need advice: distance of scope from eye and how much do you stretch when shooting rifle?

The back of the scope starts about where the tensioning screw is visible on the bottom of the rear cover.

I had someone look at it and say that they scope was crazy far back. But I'm seeing other setups similar to that just by googling "scoped rifle".

Does it look that different?

I’m not sure what you’re talking about with tensioning screws and rear covers.

Look at the two scopes on tikkas in the picture I posted. They are mounted correctly for me and appear a little further back than yours.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
I’m not sure what you’re talking about with tensioning screws and rear covers.

Look at the two scopes on tikkas in the picture I posted. They are mounted correctly for me and appear a little further back than yours.

I just wanted to give you an idea of what it might look like without the large scope covers in place. I popped them off for good, so here's a pic of that.

Attachments

• gif.gif
    gif.gif
    127 KB · Views: 6

Dave0317

WKR
One thing to note, is that your head position shifts quite a bit going from standing to prone. I feel like for most people your head is furthest back when standing, and is slightly more forward for each position from there to prone. I like to set my eye relief in the sitting position. This puts my head at about the mid point of where it is when standing vs prone.

If you set your scope when standing and then shot prone or a deeply forward leaning sitting, I’d fully expect the scope to come pretty close to your face.

There are some other factors that could be at play too, but the above is the biggest for me.

OP
R

raisins

FNG
One thing to note, is that your head position shifts quite a bit going from standing to prone. I feel like for most people your head is furthest back when standing, and is slightly more forward for each position from there to prone. I like to set my eye relief in the sitting position. This puts my head at about the mid point of where it is when standing vs prone.

If you set your scope when standing and then shot prone or a deeply forward leaning sitting, I’d fully expect the scope to come pretty close to your face.

There are some other factors that could be at play too, but the above is the biggest for me.

Thanks. Good points that I'll check out and think about. This is an eastern hill country public land deer rifle. I've never shot at an animal prone because I've never hunted in areas with agriculture fields or large expanses. But maybe one day I'll switch things up and go somewhere new. Most of my shots are off a shooting stick and usually while sitting against a tree. Average shot is 50 to 100 yards.

This is the first time I've mounted my own scope on a high powered deer rifle (on 22 LRs and 5.56s I've put scopes on there's not enough recoil for the issue below to have come up). This is a Tikka Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has a Trijicon Credo 3-9X40 scope on it mounted with a 1 piece DNZ game reaper mount. I have torque wrench, Wheeler leveling kit, and gun vise. And the mechanics of all that and squaring the reticle is not problem.

I always felt on my other deer rifles (all given to me with scopes already on) that on the highest scope power I really had to overly stretch to get rid of the black ring around the sight picture. I read that you should set the scope on highest power and shoulder it naturally and set the scope as far away as you can and still get a clear picture in that posture.

That's what I did and it forced me to set the front scope ring 1/8" from the front objective bell because I didn't want to mess with bedding a pic rail and then using 2 piece mounts that I would probably want to lap. Wanting to keep it simple.

This worked fine until I got my new Tenebraex scope covers and went to the range today. These are the ones that need a friction fit adapter for this scope and so the ring cover when open adds at least about 0.667 inches to the back of the scope. These things are chunky and overbuilt.

I was shooting relaxed with my nondominant hand on the rear sand bag and squeezing off surprise shots.

EVERY single shot the ring of the Tenebraex scope cover at least touched my nose/glasses/brow. And one time it hit it pretty good...no blood though.

I know I'm going to get a flinch if I keep this up.

With the way the scope is set now, I feel I am so relaxed and not straining forward to get into the scope that when it goes off that all the slack being taken up in my body (because I'm not stretched forward) allows the scope to slide back a bit much.

I like the clear scope covers and wanted them because I hunt in some nasty weather sometimes. But it seems my options are: get rid of the Tenebraex rear scope cover or slide my scope forward in the rings so I'm stretched out more.

Please advise. Pic of the rifle attached. There's a bubble level on the tube behind the front ring. Thanks.
It’s really common that the length of pull on most guns are too long for a lot of people. Check that out and see if that’s causing your issues.