My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

Not to derail anyone on the side bags for the K4- they work and I am using them on it. However, there may be something in the works….

This season? September?
I'm debating sending my k2 in for some maintenance or simply buying a k4 and relegating the k2 to back-up and training.

Never heard of Aclima Woolnet. Went ahead and ordered a top and bottom to try out. I love merino wool but it seems if i sweat it collects it then I get a wind drift or something that makes me cold. The idea of a net to keep the "sweat collecting" layer off me makes sense. I try to do my best to layer where I don't sweat but it's inevitable at times.

Dobermann

WKR
Never heard of Aclima Woolnet. Went ahead and ordered a top and bottom to try out. I love merino wool but it seems if i sweat it collects it then I get a wind drift or something that makes me cold. The idea of a net to keep the "sweat collecting" layer off me makes sense. I try to do my best to layer where I don't sweat but it's inevitable at times.
Aclima Woolnet is the shizzle for sweaters ...

atmat

WKR
Just a heads-up to anyone interested. I was speaking with Don Tryon of Purcell Grills, which recently closed their doors.

One of his welders is buying the business from him and the website should be back up in the coming months.

So, looks like their grills are back on the menu.

lak2004

WKR
Great thread to read through at 3am when my 2 year old didn't want to sleep!

How's sizing on the aclima stuff? I'm 5'10" 170 lbs 33" waist normally a medium. Thanks

How's sizing on the aclima stuff? I'm 5'10" 170 lbs 33" waist normally a medium. Thanks

I ordered my normal size 6’2 215 34-35” waist and went xl bottom and xxl top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR

The Aclima gear can run small. Varuste used to stock it, and showed two completely different models with mediums on. One was about your size and they said small would fit. I'm similar to you, but 2" shorter, and small works.

So you might want medium - or get one of each to test. If you do, you could sell the other here easily.

Is there a use case for a heavy wool anorak, like the bushcraft style ones made from blankets? I got one for just basic outdoor stuff and I'm wondering if it fits into an oct/nov elk hunting arsenal.

@Formidilosus

Last edited:
I liked the LL Bean Commando sweater when I was with the Post Office and walking routes a lot (10+ miles daily). Wore that sweater and a very lite Marino base layer from the mid 30s and lower. I don’t ever recall being cold even when I was pretty wet from light rain. Would layer appropriately for colder, windy, sustained rain weather.

Not the lightest weight option but it worked well. I did not think it was that itchy. The shoulder patches did fade pretty fast.

@Formidilosus Have you tried buffalo wool socks? I have just worn them casually and feel they are warmer than Marino. I have worn their heaviest pair sitting in a treestand and my feet stayed warm all day in the teens. Put them over the socks I walked in wearing.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus how do you attached the CAT tourniquet to you bino harness to maintain easy/secure availability, adding one to my kit.

I’m using the ETQ from Snakestaff. On the SG sentinel, originally without the bottom pouch I ran it under the webbing and used a thick rubber band to hold the loose end. Now, it’s in the bottom pouch on the newer harness-

IMG_0924.jpeg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Is there a use case for a heavy wool anorak, like the bushcraft style ones made from blankets? I got one for just basic outdoor stuff and I'm wondering if it fits into an oct/nov elk hunting arsenal.

@Formidilosus

Sure if you are still hunting and not backpacking in. It’s too heavy for me to pack in.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I liked the LL Bean Commando sweater when I was with the Post Office and walking routes a lot (10+ miles daily). Wore that sweater and a very lite Marino base layer from the mid 30s and lower. I don’t ever recall being cold even when I was pretty wet from light rain. Would layer appropriately for colder, windy, sustained rain weather.

Not the lightest weight option but it worked well. I did not think it was that itchy. The shoulder patches did fade pretty fast.

@Formidilosus Have you tried buffalo wool socks? I have just worn them casually and feel they are warmer than Marino. I have worn their heaviest pair sitting in a treestand and my feet stayed warm all day in the teens. Put them over the socks I walked in wearing.

I have not used Buffalo wool ones, but I am planning to try them.