Navigating Sleeping Bag Choices

Which bag would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi All,

This is my first post here and would really like help narrowing down my options for sleeping bags. I realize that this topic has been discussed to death so I thought I would do a poll and ask about personal experience.

Relevant information: I am trying to decide between Stone Glacier and Western Mountaineering sleeping bags ranging from 15-0 degrees. I will need a long bag and space is tight. I run a EXO K4 3600 and might get the 5000 if that becomes necessary. This sleeping bag will need to be as versatile as possible, to prevent the need for a hand full of bags. I am a cold sleeper.

The immediate need for this bag will be for my first elk hunt. I will be hunting second rifle in western CO. If any of you have experience in that region during that time any advice on the sleep system you used will be greatly appreciated.

Bag choices:
1.SG Chilkoot 15*
2. SG Chilkoot 0*
3. WM Antelope MF 5*
4. WM Kodiak MF 0*
5. WM Badger MF 15*

If you have any experience with these bags or there variants please chime in. Warmth, compression, experience in wet conditions.

Thanks for any help.

rcb2000

WKR
I have the WM Badger, great bag. That said, it got COLD on my rifle hunt last year and would have loved the 0 degree,, so that’s what vote I cast.

OP
G
I have the WM Badger, great bag. That said, it got COLD on my rifle hunt last year and would have loved the 0 degree,, so that’s what vote I cast.
Thanks for that input. I’m a cold sleeper so I should probably air on the side of caution.

wildcat33

WKR
For WM you have to watch out on the sizing, there is a big difference between the antelope and the others you mentioned in width. Buy the narrowest bag you can fit in comfortably otherwise your body is heating dead air (colder). The 5* antelope would be my pick. Or the 15* SG would be more versatile, just throw in a hot Nalgene if temps dip.

Legend

WKR
Hi All,

This is my first post here and would really like help narrowing down my options for sleeping bags. I realize that this topic has been discussed to death so I thought I would do a poll and ask about personal experience.

Relevant information: I am trying to decide between Stone Glacier and Western Mountaineering sleeping bags ranging from 15-0 degrees. I will need a long bag and space is tight. I run a EXO K4 3600 and might get the 5000 if that becomes necessary. This sleeping bag will need to be as versatile as possible, to prevent the need for a hand full of bags. I am a cold sleeper.

The immediate need for this bag will be for my first elk hunt. I will be hunting second rifle in western CO. If any of you have experience in that region during that time any advice on the sleep system you used will be greatly appreciated.

Bag choices:
1.SG Chilkoot 15*
2. SG Chilkoot 0*
3. WM Antelope MF 5*
4. WM Kodiak MF 0*
5. WM Badger MF 15*

If you have any experience with these bags or there variants please chime in. Warmth, compression, experience in wet conditions.

Thanks for any help.
Buy the highest rated temp bag. Then wear your puffy coat and long johns if needed. I took a 20 degree WM bag inside a bivy sack to negative 9 on top of a windy mountain with this approach. Slept just fine.

If you are worried about weight it doesn't make sense to have warm clothes laying beside a heavy sleeping bag.

ljalberta

WKR
Badger is an excellent all-around bag. But if you’re a cold sleeper and want a single bag for use in colder temperatures, I would move to the Kodiak. Then sleep with any of the bags opened up as a quilt in warmer weather.

As others have mentioned as well, if you get a 15* bag instead of a 0* you can layer up inside. I don’t know what the real temperatures you’ll see would be, but if I was using an Xtherm or equivalent pad, I would take the Badger if real overnight temps would be around 30 down to 25. If temps were going to be lower I’d be moving to the Kodiak. I’m also a cold sleeper.

Cyril

FNG
I voted badger. Too me it comes down to two things...if you want versatility, get a 15 degree bag and if colder wear additional layers. If you want the most warmth because you are a cold sleeper, get a 0 degree bag and have the insurance that you will be comfortable in the coldest conditions.

Side note, I have a kodiak I pair with a exped 7R pad. I think it would be tight no matter how you pack it in a 3600 bag. I have a K3 4800 and if I am packing solo camp with 3 liter bladder, I am stuffed to the gills with 2 to 3 days food. It is a bulky sleep system that just makes stuffing everything else in tough. Not impossible and easier if you have two people and can split a few things up or pack in less water and fill up by camp.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
The Antelope is a warm bag--it is cut on the trim side and I am more comfortable with an expander zipped in it but probably maximally efficient and comfortable enough without it.

OP
G
Buy the highest rated temp bag. Then wear your puffy coat and long johns if needed. I took a 20 degree WM bag inside a bivy sack to negative 9 on top of a windy mountain with this approach. Slept just fine.

If you are worried about weight it doesn't make sense to have warm clothes laying beside a heavy sleeping bag.
That’s been my thought process for sure. I have a down jack and and pants that will be going with me.

OP
G
The area I am going shows historical temps in the 20s during second rifle, but that is the nearest metro area, so I’m sure it will be a little different in the mountains.

OP
G
What elevation were you hunting at? Looks like I’ll be roughly 6500-9000 depending on which part of the units I’ll be in.

I have run 4 of the bags mentioned.

SG 15. Great bag construction. I am 6'5" and the bag is an inch short for me. I also dislike the draft collar magnet contraption. Otherwise it kept me warm down to 20 with baselayers in CO archery last year. Good room in chest area (I wear 48" shirts). Will be keeping for my son.

WM antelope. Used one CO 3rd season rifle. Kept me warm down to 10 degrees or so. Sold it because it was too tight across the chest. Otherwise great bag.

WM Kodiak. I have the 7' version, not sure why...lol. Great bag with plenty of room. Have been below zero and slept fine. I will say it takes a loooooong time to heat up. I am 6'5" and 240. It will take 30-40 minutes. Only downside I can think of. This is my go to for 3rd season rifle CO.

WM Badger 6'6". I tested down to 15 with baselayers for a night and slept fine. Bag fits great. Seemed to heat up a little quick, 15m or so. It will be my bag for CO archery. Could probably go single digits with some layers.

WM bags do a good job of moving body moisture out of bag. You will see condensation on the shell of the bag each morning. Didn't see it as much on the SG bag for whatever reason. I have had some pretty damp conditions inside a tent and never had an issue with wetting out with the WM bag. If I was going to be in constant rainy conditions, I would go synthetic. Never really had that in CO. Hope this helps.

OP
G
I have run 4 of the bags mentioned.

SG 15. Great bag construction. I am 6'5" and the bag is an inch short for me. I also dislike the draft collar magnet contraption. Otherwise it kept me warm down to 20 with baselayers in CO archery last year. Good room in chest area (I wear 48" shirts). Will be keeping for my son.

WM antelope. Used one CO 3rd season rifle. Kept me warm down to 10 degrees or so. Sold it because it was too tight across the chest. Otherwise great bag.

WM Kodiak. I have the 7' version, not sure why...lol. Great bag with plenty of room. Have been below zero and slept fine. I will say it takes a loooooong time to heat up. I am 6'5" and 240. It will take 30-40 minutes. Only downside I can think of. This is my go to for 3rd season rifle CO.

WM Badger 6'6". I tested down to 15 with baselayers for a night and slept fine. Bag fits great. Seemed to heat up a little quick, 15m or so. It will be my bag for CO archery. Could probably go single digits with some layers.

WM bags do a good job of moving body moisture out of bag. You will see condensation on the shell of the bag each morning. Didn't see it as much on the SG bag for whatever reason. I have had some pretty damp conditions inside a tent and never had an issue with wetting out with the WM bag. If I was going to be in constant rainy conditions, I would go synthetic. Never really had that in CO. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the detailed input. How would you say the Badger and Chilkoot compare as for as packability?

rcb2000

WKR
What elevation were you hunting at? Looks like I’ll be roughly 6500-9000 depending on which part of the units I’ll be in.
About 9000.
Others are absolutely correct to point out you can layer up in a 15 degree bag.
I get claustrophobic sleeping in a puffy jacket and pants inside a sleeping bag,, so I’ll take the weight penalty.

OP
G
About 9000.
Others are absolutely correct to point out you can layer up in a 15 degree bag.
I get claustrophobic sleeping in a puffy jacket and pants inside a sleeping bag,, so I’ll take the weight penalty.
What size backpack do you use for a zero degree bag?

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the market for a WM bag but ended up getting a deal on a used chilkoot 15 in the classifieds. It’s an excellent bag, I thought it was roomy, and compresses nicely. You can layer accordingly inside for colder weather so I personally wouldn’t go any more than a 15 degree bag and save yourself the weight and bulk.

OP
G
The Antelope is a warm bag--it is cut on the trim side and I am more comfortable with an expander zipped in it but probably maximally efficient and comfortable enough without it.
Thanks for the input on the cut of the Antelope. I need a little wiggle room inside the bag and this helped me remove one bag from my consideration.

OP
G
I was in the market for a WM bag but ended up getting a deal on a used chilkoot 15 in the classifieds. It’s an excellent bag, I thought it was roomy, and compresses nicely. You can layer accordingly inside for colder weather so I personally wouldn’t go any more than a 15 degree bag and save yourself the weight and bulk.
That’s been my mind set. I’m particularly interested in the WM Badger and the Chilkoot 15. On BlackOvis they are only $100 dollars different, sounds like I can’t really go wrong with either.