Need KUIU recommendations

Has anybody had any experience with the First Lite Kanab pants? I haven't owned them but I have heard some of the older ones didn't hold up well.

Yup and I love them. Prefer their fit to those of the Kuiu. They are wool and the material is a little less durable than the Kuiu pants, but the ones I've used have held up pretty well. When I've had an issue FL customer service has been fantastic.

As you will see on numerous posts, sizing can be an issue. After many returns, here is what I find layers perfectly (I'm 6'1", 200 lbs, athletic build, wear a 34 in ALL pants except kuiu - actual measured waist is 35).

Attack pants - 36
Tiburon pants - 36 (these fit slightly larger than the Attack pants)
Superdown pants - L
Chugach pants - L (fits perfect over 36 pants or super down pants)

Ultra Merino LS 125 - Large (XL was very baggy)
Ultra Merino zip 210 - Large (XL was very baggy)
Ultra Tiburon shirt - XL
Super down hoody - XL (perfect fit, not baggy at all)
Guide Jacket - XL (precise fit with down jacket, not compressing down at all - still good with just a base layer, not too baggy - Large was tight in arm pits)
Chugach jacket - Large (XL was ridiculously huge and baggy - the large fits over both the XL super down and XL Guide jacket with no issues)

I realize kuiu markets their gear as a layering system, and they tell you to buy all the same size, but I truly found that not to be the case. For instance, the super down hoody in XL is massively tighter fitting than the Large Chugach. It took some trial and error, but I'm extremely happy with the combo I listed above.

Hope that helps some.

charvey9

WKR
Can't really go wrong with any of the top hunting brands. Sitka, KUIU, Kryptec, First Lite. All have good gear.

I have just about a full KUIU kit in Verde Camo. After experimenting on my scouting trips, this year for elk I went with a 145 merino top, SD Jacket, and Chugach rain gear set. For bottoms I used the Attack pants and my 185 Smart Wool merino bottoms. The puffy jacket should be all the insulation you need during the early season. This got me through a week.

I also pack an extra pair of UA boxer briefs and extra pair of smart wool socks. A little camp soap, a creek, and a fresh pair of drawers and socks every couple days is kinda nice. The merino T's are also a nice luxury item on hot days if you don't mind carrying around the extra ounces.

I like the Attack pants and the Sitka Ascent even more. Look forward to trying the new Alpine pant. Fingers crossed it ships before hunting season this fall.

I'm 5'10" 170lbs, and go with Large in most KUIU items. On their heavier weight tops meant for layering, I can get away with a medium. Most stuff I am a 32" wasit, but get 34" in KUIU. I'm actually proably closer to a 33" but they don't offer that size and so I just wear a belt.

Nuke Man

WKR
I really like my Guide Jacket. I ordered it per the sizing chart at a medium. It fits good everywhere but the arms. They are pretty tight. I kept it but keep thinking I should have gotten a large to try. I ordered the chugach set last month in large. It fits great over the guide jacket. I'm wondering if anyone can compare the size of the guide jacket to the chugach jacket for me. The chugach seems a bit big if I were to just wear it as a jacket. For rain gear to wear over stuff it seems perfect.

charvey9

WKR
I really like my Guide Jacket. I ordered it per the sizing chart at a medium. It fits good everywhere but the arms. They are pretty tight. I kept it but keep thinking I should have gotten a large to try. I ordered the chugach set last month in large. It fits great over the guide jacket. I'm wondering if anyone can compare the size of the guide jacket to the chugach jacket for me. The chugach seems a bit big if I were to just wear it as a jacket. For rain gear to wear over stuff it seems perfect.

I think the rain gear is cut a bit larger to wear over your other layers, but not too huge that you can't wear it as a stand alone jacket. I have a large guide and chugach jacket, and I can layer them. Most of the time I just wear the rain jacket over my merino though and it does just fine, a little loose but allows for more airflow which I like when hiking.

Nuke Man

WKR
That's what I was thinking. Making me wish I had tried a large guide jacket now. Medium is great with just base layers and a sweat shirt. I don't know if I could comfortably get a puffy under it though. Going to try the Kenai jacket next. Sounds like it's running small.

That's what I was thinking. Making me wish I had tried a large guide jacket now. Medium is great with just base layers and a sweat shirt. I don't know if I could comfortably get a puffy under it though. Going to try the Kenai jacket next. Sounds like it's running small.

I think most people should be fine with a merino base layer, Kenai or Super down, and a shell. The 3 layer system seems to be what a lot of guys are running now, especially those concerned about weight.

I was all gung ho to buy the Kenai jacket, until I saw they don't offer solid colors. I ended up with the Patagonia Nano Air, which is the same thing, minus pit zips. It is a great piece, and I think will be incredibly popular and well received once people get some use out of them.

Kotaman

WKR
I think most people should be fine with a merino base layer, Kenai or Super down, and a shell. The 3 layer system seems to be what a lot of guys are running now, especially those concerned about weight.

I was all gung ho to buy the Kenai jacket, until I saw they don't offer solid colors. I ended up with the Patagonia Nano Air, which is the same thing, minus pit zips. It is a great piece, and I think will be incredibly popular and well received once people get some use out of them.

The Kenai comes in solids...

Mike7

WKR
I hope Kuiu starts making the Guide beanie hats in solid again, now that there is a size Large. I got some of the solids in the smaller original size when they were available previously, and others in my family with smaller heads have really enjoyed them for hiking, biking, etc. They are perfect for wearing under a bicycle helmet on a cold, damp day, with or without a merino liner beanie. I have a size large camo Guide beanie that I use for hunting and like.

I am really interested in trying the Alpine pant when it comes out, and hope to see some reviews here. If it is a little cooler and more durable than the Attack (a pant which I love), along with the built in outer knee pads, then it will be perfect for me. I hope the cut and sizing is the same as the Attack pant.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck finding what you need from Kuiu...better order soon and hope you get it in time.....their availability is some of the worst in the industry.

Good luck finding what you need from Kuiu...better order soon and hope you get it in time.....their availability is some of the worst in the industry.

Jason (the owner) posted a video explaining their inventory shortage not too long ago. Material orders were put in 6 months ago and they severely underestimated demand so now supply is limited. BUT, you are best off ordering your desired product now and waiting for it to be shipped rather than checking the site every day waiting for items to be listed again because according to him, items are being shipped out before they even show up as available on the site due to the high amount of orders already placed.

Just a heads up. There are usually some decent listing on Ebay too if anyone needs their stuff ASAP.

FreeRange

WKR
I am a big fan of certain kuiu items and the company itself for what they're trying to do. That said I do feel they are not being completely honest about their inventory shortage. I waited 6 months for a backordered pair of sz 30 attack pants and was told a number of times by CS that "once they had enough orders in for that item they would place the order" which does make sense from a cashflow standpoint on their end but is a major bummer for the consumer. How could a material order hold up a certain size while most others are in stock. This may be an isolated case but it definitely bummed me out. I would absolutely put your order in TODAY for anything you might want. They don't charge your card and as far as I could tell if I hadn't been on the backorder list I would not have received my pants as I don't think they ever showed in stock on the website. A hassle for sure but worth it, in my opinion.

TylerW

FNG
I'm 6ft. 225lbs. wide in the shoulders, long torso, shorter leg. My everyday pants are 36x32 carhartt's and I ordered 36'' attack pants while they are more snug then my carhartt's they are very comfortable. With the base layer (145and210) I went with XXL, I could of used XL but I wanted a little more room. My guide vest is in XL to help keep any tent effect from happening. Yukon rain layer is XXL and in my mind it fits perfect, long enough so when bend over water don't run your rear end, I have enough room to move yet still is fitted. I have not had my Yukon stuff in a rain storm yet but so far so good.

F16pointy

FNG
I own Kuiu, Kryptek, and Sitka gear. All good stuff IMO just find something you like and try it out. I usually buy the stuff on sale only though. As for the out of stock....well if you cannot keep up with the demand then your going to lose out. Simple economics right there! Supply and demand, if you don't have it I am going to buy the competitors version and give it a try. For example, I'm not going to wait 6 months for some Chugach rain gear when I can buy the equally good FL Boundary rain gear. I also watch sale sites that sell gear like mountain hardware, it might not be camo but it is proven and tested in the harshest environments to keep you alive. Not to mention being AD military, FL gives a better discount than both Kuiu and Kryptek. So its a no brainer...just my two pennies fellas!

Emh

FNG
If you are planning to use kuiu stuff this sept you better order now! I ordered attack pants and a beanie in oct and still haven't got them. They have good stuff just no inventory..... Ever......