Need a new truck, what’s good?

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Why can’t a manufacturer take that $75 to 100k it costs to buy a new truck these days and instead of directing those funds to a bunch of tech nonsense and silly features, just make something bombproof?

I would so much rather pay for a truck that doesn’t break down and will last 15 to 20 years versus something that talks to me, has a TV screen bigger than my home, and has so much AI it thinks it’s smarter than me.

I absolutely despise all the BS tech on my new Tundra and would instantaneously trade for better build quality. Wouldn’t the average consumer too? I just don’t understand all these bells and whistles. Why not just build something that works! Wouldn’t that sell more trucks?
Nah, the average consumer 100% wants the bells and whistles. I work at GM, at my previous plant we built something like 80% of the trucks in the highest trim available, all the doodads and nonsense.

Gotta factor in planned obsolescence too, if it lasts forever then nobody buys new ones.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly probably not. Most people seem to want all the new tech and less want bombproof. We are all so use to changing vehicles so often that it really doesnt matter.

I wish Toyota would rebuild the 1st gen Tundra DC. Slap a 30K brand new price tag on it and I would buy two.
I have thought that too! I figured there would have to be a market for people who want a basic no frills super reliable vehicle. Especially as prices keep shooting up. But what do I know I guess.

CorbLand

WKR
I have thought that too! I figured there would have to be a market for people who want a basic no frills super reliable vehicle. Especially as prices keep shooting up. But what do I know I guess.
Ford is kind of trying it with the Maverick. I am seeing more and more of those around so maybe that will cause a shift.

My last few F150 have gotten to >200K miles. In fact, when I bought my 2019, I put new belts and did a tuneup on my 2010 and gave it to a buddy's girlfriend's son, since he was in a band and needed a way to haul his gear around - and the truck had a Leer cap on it (don't get me started on caps though, I'm not a fan of any of them with lights leaking, locks breaking, poor quality control Grrrr....). Anyhow, he's still driving it today, five years later. Other than a bum oxygen sensor of one of the vehicles, which was an easy fix. they've been mint.
Feel like F150s are pretty reliable, I'll be in the market for a truck in the next 6ish months or so. I'd say they are at the top of my list currently.

CorbLand

WKR
Feel like F150s are pretty reliable, I'll be in the market for a truck in the next 6ish months or so. I'd say they are at the top of my list currently.
The 3.5s are pretty notorious for losing the turbos around 150K and I have seen a lot of posts (I follow a few mechanics on various platforms) about timing issues with some as well.

Other than that, they dont seem to have very many issues. The few I have ridden in seem to be well built.

SDHNTR

WKR
Honestly probably not. Most people seem to want all the new tech and less want bombproof. We are all so use to changing vehicles so often that it really doesnt matter.

I wish Toyota would rebuild the 1st gen Tundra DC. Slap a 30K brand new price tag on it and I would buy two.
That’s insane to me. Just like when I buy a rifle scope. I want it to be as fail proof as possible. Features are nice but they are a WAY distant second to durability and reliability!

SDHNTR

WKR
Nah, the average consumer 100% wants the bells and whistles. I work at GM, at my previous plant we built something like 80% of the trucks in the highest trim available, all the doodads and nonsense.

Gotta factor in planned obsolescence too, if it lasts forever then nobody buys new ones.
The average consumer wants bullchit over reliability? Huh?

The 3.5s are pretty notorious for losing the turbos around 150K and I have seen a lot of posts (I follow a few mechanics on various platforms) about timing issues with some as well.

Other than that, they dont seem to have very many issues. The few I have ridden in seem to be well built.
don't they still sell V8s?

Lol i’m going tomorrow to look at a 2020 with the 5.0 V8 with 31K miles. Wish me luck
Check the service history and the oil. Even the newer 5.0 have a serious oil consumption issue. Just something to be aware of. That’s the major issue with them, if the rings are seated and it’s broken in correctly they are a great engine.

Check the service history and the oil. Even the newer 5.0 have a serious oil consumption issue. Just something to be aware of. That’s the major issue with them, if the rings are seated and it’s broken in correctly they are a great engine.
The service history looks solid. Also it’s certified by Ford so it’ll be warrantied for 7 years/100K miles from original purchase date which was march 2021. I know there’s a service bulletin for it, I’ll mention it to the techs for sure.

Why can’t a manufacturer take that $75 to 100k it costs to buy a new truck these days and instead of directing those funds to a bunch of tech nonsense and silly features, just make something bombproof?

I would so much rather pay for a truck that doesn’t break down and will last 15 to 20 years versus something that talks to me, has a TV screen bigger than my home, and has so much AI it thinks it’s smarter than me.

I absolutely despise all the BS tech on my new Tundra and would instantaneously trade for better build quality. Wouldn’t the average consumer too? I just don’t understand all these bells and whistles. Why not just build something that works! Wouldn’t that sell more trucks?

100% my sentiment and honestly why it would be hard for me to buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. That’s a shit ton of money on a vehicle that I’m confident won’t last like the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks we had growing up. Keep the nice leather, heat/cool seats, cameras. Toss the rest of that crap that they charge $20k for and give me work horse that drinks like a camel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, other than loss of power or potentially blowing an engine, fords are well built….

Got it…

Sorry. Had to! lol

CorbLand

WKR
So, other than loss of power or potentially blowing an engine, fords are well built….

Got it…

Sorry. Had to! lol

Well, I like to think that most people are smart enough to see that when buying a vehicle you are buying a machine that has a bunch of components that must work together for it to function properly. So when one of the 1000s of components fails, but the other ones work flawlessly, then is it badly built or is it well built?

What company has ever built an affordable vehicle that works completely flawlessly?

When buying a vehicle, one needs to take all the information in and make an educated decision on what is going to be best for them. Motors failing is a major failure and a no go for me but if you told me I could replace one 7000 dollar motor in pickup XX or I can replace 10 things on pickup YY to a total of 10000 dollars...well, I need to make a decision for myself.

Got it…

Sorry. Had to! lol

I was just under my 2015 F150 replacing O2 sensors at 167,000 miles.
It looks brand new underneath.
No leaks, no rust.
Interior looks like a 3 year old truck, not 9.
Compared to my 2006 Tacoma at 8 years old, the Tacoma was ready to rust in half.
The engine ran, albeit without the VVT that requires oil pressure to activate.
I had been through two water pumps, a speed sensor for the 6sp manual, number body trim pieces and the fuel door was hanging on by a shred of rusting steel.
Add that to the necessary suspension work and interior wear from cheap materials and I will take the Ford 10/10.
No Cam Phaser or Turbo issues on the 3.5 Ecoboost, either but I do my own maintenance and run premium oil at 7500 mile intervals.

Hope I didn't jinx myself.