Tent, pad, sleeping bag on on a budget?

Hey there, looking to get some opinions on a good lightweight 2P tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag on a budget? I understand you can only get so light weight for the price, but I’m looking for the best bang for the bucks on these items. I’ll be using in Montana bow season, about 7-10 days a year.

Luked

WKR
First thing I would ask, and im still new also but was in the same boat not long ago is what is your budget, Do you have to have a enclosed type tent or will floorless work? and also what kind of weight are you willing to carry?
For me I went Floorless with a Seek Outside Silex, for a bag i got a Kifaru Slick bag 20 degree.
Then dont forget a pad. It is probably as important as the bag.

Rob5589

WKR
Used or close out is a good bet. I've used Sierra trading post on close outs. Klymit was selling some close out pads a while back that were a steal.

nobody

WKR
I ran this bag last year and had no issues. It's a bit heavy compared to competition, but not ridiculous. Don't use it anymore because I ended up with a different bag through a company party, but I would still rock it if I needed to. It's not going anywhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086TVVGZJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Klymit sleeping pads are a really good, fairly lightweight, inexpensive option. This is what I still run:
https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-06STO...t+sleeping+pad,sporting,108&sr=1-1-spons&th=1

This Slumberjack tent has proven to be really good quality. Again, not super light, but it works and gets you out there.
https://sjkgear.com/nightfall-2-person-tent/

This was my setup all last year, and with the exception of the sleeping bag, it all still gets used. In fact, the pad is going with me all week into the backcountry chasing archery elk in the rain (buddy is bringing his tent, a Luxe 4 person tipi has more space for bags for 2 guys). Don't get discouraged, you can get really solid and 100% useable gear for a good price. For sub $300, you can get all this stuff pretty easy. And it's not ultra heavy either, all in it's about 10 LBS. Granted, I'm upgrading as I can, but there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with any of this gear above. It's perfectly functional and fills its role nicely, and it allowed me to funnel off money to other portions of my more critical gear at the time.

Look on Geartrade. I just picked up a slightly used, really nice Marmot 3 season 3 person tent for 60% off. At 6 pounds it should be great for my daughter and me.

fmyth

WKR
Klymit sells their refurbs on Ebay for cheap. I have one and am happy w it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 8.34.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 8.34.55 AM.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 30

hikenhunt

WKR
If you are planning on sharing your tent, I would go with a 3P unless you don't mind getting a little cozy with your hunting partner.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Make sure you balance price with R value on whatever pad you choose. Section Hiker is the resource for looking at the true R value ratings on pads. Klymit makes a super comfy pad, but their advertised R values are way higher than their actual tested values.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thanks to everyone. Yeah I’m looking for an enclosed tent. I see that you can get some of the REI tents for a really good price, any experience with them? For the price they come in around 5 lbs for s 2P tent, vs 2.5 for some others but can have for 3-400$ less.

As far as pads, when you go up in price what are you getting? Just lighter weight or significant gains in comfort?
Same with sleeping bags?

*zap*

WKR
Rei tents are fine....older ones in good shape can be as low as $100 or less....my passage 2 is good for one person and fairly light.

peterk123

WKR
Thanks to everyone. Yeah I’m looking for an enclosed tent. I see that you can get some of the REI tents for a really good price, any experience with them? For the price they come in around 5 lbs for s 2P tent, vs 2.5 for some others but can have for 3-400$ less.

As far as pads, when you go up in price what are you getting? Just lighter weight or significant gains in comfort?
Same with sleeping bags?
I have been using an rei quarter dome 2 for several years. Here it is on my elk hunt from last week. Great bang for the buck. It had gone all over the country with me.

I did not cheap out on my bag. Feathered friends for me. 15 degree. Get a great insulated pad. It's worth the extra 100 bucks over a cheap one.

Do not cheap out on your sleep. I think it is more important than your bow or gun.

Treat them well and they will last a very long time.

20220908_163844.jpg

Hi Tom,
Nobody asked whether you intend to car camp or backpack your shelter & sleep system in. If the latter, what's your maximum weight for all these things. It makes a difference. Ounces add up to pounds and pounds reduce your distance. Understanding your specific needs is prerequisite #1. Then budget. Do you want this shelter and sleep system to perform in a variety of places and seasons? Something to think about.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Tom, if your car camping I think the budget gear is gonna work great but if your backpacking I would avoid the budget gear and just borrow or rent until you get the gear you actually want purchased. It might take a couple seasons but at least you won't be buying stuff twice. That's what I should have done, plus no one wants the budget gear so the used market sucks for it.

OP
T
I’ll be backpacking it in. I know the passage 2 tent for example weighs like 5-6 lbs, but it’s only 120 bucks right now, and it would cost almost 150 to rent higher quality stuff for a week that’s why I’m considering it for short term.

As far as good r value sleep pads, what do you all suggest for the 100-200 dollar range for the lightest weight/best quality

jofes

WKR
My opinion would be a cedar ridge outdoors quilt, a Nemo hornet or tarptent double rainbow, and a cheap foam pad.

Drenalin

WKR
The REI Passage 2 tent is pretty good, just heavy. It's luxurious for one person with gear, and you won't get one much cheaper than what they're selling new ones for now.

I don't have any input on a traditional sleeping bag. If you decide to go with a quilt, I'd look at a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow. Good pricing, not outrageously heavy, and reviews indicate they're pretty true to temp. It's also still a down quilt, which I personally strongly prefer over synthetic insulation.

The Klymit pads are comfortable, and as pointed out above, can be had for a good price off their eBay site. I really liked the Insulated Static V I tried, especially for the price. But they don't work well with quilts. If you're willing to spend up to $200 on the pad, I'd get a new XLite or a used XTherm. The XTherm is a one-and-done pad, no need to upgrade later.

Drenalin

WKR
Mine works awesome for me, I take it you're not a quilt guy? I run a 0 quilt year round.
Yeah, I'm a quilt guy. No way in hell I'd use one in the cold on a pad with an R-value of 2 or less, or recommend anyone else do it. If it works for you though, rock on.

BDRam16

WKR
I got a used Marmot Never Summer 0* down bag for under $100 on eBay it is like new. Just have to be patient and wait for a deal. The only thing in my system I would have done differently at this point is a wide pad. I toss and turn a lot and end up sliding off my pad.