Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We used to kill dog’s chasing game, statute allowed for it (still does).

Then my buddy, who was the Captain in Missoula, got a call into the office about two dogs chasing deer. All the wardens were out of the office, so he took the call and grabbed the biologist on the way out. He told the biologist that there was almost no chance of seeing these dog’s chasing deer, but had to respond to the call.

As they wound their way up the gravel road, lo and behold there were two dog’s chasing a deer; deer running for its life. He grabbed his .22 and ran up a short hill and shot the smaller dog. Then shot at the larger dog (St Bernard). He couldn’t tell if he hit it, went to where he last saw it and found blood.

He and the biologist followed the blood which led to a house he was unaware was even there. The St Bernard made it through the dog door, dead on the floor. No one home.

My buddy knew shit was going to hit the fan. He left his business card at the home with an explanation. They called the newspaper instead of him.

Needless to say, shit did hit the fan. The next Captain’s meeting (that week), the Chief made it crystal clear we wouldn’t be shooting any more dogs - even the statute clearly stated we could (and still does).

I think some dogs have still been killed under this statute, but not many.

Same issue, of city folk letting dogs run free.
fish and game warden in idaho, told me, that this is how he handled the same situation. Spray the dogs with pepper spray. non lethal and the dogs won't come back. and then he smiled big and said and the owners will have to clean it off of the dogs. it works.

intunegp

WKR
For everyone mentioning that the dogs might be chipped...that doesn't mean the owners (or anyone else) can just turn on their satellites and see the dog's location, they don't work like a GPS collar. The chip has to be scanned by a vet or shelter and all they will obtain from such a scan is the owner's contact info. Not providing this info to advocate for killing the dogs, but tons of people seem to think a dog being chipped means more than it does. It is only there so if someone finds the dog and it doesn't have a tag it can be scanned and the owner can be notified.

Drenalin

WKR
For everyone mentioning that the dogs might be chipped...that doesn't mean the owners (or anyone else) can just turn on their satellites and see the dog's location, they don't work like a GPS collar. The chip has to be scanned by a vet or shelter and all they will obtain from such a scan is the owner's contact info. Not providing this info to advocate for killing the dogs, but tons of people seem to think a dog being chipped means more than it does. It is only there so if someone finds the dog and it doesn't have a tag it can be scanned and the owner can be notified.
I feel like an idiot, thanks for clearing that up.

Gutshotem

WKR
It's cowardly not to go talk to your neighbor first.
Don't threaten them with dead dogs.
Pretend it was you that was visiting some place where you don't know the local customs and you wish that the locals would just give you a heads up so you could fit in.
If they don't listen, then you can act.
But killing a dog because you thought a human conversation with a neighbor might be awkward is very cowardly. Our grandparents didn't fret about having awkward conversations with their neighbors.
How exactly is maintaining control of your pet a "local custom"?

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
How exactly is maintaining control of your pet a "local custom"?
Curious about this too. I wouldn’t try to graze cattle in a city park if I were to move to one. How do city people get a pass for being ignorant? To my earlier post of “not being quiet” that was alluding to talking to these folks first and in subsequent posts it seems that opportunity has passed. Sounds like the folks are litigious, entitled and happy to remain ignorant. Doesn’t seem like anyone on here is taking joy at the idea of killing dogs but it’s tough to reason with those type of people and frankly shame on them for owning dogs.

In Iowa, the first step is to call the Sherriff's office. They will confront the owner(s) on peoples' behalf to avoid escalation and potential for violent confrontations. This also keeps the compalints anonymous to the dog owner(s) to prevent retailiation.

I know people that followed the rules, and upon investigation, deputies issued tickets to bad dog owners. After tickets were issued, further complaints and 1:1 confrontations between deputies and the dogs have happened. Dogs were killed by deputies, something which they didn't want or enjoy doing. The same owners continued to let the dogs breed like rabbits, constantly reinforcing the pack.

These dogs have attacked livestock, destoryed whole flocks of chickens, and most recently assaulted elderly neighbors that were gardening in their backyard.

This has become a revolving door of tickets and threats to the dog owners from authorities, but the situaiton continues.

My advice is to follow the rules first and then use your best judgment.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me and the owners have been talked to and are currently going through other legal issues with other neighbors I would go the pepper spray route and see if that worked first. If they don’t learn after that well…
Also I don’t know if it’s been stated how aggressive the dogs are but if they act aggressively to you on your own property then yeah.

KenLee

WKR
Allledgedly.

So that justifies taking the law into your own hands?
I've dumped dead dogs at people's doors both with and without talking to them. Depends on the circumstances.
My numerous experiences with talking to people about what their dogs have done is that 90% don't care enough to keep them contained.
I don't recommend the door dumping to most folks, but I don't mind representing myself when the need arises.

Thanks folks. I'm always interested in what people think.

The dogs are a german shepard and something bigger and black. There has been a number of confrontations between the owners and their more immediate neighbors. Some of those included lawyers.

Those folks don't seem to catch on very well. I think this will come to an end in the near future. Before I moved here one of the original migrant families (late 1800s) were prone to letting their horses roam the country side. One day they found five of them shot on forest land. Those folks still didn't hone their fence fixing skills. For ten or 15 years we had to keep our gate closed to minimize surprises in the morning.

Cofrontations have the same risk as interceding in domestic disputes. This issue will just go away one day when the opportunity occurs. The odds are they will just fill the gap with more mutts.

City folks, weird things are important to them. Take pics of their dogs chasing wildlife and post them on Facebook tagging them and a bunch of hippie nature pages and they'll be shamed to the point of killing the dogs themselves. LOL...

I say this only half joking.

I don't have any actual advice for you, can't bring myself to shoot a pet unless it were actively engaged in killing livestock and even then if I'm able to stop the attack and catch it instead I would.

You mean like THIS neighbor did? And even if most interactions don't end like this one, IMHO, it is simply not worth it in today's USA. Let the people solve the problem who get paid to solve the problem.

Eddie
That's a little different, that dude's an illegal that'd been deported 4 or 5 times and that whole area is basically an illegal settlement, the 5 he killed were also. I'm not saying it's any less of a tragedy I'm saying it's expected to turn out differently, playing nice with neighbors who own property near you is usually the way to go because you're stuck with them for a while and it can make life easier than butting heads.

CorbLand

WKR
Generally. We're on an internet forum though with alias usernames, so...
Anyone that knows what they are doing can find out who you are pretty easily...There is nothing truly anonymous on the internet.

Whether anonymous or not, shutting your ******* mouth saves you a lot of trouble in these situations.

Its "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up" not "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up, unless anonymous" for a reason.

But you do you. Dont let me stop you.

Last edited:
Don't even waste your time talking to the owner. They don't care about the dogs anyhow or they wouldn't be roaming free.

Shoot the dogs, but when you do, be sure to use enough gun that they don't run home.

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks folks. I'm always interested in what people think.

The dogs are a german shepard and something bigger and black. There has been a number of confrontations between the owners and their more immediate neighbors. Some of those included lawyers.

Those folks don't seem to catch on very well. I think this will come to an end in the near future. Before I moved here one of the original migrant families (late 1800s) were prone to letting their horses roam the country side. One day they found five of them shot on forest land. Those folks still didn't hone their fence fixing skills. For ten or 15 years we had to keep our gate closed to minimize surprises in the morning.

Cofrontations have the same risk as interceding in domestic disputes. This issue will just go away one day when the opportunity occurs. The odds are they will just fill the gap with more mutts.
Shit, if its a german shepard just go buy a wolf tag and put it on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.