My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

Slim77

FNG
I have gotten 20-30 requests for a full gear post of what I use over the last year or two. I have not done so as certain gear brings out emotions more than which cartridge and bullets threads, and there is an element of personal preference. I also don’t solely or even generally base most of my choices on what I like, but rather from observing and noting what works the best/optimum for as many people as possible for the given conditions.
When it is personal preference that is driving my choices, I will state so. Otherwise, agree or not- there is an element of objectivity about the item.

Use case:

In general, the majority of what I do is October to February, western mountain hunting. Weather will range from 80°F to well below 0°F (lowest has been -27°F IIRC). Usually, but not always with significant portions in 6” to 18” of snow, at times more than 2 feet of snow.
That compromises probably 70-80% of my choices. However, the remainder is broken up between Aug-Sep antelope and sometimes sheep, and April-June bear hunting. The in between months are still spent in the mountain west, but also desert, high desert and the eastern US. For most of hunting season nothing really changes save insulation layers and sleep gear.

The posts will be laid out as such:

1). Overall view of gear for a September hunt.

2). Base layer and on body accessories

3). Outer layers

4). Shelter and sleeping

5). Food and water

6). Hard gear

7). Misc
What's the dollar figure on all the gear shown here? Just Round Numbers, lol

slowelk

WKR
The Stone Glacier R3 wing pockets will work on an Exo K4 very well. Looking at my buddies K3, the top strap is too low. The spacing of the top three straps on the K4 is perfect though.

I got six Duraflex triglides ($0.36 for each from Rockywoods.com).

View attachment 710464
View attachment 710463View attachment 710465

One R3 pocket will fit my puffy pants and midweight puffy jacket and getting to them is much easier. I can use the pockets to hold gear to the pack and no longer have to uncompressed the main bag to get my trekking poles if I put them on the side. I usually put them on the back for that reason, but with the pad on the back it did not work as well.

I like this. How's it work when you have meat between the bag and the frame?

Slim77

FNG
Do you ask everybody what they paid for everything? Price it out yourself and then grab some clean choanies.
It was a joke, but I also understand there are pricks like you that troll the comments, so whatever makes you feel like a big man.. lol.

Slim77

FNG
Well, since it wasn't a comment for you in the first place, I cant control how you perceive humor.. Im well aware of the actual cost, im not an idiot, hence the joke... my reply would be either, a couple hundred bucks if my wife is asking, or enuf to finance a small army, or I don't want to think about it, or any number of responses, if you have a since of humor. Some people have no since of humor, and those people more often than not, look for a problem, and instantly turn to negativity, which is why we are having this conversation. Sorry if you were offended, lol. My advice would be simply, scroll past.
It didn't come across like a joke at all. No need for name calling you don't even know me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, since it wasn't a comment for you in the first place, I cant control how you perceive humor.. Im well aware of the actual cost, im not an idiot, hence the joke... my reply would be either, a couple hundred bucks if my wife is asking, or enuf to finance a small army, or I don't want to think about it, or any number of responses, if you have a since of humor. Some people have no since of humor, and those people more often than not, look for a problem, and instantly turn to negativity, which is why we are having this conversation. Sorry if you were offended, lol. My advice would be simply, scroll past.
It did not come across as a joke. It came across as ignorant. If you have a sense of humor, then you should laugh off some taking a joke seriously, as it stands, it comes across as even less of a joke now.

Last edited:

Slim77

FNG
It did not come across as a joke. It came across as ignorant. If you have a sense of humor, then you should laugh off some taking a joke seriously, as it stands, it comes across as even less of a joke now.
Thanks for basically calling me ignorant Marbles, but don't worry, I won't report you to the moderator, unlike some others. Lmao...