Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I would be a man and talk to the new owners, landowners in MT used to be decent people that worked with others to solve issues. If the new owners give you a hard time, then you have the right to contact your local county law enforcement and involve them with your issues. I wouldn't recommend taking it upon yourself to exterminate a few dogs, you can't afford the court fees. As for the elk calves, it won't have a negative effect on our elk populations, they are doing too well. Just be a bigger person and deal with the landowners. Most folks that live here, inherit land from others or purchase land here don't have the proper information on laws, regulations, etc. The state has many issues of archaic non-transperancy. Many people are purchasing "bear" dogs for protection against our wonderful expanding grizzly population. It's a changing world and our state is going through a rollercoaster of change.

The pepper spray option looks humane and humorous being the owners have to clean it off.

I have friends that have "re-homed" dogs far far away from abusive owners, that was bold but they couldn't watch how the dog was being treated anymore ( and the owners were violent). The re-home could be an animal shelter in a town far away if the dog can be trapped. Maybe combine that trip with some other business you might have there so it doesn't feel like too much of a burden.

I get the SSS approach too and that winds up here in the news sometimes when city folk move up into the mountains and let their dogs run right next to cattle, its just sad to hear about it because its the humans fault more so than the dogs.

As I have said a number of times, I live on the summer range. Numerous cow elk calve out in my hay field. I do what I can to protect them at least until the calves are running with their mothers. Then they move onto the FS land.

A couple of years ago some folks bought a large parcel a couple miles east of me. Coming from the city they seem to think that their dogs need to run free - over everyones land.

I tend to believe free running dogs killing elk calves need to die. If I warn them then I will be a target when the dogs disappear. Hence the next time they show up on my place - they won't go home - ever.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you folks think. Think very rural and avoid your city thoughts.
I think it’s something you do and don’t talk about.

sacklunch

WKR
LOL

What city are you from?
I’ll wait while you post a statute that says what OP is asking to do is legal.

So much for ethics huh? Or do the laws not apply to you simply because your love in the sticks?

Last edited:
I would be a man and talk to the new owners, landowners in MT used to be decent people that worked with others to solve issues. If the new owners give you a hard time, then you have the right to contact your local county law enforcement and involve them with your issues.

You did read where this has been going on for a couple of years, and multiple people have talked to them about the problem?

I’ll wait while you post a statute that says what app is asking to do is legal.

So much for ethics huh? Or do the laws not apply to you simply because your love in the sticks?
Defend your property.

"The dogs came after me."
"The dogs came after my pets."

All I have to do is say those two things if I am ever questioned.

I don't have to prove shit to you or any other dog owner who recklessly lets their dogs roam free. If a person's dogs are on MY land causing a problem, then it's over pal. Boom, they die.

And if some idiot comes on MY land, I'll have them prosecuted for trespassing for even looking for their lost dogs.

I always wondered what it would be like to live on a half and acre and let my dogs roam free on everyone else's land. That must be quite the eutopia of entitlement.

Now. Answer my question. What city are you from?

Last edited:

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
You did read where this has been going on for a couple of years, and multiple people have talked to them about the problem?
I did see that, but redneck vigilante justice isn't going to solve any issues. I would get a better lawyer or write to your Senator or Legislature.

sacklunch

WKR
Defend your property.

Now answer my question. What city are you from?
Reading is hard, I know, but no where in that statute does it permit you to shoot a dog for trespassing. It pretty clearly says destruction of property, in which OP has said that the dogs have not attacked his horses, nor made any claims about the dogs being a threat to his safety or his property. The elk calves are property of the state, so that wouldn’t apply either.

Nice try though. Roll tide.

Reading is hard, I know, but no where in that statute does it permit you to shoot a dog for trespassing. It pretty clearly says destruction of property, in which OP has said that the dogs have not attacked his horses, nor made any claims about the dogs being a threat to his safety or his property. The elk calves are property of the state, so that wouldn’t apply either.

Nice try though.

But, you never answered my question. Can you read it again and answer? I know, reading is hard.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden Did the statute you referenced allow anyone to shoot dogs chasing game, or only wardens, etc?

wardens and LEOs

MCA 87-6-404

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3)(g), a peace officer, game warden, or other person authorized to enforce the Montana fish and game laws who witnesses a dog chasing, stalking, pursuing, attacking, or killing a hooved game animal may destroy that dog on public land or on private land at the request of the landowner without criminal or civil liability.

As I have said a number of times, I live on the summer range. Numerous cow elk calve out in my hay field. I do what I can to protect them at least until the calves are running with their mothers. Then they move onto the FS land.

A couple of years ago some folks bought a large parcel a couple miles east of me. Coming from the city they seem to think that their dogs need to run free - over everyones land.

I tend to believe free running dogs killing elk calves need to die. If I warn them then I will be a target when the dogs disappear. Hence the next time they show up on my place - they won't go home - ever.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you folks think. Think very rural and avoid your city thoughts.
You warned them.

MattB

WKR
Generally. We're on an internet forum though with alias usernames, so...
In some recent high-profile shootings, it has taken law enforcement about an hour to find social media posts by the perps who undoubtedly did so on an internet forum using an alias user name, so...

To the OP, I am pretty sure the next time those dogs come around they will be harassing your horses and not elk. Unless of course there are witnesses who would state otherwise under oath. What does MT law say about what a landowner can do in the case that they find a dog harassing livestock?

In researching this here in CA, I was interested to find this. Maybe there is somethign similar in MT?

Cal. Food and Agriculture Code - Section 31102 - Killing of dog

Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:

(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.

Tick

WKR
Have you talked with the dog owners about this or only other neighbors? Face to face discussion would be my first step. Then shoot or involve the law. If you have to think about it or lie maybe the law is the better option.

In some recent high-profile shootings, it has taken law enforcement about an hour to find social media posts by the perps who undoubtedly did so on an internet forum using an alias user name, so...

To the OP, I am pretty sure the next time those dogs come around they will be harassing your horses and not elk. Unless of course there are witnesses who would state otherwise under oath. What does MT law say about what a landowner can do in the case that they find a dog harassing livestock?

In researching this here in CA, I was interested to find this. Maybe there is somethign similar in MT?

Cal. Food and Agriculture Code - Section 31102 - Killing of dog

Except in an area in which the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 31151) of this chapter apply or as otherwise provided in Section 31104, any person may kill any dog in any of the following cases:

(a) The dog is found in the act of killing, wounding, or persistently pursuing or worrying livestock or poultry on land or premises which are not owned or possessed by the owner of the dog.

This would hardly be a high profile shooting...

Anyone that knows what they are doing can find out who you are pretty easily...There is nothing truly anonymous on the internet.

Whether anonymous or not, shutting your ******* mouth saves you a lot of trouble in these situations.

Its "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up" not "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up, unless anonymous" for a reason.

But you do you. Dont let me stop you.

🤣 and everyone posting "sss" is an accomplice. I won't stop you either...

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Shoot the dogs, but when you do, be sure to use enough gun that they don't run home.

So like what caliber would you use for dogs?
Do we need to have a 223 TMK for dogs discussion here?
Or are you the guy that says a 300 win mag is needed in this circumstance?

Status
Not open for further replies.