Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have said a number of times, I live on the summer range. Numerous cow elk calve out in my hay field. I do what I can to protect them at least until the calves are running with their mothers. Then they move onto the FS land.

A couple of years ago some folks bought a large parcel a couple miles east of me. Coming from the city they seem to think that their dogs need to run free - over everyones land.

I tend to believe free running dogs killing elk calves need to die. If I warn them then I will be a target when the dogs disappear. Hence the next time they show up on my place - they won't go home - ever.

I'm almost afraid to ask what you folks think. Think very rural and avoid your city thoughts.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
What all the above said. And, pending the laws where you live and specifics of the situation I’m not even sure I’d be quiet about it. Any livestock getting harassed in the process?

chav0_12

FNG
Do you happen to have cattle that pasture there too? I know in MT dogs can be shot if they’re harassing cattle on someone else’s pasture.

Ralphie

WKR
I’m pretty rural. It happens here, but not usually until it’s a repeated problem or something pretty bad from the start.

sacklunch

WKR
What kinds of dogs are killing elk calves…you glossed over the details. Be a man and go confront the owners. You already lost plausible deniability by posting the question on the internet for all to see.

Why you wouldn’t try and educate the new neighbors vs vs just shooting their dogs is pretty weak sauce.

Not defending the dogs, but it’s not their fault their owners are morons.

Mosby

WKR
Like everything else in life...it depends. I live out in the country and have been told there are some dogs running with local coyotes and one of them is huge. I haven't run into them but won't hesitate to shoot. Dogs like that can be dangerous to more than just animals.

Neighbors dog that got out the back door and came onto my property? No....I'm not going to shoot the neighbors Cocker Spaniel or labradoodle just because I can. I would go talk with the neighbor and explain how things work in the country. Ongoing issue and you see the dogs trying to bring down game? Then I would probably do what I have too but I wouldn't like it.

4rcgoat

WKR
What kinds of dogs are killing elk calves…you glossed over the details. Be a man and go confront the owners. You already lost plausible deniability by posting the question on the internet for all to see.

Why you wouldn’t try and educate the new neighbors vs vs just shooting their dogs is pretty weak sauce.

Not defending the dogs, but it’s not their fault their owners are morons.
Absolutely!! I can see killing wolves and coyotes.....but come on people, there dogs. Go have a chat first?

Status
Not open for further replies.