My People... Looking for Employment

fmyth

WKR
Big difference filming a show segment vs doing the job for decades.

The lack of bodies is multifaceted. Our company can't hire enough people. But they also pay shit to start which is probably the biggest factor. They haven't figured out that an EMT wants to make more per hr than someone at Starbucks.
An entry level EMT should make at least double the salary of a Starbucks barista.

Mojave

WKR
Personally, I think there are a lot of jobs that went remote due to COVID and many of those positions never worked their way back to a traditional in-person office setting.

Many companies want to see these employees come back to work, as culture suffered along with it. The more senior employees enjoy the space, but the less experienced hires are suffering from lack of collaboration and mentorship.

A lot of people suddenly feel entitled to a remote position and haven’t recognized that the narrative has flipped for many companies. If you have a prospective opportunity that’s local and in-person, I wouldn’t recommend leading with telling them you want to be fully remote… unless that’s a hard requirement for you. I’ve turned down some great candidates who no-longer want to be “burdened” by collaboration in-person.

Of course there are other companies which realized they could save a lot on office expenses by closing up shop and having everyone remote.

No one size fits all, but I guess my advice is to not miss on a good opportunity if it’s in person and otherwise suits your interest and experience.
I could give two shits about remote workers. I have spent the past 3 years putting up with BS from teleworkers and I am glad that this is starting to come to an end.

Good luck to you, Boomers and Pepsi Generation folks are really tired of footing the bill. I have 2 millenials that finally have it figured out that they actually can't do their job from home.

If you have some money saved, there is a giant nursing shortage. My daughter is 24 and makes almost as much as I do in my 50's.

2531usmc

WKR
Personally, I think there are a lot of jobs that went remote due to COVID and many of those positions never worked their way back to a traditional in-person office setting.

Many companies want to see these employees come back to work, as culture suffered along with it. The more senior employees enjoy the space, but the less experienced hires are suffering from lack of collaboration and mentorship.

A lot of people suddenly feel entitled to a remote position and haven’t recognized that the narrative has flipped for many companies. If you have a prospective opportunity that’s local and in-person, I wouldn’t recommend leading with telling them you want to be fully remote… unless that’s a hard requirement for you. I’ve turned down some great candidates who no-longer want to be “burdened” by collaboration in-person.

Of course there are other companies which realized they could save a lot on office expenses by closing up shop and having everyone remote.

No one size fits all, but I guess my advice is to not miss on a good opportunity if it’s in person and otherwise suits your interest and experience.
I don’t claim to be the all knowing expert on telework, but I suspect the days of full time telework is rapidly coming to an end.

The norm seems to be transitioning to being in the office tuesdaty through Thursday with telework Monday and Friday.

Looking for a new, full time, telework position on the cusp of a brutal recession is likely a futile quest

Scrappy

WKR
I think its because they are stupid. I work with all kinds of people that are so stupid its un believable. I honestly cannot believe I don't have to tie there shoes. I litterly have to watch everything they do like like a hawk.
I told my boss it would almost be easier to just do all 3 positions by myself rather then watch those dummies.

Litterly if I need to take a poop I almost have to put them in lock out tag out to keep them from screwing stuff up.
Would be funnier if it wasn't so true.

I live in Moscow and I’ve had lots of friends go to U of I. One of them got a CS degree and his starting pay out of college was 130k a year, so it’s possible to get better than 55k. Downside is you still have to pay for college whereas with a trade the company pays for school 😉
Good for them! That is one heck of a starting wage. My stepson's resume is light on actual tech experience and doesn't have a specific focus area. I'm guessing the person you mentioned had years of experience in a high demand field and was fortunate to find an immediate opportunity.

CS degree is like a biology degree. Without specific focus, you have lots of options.

I don’t claim to be the all knowing expert on telework, but I suspect the days of full time telework is rapidly coming to an end.

The norm seems to be transitioning to being in the office tuesdaty through Thursday with telework Monday and Friday.

Looking for a new, full time, telework position on the cusp of a brutal recession is likely a futile quest
It depends on the company. The outfit I work for had 5 floors in a swank office in Franklin, TN, filled back in 2017. We were bought by a company out of ATL, and by early 2020 they were leasing out 2 of the floors. When COVID hit they were able to move all customer service and telehealth coaches and nurses to full remote. by early 2022 there was a skeleton crew on one floor and they were leasing out the remainiing 4 floors. Last fall they sold the building completely and are completing a move to a very small footprint site reserved for skeleton staff and "hotel" desks for folks visiting. The main HQ is now in ATL, but those folks are mostly mid-management up to C-suite and more or less come and go as they desire.

My point is, a lot of companies in metro areas realized tremendous savings by getting out of expensive brick and mortar buildings and leases. These outfits will never go back to a full time in-office schedule, opting for full remote or hybrid models.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
What exactly is the culture there? That’s actually a very important factor and hearing that from someone with 19 years says a lot.

Edit, can you get me a discount? 🤣
Wish I had a dollar for every time someone has asked me that Lmao. Id be retired by now. So Comcast is broken up into divisions I work for West Division here so I cannot speak for the others but West is very big on supporting its team, There is a level of accountability and your expected to work hard and do a good job with Customer Focus always on the Forefront. Being a virtual team that accountability is turned up a notch but at same time we understand life is happening around us. Engagement is high with our teams, we expect you to be a part of the solution and not the problem. We also foster big ideas, and bold attempts at improving our work environment.

I agree with some of what you say, but have you ever watched Dirty Jobs, yes some of it is scripted, they can't go letting their star get serious hunt. He has slopped hogs, sheared sheep, wrestled crocks, gone into boilers and done hot and cold sides, I know all about that having been in the USN. He has done just about every dirty job you can think of, and yes he even worked on a rig with roughnecks. He, like a lot of lazy Americans is not afraid to get in there and do the work. About what he said about 7 mil. have taken themselves out of the work force, he was talking about able bodied males who are too lazy to get a job.

He's making a generalized statement about laziness and "working" a dirty job for a short stint of a week, a shift, or a tower doesn't qualify him to speak intelligently (accurately) about it. He's only seen a snapshot of it.

When he is on tower and pulls a wet string off bottom with OBM because of a plugged bit from 15,000' during a snow and ice storm, then he can come and talk about what a roughneck's job is. I doubt he'd go back if cut loose after doing that for a week because they laid the rig down. Would he then be lazy as well?

Just because someone chooses to no longer do back breaking work doesn't mean they're lazy. The world is full of fools duped into thinking they have to work for money at the behest of someone else all the while they live paycheck to paycheck hoping they don't lose that job.

And most of us are fools, or have been for many, many years...

I could give two shits about remote workers. I have spent the past 3 years putting up with BS from teleworkers and I am glad that this is starting to come to an end.

Good luck to you, Boomers and Pepsi Generation folks are really tired of footing the bill. I have 2 millenials that finally have it figured out that they actually can't do their job from home.

If you have some money saved, there is a giant nursing shortage. My daughter is 24 and makes almost as much as I do in my 50's.

A lot of "people returning" is out of habit that can't be shook lose. My current worker-bee job is accessed entirely by computer. No hard files, no hard drawings. I can get more done remotely than when my butts in a chair on-site because there are no interruptions the way there are in person.

There is absolutely no reason to not be able to do it 100% remote, yet the clueless CEO (literally) wants it differently...

I understand your desire to be fully remote and how you work your life around you kid/hunting/work. Get your job done and nothing else should matter. There is nothing entitled about that, it’s about balancing what’s best for your family.

I say take the unemployment and do not jump right into another job because you feel pressure. Take a breath and figure out what the next move for you is. But keep it quiet on here if you remove yourself from the job market for more than 3 weeks. Apparently you’ll get labeled an entitled millennial.

#1 Make sure your family is taken care of, and if you can get by for a bit, #2 make sure your next step is the right step.

Last edited:

Gutshotem

WKR
All of the people crying about people working from home are going to lose their minds when AI begins taking over.

Good luck OP. I'd say you're lucky to be moving to such an employment rich environment, I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

I understand your desire to be fully remote and how you work your life around you kid/hunting/work. Get your job done and nothing else should matter. There is nothing entitled about that, it’s about balancing what’s best for your family.

I say take the unemployment and do not jump right into another job because you feel pressure. Take a breath and figure out what the next move for you is. But keep it quiet on here if you remove yourself from the job market for more than 3 weeks. Apparently you’ll get labeled an entitled millennial.

#1 Make sure your family is taken care of, and if you can get by for a bit, #2 make sure your next step is the right step.

Exactly. Unemployment is a benefit you've paid for and should never be left on the table if and when you need it.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I appreciate all the replies and still get shocked by how rapid a discussion can get derailed and how people become so confrontational so fast!

I’m not going to weigh in on the remote vs in person working arrangements too much because I feel like it’s a fruitless effort in an online forum for myself. But for me personally, I WANT to work remote, or at least have the option to on occasion because I’ve found massive amounts of benefits. I wouldn’t mind going into an office and collaborating, or most likely just showing face and being friendly.

I say that I’m open or looking for remote work is because there a lot of jobs and companies based outside of the central Texas region. Since I am going to be located there, I can’t take a job in Atlanta if I’m not able to do that job remotely from Texas.

If I don’t find a remote career then I will find work local to me.

As far as all those saying go hunt and worry about it later, I hear you and I understand the sentiment. But, my personality is not going to allow me to. I’m not the sole bread winner in my family, my wife and split those duties rather equally. I’m not comfortable taking off for a couple weeks knowing that my income is gone but bills are still being required to be paid. Basically, as it’s going once my employment is wrapped up we’ll be taking our daughter out of child care in order to save some money and I’ll be a stay at home dad until I find new employment. One day I will take my daughter on a 2 week turkey hunting trip but she’s 3 right now so we’re going to stick to short trips from the house for now and not an intense travel trip. So, unfortunately at this time I won’t go on an expensive, long trek across the country with so much unknown.

I will apply for unemployment once I’m eligible because as those have said I have paid into it for over a decade. But I’m not completely sure what that income is going to look like yet so I am holding off on spending money until I know what the income is going to be.

Also, I will say this, I don’t consider myself to be entitled (or at least irrationally so), I just know what I want, what is possible, and what is most likely. Just trying to do what I can to be happy, make my family happy, and provide the best life possible for them.

But I’m not completely sure what that income is going to look like yet so I am holding off on spending money until I know what the income is going to be.
Just found this after a quick search. YMMV.

Texas​

The weekly benefit amount in Texas is 1/25th of your earnings in the highest quarter of your base period capped at 47.6% of average weekly wage in covered employment.

The minimum weekly benefit amount a Texan could receive is $69 and the maximum is $521.

If you collect income while on unemployment benefits, Texas will disregard $5 or 1/4th of your weekly benefit amount, whichever is greater.

The maximum coverage for unemployment benefits is 26 weeks.

I appreciate all the replies and still get shocked by how rapid a discussion can get derailed and how people become so confrontational so fast!

I’m not going to weigh in on the remote vs in person working arrangements too much because I feel like it’s a fruitless effort in an online forum for myself. But for me personally, I WANT to work remote, or at least have the option to on occasion because I’ve found massive amounts of benefits. I wouldn’t mind going into an office and collaborating, or most likely just showing face and being friendly.

I say that I’m open or looking for remote work is because there a lot of jobs and companies based outside of the central Texas region. Since I am going to be located there, I can’t take a job in Atlanta if I’m not able to do that job remotely from Texas.

If I don’t find a remote career then I will find work local to me.

As far as all those saying go hunt and worry about it later, I hear you and I understand the sentiment. But, my personality is not going to allow me to. I’m not the sole bread winner in my family, my wife and split those duties rather equally. I’m not comfortable taking off for a couple weeks knowing that my income is gone but bills are still being required to be paid. Basically, as it’s going once my employment is wrapped up we’ll be taking our daughter out of child care in order to save some money and I’ll be a stay at home dad until I find new employment. One day I will take my daughter on a 2 week turkey hunting trip but she’s 3 right now so we’re going to stick to short trips from the house for now and not an intense travel trip. So, unfortunately at this time I won’t go on an expensive, long trek across the country with so much unknown.

I will apply for unemployment once I’m eligible because as those have said I have paid into it for over a decade. But I’m not completely sure what that income is going to look like yet so I am holding off on spending money until I know what the income is going to be.

Also, I will say this, I don’t consider myself to be entitled (or at least irrationally so), I just know what I want, what is possible, and what is most likely. Just trying to do what I can to be happy, make my family happy, and provide the best life possible for them.

The reason to go hunting is you'd be surprised what plan you come up with if you're not dwelling on it the whole time - that doesn't mean forgetting about it. Sometimes you need a chance to relax, decompress, and assess a little. Chasing spring gobbles may just well be the best way to do that.

Just a suggestion is all.

Unemployment is a percentage of what you made. I had to do that for a couple of months once and it came out to about $380 per week.

I think its because they are stupid. I work with all kinds of people that are so stupid its un believable. I honestly cannot believe I don't have to tie there shoes. I litterly have to watch everything they do like like a hawk.
I told my boss it would almost be easier to just do all 3 positions by myself rather then watch those dummies.

Litterly if I need to take a poop I almost have to put them in lock out tag out to keep them from screwing stuff up.

*literally *their *literally

Sorry I couldn't resist being grammar nazi on a post calling other people stupid😂

*literally *their *literally

Sorry I couldn't resist being grammar nazi on a post calling other people stupid😂
Yeah I'm not good at spelling and definitely not grammar. I could give a rats ass about academics. I think alot of academics are stupid too. I don't consider someone that is highly academic as smart in all instances.
I'm sure there are a ton of people that score high on the SAT that do not have a clue how to change a tire.

What I was specifically talking about as stupid is my operator will call me on the radio tell me his machine is almost out of fuel, then ask if he should fill it up or let it run out.

The other operator did thousands of dollars worth of damage and cannot understand why anyone got upset.

Thats stupid.