need advice on pad and bag

Adubs

FNG
I’ll be going on a backpack hunt this Sept for the first time. I’ve always slept in a nice comfy wall tent with my Cabelas cot and pad so I need to invest in some new gear. I’ll also be going on a NWT Dall Sheep hunt in 2020 so the pad and bag I’m going to buy now for my sept WY elk hunt will be used for that hunt to. Budget is not really an issue but I’m always about finding value too. I was planning on a 10 degree bag with a good pad. So many options though it’s a bit overwhelming. I’m 6’0” 185lbs and a pretty warm sleeper. I’m planning on a hilleberg Nallo 2gt, soulo, or akto tent but I’m not 100% set on that either. Any advice from more experienced backpackers would be appreciated!

Trial153

WKR
Two pads right now are standing out for me from the weight/comfort and insulation stand point.
Neo Air XTherm and the Nemo Tensor insulated field model.

I am sure there are others but these two at about the poubd mark really offer good compromises in all three departments.

As for bags...WM in my mind is king for weight to warmth. I am sure there are others and no doubt you can go the quilt route as well for more weight savings.

A bag i am going to pick up to run in my floorless to save carting a ground cloth is the nemo argali... getting great reviews amd coupled with one of the above pads your looking at combo under 3.5 pounds.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Another vote for Western Mountaineering. The best weight to warmth and they pack down the smallest.
7ca2f26f99a2803eb257788eb91817c9.jpg

This is my Alpinlite in a small compression sack. 20 degree wide bag at 1lb 15oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XTherm for sure and unless you’re absolutely set to buying a bag, I’d suggest checking out a quilt. You won’t find any traditional sleeping bag that will even come close to the light weight and compactness of a quilt of the same temp. rating. Quilts are very versatile as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
The only 2 pads I would go with are the Neo Xtherm or the Exped.

Lots of good bags....buy a quality bag, it makes a difference. Buy a cheap BA or Kelty bag and you will eventually be cussing yourself. [my apologies to those that own them] Personally, I lose a lot of moisture when I sleep, so on those hunts where I see a lot of wet damp weather, I go with my Synthetic bag as I've had trips where so much moisture built up in my bag I lost a little insulation with down. On the summer [drier] pack trips I do my down bag.

Now it seems many guys don't have the problems I've had with down, YMMV

XTherm for sure and unless you’re absolutely set to buying a bag, I’d suggest checking out a quilt. You won’t find any traditional sleeping bag that will even come close to the light weight and compactness of a quilt of the same temp. rating. Quilts are very versatile as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quilts are the way to go. I would never own a bag again. The insulation your lying on is useless anyways.

OP
A

Adubs

FNG
I’m interested in learning more about quilts, hadn’t really considered them but it seems like a great concept...what are the biggest pros or cons between the two? I know some of this is personal preference but what about down, synthetic, or kuiu super down?

Last edited:

Wolfey

FNG
I’m interested in learning more about quilts, hadn’t really considered them but it seems like a great concept...what are the biggest pros or cons between the two? I know some of this is personal preference but what about down, synthetic, or kuiu super down?
Quilts can be opened up like a blanket for warm temps and closed like a mummy bag when it's cold. The quilt doesn't wrap all the way under you so you're not compressing insulation which would be wasted down since it can't loft that way. Only downside it that they can feel drafty if not attached to the pad correctly. A quilt is also lightweight and cheaper. If getting a down bag of get a water resistant kind. I wouldn't get a kuiu super down bag when other companies have the same thing for cheaper. Maybe check out Hammock Gears Burrow or Burrow Econ line of quilts. Theyre made however you want it and you can get 2 Econs for the price of one WM or kuiu bag.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk