggers, that, the Vanek, an Overwatch, etc, and IMO the best trigger I've used with Glocks is the new Glock Performance trigger. My friend put one in his 34 and the pull was around 3# and cleaner than the JG. It's what I would go with if I had a gen 5 for sure. It's definitely not a 1911 but it makes a Glock more serviceable for sure. Because of that, a gen 5 Glock 21 wouldn't be that bad of an option I think. You can get it in MOS with a factory optics cut, you can get extended base pads for it, it's economical. It won't wow you like a nice 1911 but it'll do the job just fine

Grumman

WKR
Form at a $3-4k price point what are you buying? I’ve been drooling over Alchemy, Nighthawk, Baer, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eltx

Lil-Rokslider
USP45, can shoot 45 ACP for training/fun and carry 45 Super in bear country with no changes needed (stiffer recoil spring optional)

OP
ResearchinStuff
Haha.

No. In the sub $2k range, Dan Wesson is probably your safest bet. Also, S&W Pro series with external extractors are generally solid as well. New Colts have been very good, especially the combat models- those will be $900-$1,500. Below that, I would probably suggest going to a Tisas for $400 and plan on tweaking the extractor.
All 1911’s need good mags. Several are good, but I would start with Ed Brown Performance mags.

A solid 1911 in USPSA Single Stack division is a blast.

Are mid grade SA's intentionally off the list? There are about a dozen 1911s locally, of them all the SA range Commander seemed the best

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are mid grade SA's intentionally off the list? There are about a dozen 1911s locally, of them all the SA range Commander seemed the best

Yes. SA’s, Kimbers, etc., have too many QC/QA problems to choose over the ones I listed. Yes, you can get one that works- sort of, but odds are 50/50 you will get one with small parts issues, or reliability issues.