My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus did you ever expound on how you take care of the Vivo's? Curious as to the leather prep you use to make it as "waterproof" as possible for winter.

- Yep was answered https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...e-layers-to-binos.347814/page-19#post-3779958
I can affirm the value of keeping them oiled.

Our local archery club's field shoots usually feature hikes through mud and creeks. I oil mine before each hike, and clean them afterwards. No water ingress issues in a couple of years' worth of use.

Wolfshead

Lil-Rokslider
What wool vest is that?
Try this, it looks very similar and these guys have a good product.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
View attachment 763881

View attachment 763882

That’s as good as I’ve got. It’s loose enough I often don’t roll it anymore. Probably took a month or so of wear and a washing to loosen up.

You are welcome, I’m glad to hear it has been of some use.
Snagged myself an Atlantic rancher ranger off eBay. It was originally an xxxl that apparently someone shrunk - fits more like a L/XL. I can see how this would keep you warm because is definitely robust. I need to compare it to a Duckworth powder hoody. Jury is still out if I want to pack something this heavy on a multi day hunt

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Snagged myself an Atlantic rancher ranger off eBay. It was originally an xxxl that apparently someone shrunk - fits more like a L/XL. I can see how this would keep you warm because is definitely robust. I need to compare it to a Duckworth powder hoody. Jury is still out if I want to pack something this heavy on a multi day hunt

It is a bit heavy, however u carried it all last season and will again this year. It just feels right.

WaWox

FNG
I did a side by side comparison of kuiu merino blend socks, mongulai 100% camel socks, and darn tough hiking merino socks -- one day for each (usually I'd not change socks 3x on a 3 day trip but this was for science!). I repeated this on two different 3 day trips but conditions happened to be so similar that results were also identical.

Kuiu fared the worst -- coldest (tied with Darn tough) in the morning pre dawn and when glassing in 35-40F weather or after dusk in camp, and sweatiest when hiking when it had heated up to 80+F during the day. Darn Tough were a smidgen less sweaty during the hot period. Camel was toasty during the cold periods and while still unpleasantly hot they made my feet feel least like I am melting inside my shoes when it hit 85F and we did a steep climb.

Also, the next day, I'd definitely have been happiest with wearing the camel ones again versus the other two -- all three were fine/ weren't smelly at all, but the camel ones still felt/smelt like straight out of the packaging