Need 7mm Rem mag rifle suggestions

Andrewk53

FNG
hey so I am looking to purchase a reliable and accurate rifle in 7 rem mag for hunting and some casual distance shooting. i would prefer if it was threaded from the factory so i have options for muzzle breaks/suppressors down the line. my budget for just the rifle is $1000-$1500. I’ve looked at quite a few but have had trouble narrowing it down so any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

I know this is a big ole can of worms but if you don't already have a 7 rem mag take a look at the new 7mm PRC. You gain modern case design and twist rates. If you are sticking with the 7 rem mag the Tikka suggestion above is a good one.

Check out the Browning X Bolt speed. I picked one up in 7RM with a 1/8 twist. Shoots 180 gr handloads over 3000 fps. Crazy accurate with both factory and handloads. Love shooting it.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 7 PRC suggestion, but 7 Rem Mag is great too. Tikka would be nice, or, for a little more on your high end of spending could get you a Seekins Havak PH2, which would be a one rifle as well, my buddy has one in 300 PRC and it’s a tack driver.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Christensen Mesa, I’ve got one in 7rm and have been very happy. I haven’t shot a Tikka but handling them at the shop I didn’t like the feel/finish of the stock.

Browning XBolt or a Bergara Wilderness Ridge. Both are tack drivers. Last year in CO my sons shot elk at 600 and 660 yards with their Bergara Ridge 7 mm mags. I use an XBolt 300 Win mag which is a tack driver but was so impressed with the Bergara's I bought a 7 mm mag!

bmart2622

WKR
I got my hands on one of the new carbon barrled Bergaras the other day, that would be pretty high on my list. Or a Seekins PH2, slightly above your budget but its a lot of rifle for the money. I really want to like the CA but theres just too much negative out there for me to take a chance on one

f16jack

WKR
We might need a little more info. Are you planning on hunting whitetails from a stand, or backpacking into the wilderness for a week with this rifle? I would recommend two different rifles (prob same caliber) for these two different hunts.

OP
A

Andrewk53

FNG
We might need a little more info. Are you planning on hunting whitetails from a stand, or backpacking into the wilderness for a week with this rifle? I would recommend two different rifles (prob same caliber) for these two different hunts.
This would preferably be a rifle i could take backpacking but that doesn’t mean I need the lightest rifle in the world

jpmulk

WKR
I have a tikka. It shoots great. I bought a christensen mesa. It shot horrible. Guess i got one of the unlucky ones. Id go Tikka.

f16jack

WKR
Rifles are tools. They deliver bullets.
Bullets: I agree with the folks who recommend the 7mm Rem Mag. There are other cartridges that are just fine also. 7 of 8 guys in my elk camp are 7 Rem Mag guys (including me) and we have never had any issues with appropriate kill power. Do other cartridges work? You bet. I would stay away from anything smaller than a 270, or anything larger than a 300 Win Mag.

Rifles: Non rusting, non wood rifle. Stainless, Synthetic, Carbon fiber, etc... anything you don't mind getting wet and banging up on the rocks. I learned this over the years. I had a nice, glossy Remington 700 BDL and I was hunting in ever-rainy New Zealand. Water on the barrel all the time, and I slipped in a choked gorge and had to toss my rifle to the rim and grab some roots to keep from being swept downstream. I nicked the nice stock. I fixed it when I got home and promptly sold it. I bought the same rifle in Stainless Synthetic. It is a heavy rifle, though, so 2 years ago I bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent carbon fiber. Great lightweight rifle. It is 6 lb 7 oz, with a 9.5 twist rate. Once I got it I unscrewed the muzzle brake and put on my suppressor, so as to preserve my hearing. The trigger comes at about 4# pull; reduce that down to 2 1/2# or so. A nice Leuplod VX-6 HD on top and I was good to go. For the hunting you seem to want a good Leupold VX-3HD (3.5-10x40) would be a perfect scope (model # 180617).
When you hunt put a ballon over the end of the barrel. Prevents snow/dirt from getting in.

mountain-ascent.png

Which durable rifle should you buy? Your choice. They are all reliable and will be accurate.

Watch my video on bullets and this rifle on YouTube:

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Easy. I'd get a Browning X-bolt because they have a fast twist barrel option in your price range. Nobody else does that I know of.

Plus they're just great rifles to shoot and operate.

f16jack

WKR
Easy. I'd get a Browning X-bolt because they have a fast twist barrel option in your price range. Nobody else does that I know of.

Plus they're just great rifles to shoot and operate.
That's a 9 1/2 twist, 26" barrel, 7 lb 0 oz. It is walnut with a blued barrel though.
The X-bolt Speed (suppressor ready) would be a better tool.