My girlfriend got bit by a raccoon this evening…

taskswap

WKR
Not that this helps, but I’ve been bitten by quite a few raccoons and never saw a need for the rabies shots. Safe is always better than sorry but I’m sure she’ll be left with is nothing but a good story.
She probably will, but you got lucky. Rabies is 100% fatal with NO cure once it reaches a certain stage. The trouble is, a 100% accurate diagnosis is hard before that stage is reached, so you have to get the treatment without knowing you really need it, because once you know, you're a goner. There are those who think rabies is the basis of most vampire/werewolf myths...

These are great with a marshmallow and a little scent... then a 22 subsonic to the head.

Beendare

WKR
Sorry to hear that....

I would be interested to hear the whole process on the rabies shots as I've heard all kinds of crazy stuff.

I heard they inject you in the stomach or abdomen? Do they have to do injections over a few days?

zdc1775

FNG
Sorry to hear that....

I would be interested to hear the whole process on the rabies shots as I've heard all kinds of crazy stuff.

I heard they inject you in the stomach or abdomen? Do they have to do injections over a few days?

That is what my grandfather told me concerning the rabies shots he had to have after being bitten by a rat in Vietnam at the end of his second tour over there, that would have been sometime between around 67 or 68. Said it was about 16 shots in the stomach over the course of almost a month, and that they had caused him to stay an extra two or three weeks in country to finish the course of treatment.

Though that was a bit of blessing for him as several of the people he was supposed to go home with were killed during a mortar attack while they were either boarding or waiting to board the plane to take them home.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Sorry to hear that....

Last night she got injections around the wound, and another in the arm, along with an antibiotic shot and tetanus (she was due)

She has to go back in 3 days, get another shot, then again in 7 days, then 10, and the last one in 14 (from yesterday)

No stomach shots

She probably will, but you got lucky. Rabies is 100% fatal with NO cure once it reaches a certain stage. The trouble is, a 100% accurate diagnosis is hard before that stage is reached, so you have to get the treatment without knowing you really need it, because once you know, you're a goner. There are those who think rabies is the basis of most vampire/werewolf myths...

Yes, but the prevalence is so dang low. Fewer than 10 deaths in the US per year. Admittedly, no one wants to die that way, rare as it is.

Macintosh

WKR
yikes! buddy got attacked out of nowhere as well, coon just ran out and latched onto his calf as he walked to his car heading to work in the morning. That one tested positive. He said the shots were "interesting" (his way of saying he's tougher than me, which is true), said it was the consistency of honey injected directly into the wound? Sounds hideous if half true, although wouldnt put it past him to have been messing with the group of people we were with when he told that story....

I love the coon/bow/fire story. Best part is the post ends with a comma, not a period. Guess that means the story aint finished??

These are great with a marshmallow and a little scent... then a 22 subsonic to the head.

A tin of wet cat food and a handful of small marshmallows is enough bait to catch 2 dozen, doesn't take a lot. Don't waste ammo...just use a flathead shovel.

ODB

WKR
Last night she got injections around the wound, and another in the arm, along with an antibiotic shot and tetanus (she was due)

She has to go back in 3 days, get another shot, then again in 7 days, then 10, and the last one in 14 (from yesterday)

No stomach shots

Then She should be good for her next Battle Royale with Trash Panda

Fatcamp

WKR
Need more info on dog.

I imagine our dogs would be beyond excited to find a raccoon with mom.