need hunter orange

Ruskin

WKR
it's great to have good clothes and camo, but CO still says i have to wear 500 hunter orange and an orange hat. Why doesn't first lite or someone make merino orange (or have i just not found it?)?

Any orange vest recommendations? I have a cheap walmart special, but it seems like there should be something better. And my orange trucker hat is great for an hour or so, but i can't imaging wearing that thing for a week in the CO back country.

All help appreciated.

colonel00

WKR
I have am orange Patagonia nano puff I got from another guy here. I plan to use it in Wyoming during rifle season.

you can get a blaze orange beanie or boonie hat at Cabelas. They also have vests you can wear over your torso to make up the rest of your 500 square inches.

Browtine

WKR
UA makes a pretty good blaze ball cap and nice blaze fleece beanies. I have come to the conclusion that there aren't any good, lightweight blaze vests.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is the hat I wear, I wish they made a vest in this orange pattern, I'd buy it in a heart beat

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-digi-orange-cap

That would be illegal to use in CO, has to be "solid orange", no camo orange.

I have a few different baseball style caps I used over the years for rifle seasons, as well as a couple cheap blaze vests. Never had any issues with either, and it was always cold enough that wearing just a single blaze shirt was never really an option.

rm06

WKR
I have a UA vest but it doesn't breathe very well. Other than that, t is the best quality vest I've found.

I hate blaze orange.

COR

FNG
I have a fleece beanie, a light cabelas hat for when warm...my blaze vest fits snug over my outer layer and is just a $20 Field and Stream vest. It is a cotton poly blend but dries very quickly...

I don't find the blaze to affect much when hunting as opposed to full camo when the wind is in my favor... Your mileage may vary

You get in deep enough in Co and you'll run into some hunters who peel a few layers back after they get about 10 miles in anyway... I just kind of forget it's there but I have to agree the market surely exists for some Soft or Hardshell quality blaze orange

topher89

WKR
I have a Browning baseball cap in orange and a knit wool beanie.

I have an el cheapo walmart vest to wear on top. When it is really cold I have am orange Patagonia Micro Puff Jacket that I can wear without the vest.

jtw

WKR
I use the cheapo vest I got when I took hunters ed. It fits over all my gear and doesnt hold water. I have yet to find a better solution.

rayporter

WKR
i search constantly for a good orange hat. goretex leaks around the brim and if it has earflaps that fold up on the outside the flaps are covered with snow when you need them the most. one of my favorites is a cowboy hat with an orange plastic cover. it has draw backs too- condensation.

turk870

FNG
plan on wearing my tilly outback with a blaze orange bennie pulled over the top.as far as vest just going to use a cheap one.browning makes a nice one that is windproof think its part of there hells canyon line

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spend a lot of time in nasty country with rifle in hand and always wanted a cool lookin hat on my noggin with some orange....the vortex digi pattern noted is pretty cool and a bit of safety for $15

ive got a UA poly cutoff ill throw over a merino shirt in early season. then i made a blaze lid cover out of an el cheapo vest. if its cold enough i wear an orange daybreaker fleece from HH.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I wouldn't spend a bunch on a vest. I think I paid less than $15 for a cheap adjustable vest that fits whether I'm wearing 3 layers or just one. That said, I would't scrimp on the hat. I agree with 7stw. It is really hard to beat a Stormy Kromer 100% wool Rancher or Original in hunter orange. I have both and they are really comfortable and warm. I'm told they will last a lifetime and have the best guarantee I've seen. Register your cap with SK and it will be replaced even if it's lost.

Last edited: