My gear/pack layout from base layers to binos

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All this time I was thinking he was packing some sort of mini "grill" that I needed to check out. I click on your link and see that we're actually talking about "grates"......not grills. Amazing how we ever communicate effectively when our language and terminology are worlds apart. Toboggan........grill.......????? It's no wonder people get offended on forums, half the time we're talking about different things. :ROFLMAO:

MR packs ar generally heavier than others, and the suspension system isn’t as comfortable for me and others- too much padding at times and just fit oddly. Also, their load self, and load lifter angle on some is compromised. Good packs, and I certainly have no issue using them.

HPG it’s the bag designs- just sacks, and while extremely comfortable once set up- the harness and frame fit is tedious and they don’t carry really heavy loads well. Their Umlindi, is probably my favorite day pack though.

I hope it is of some use. It is ironic that even though I have closets, tubs, and sheds full of the latest technical clothing… In actual use side by side for months at a time, I generally prefer wool, Ventile cotton, waxed cotton canvas, down, leather boots, camel wools socks, and only some synthetics sprinkled in.
While I can only really speak for myself - I don’t think it would be uncommon if more understood how rapidly synthetics lose loft, how useless goretex boots are long term, how easily hardshell goretex can be compromised, the lifespan of DWR on soft shells etc..

I spent a lot of money on gear that I thought was buy once cry once and would last a few years at least, just to find out that is often not the case. Your posts on this stuff sort of confirmed what I was beginning to realize but didn’t have the experience or sample size to confirm myself. Outside of maybe hardshell rain gear , I’ll be transitioning to mostly natural fibers and down for everything.

Beendare

WKR
Thanks for the detailed write up Form…that had to take some time.

I hunt in only archery seasons no late rifle…thus I can get by with less.

I will file this away for the day when I buy a rifle to do my part on Wolves- grin

Nope and nope. The are four clips that have to be added to the pack for them to work. SG might be able to mod your pack though.

do the x-curve stays fit in the R3 pack to give it some curvature? I can't see a flat pack working with my back....

wnelson14

WKR
do the x-curve stays fit in the R3 pack to give it some curvature? I can't see a flat pack working with my back....
I listened to a Podcast with SG recently (Go Hunt Podcast), and they mentioned most people that they fit in person prefer the evo frame to the xcurve, I believe most of the employees also use the evo. I cannot remember exactly, why but it made a lot of sense when I listened to it.

Hagas4all

FNG
@Formidilosus does/dis the sea to summit bladder make your water taste like rubber?

Have tried the dromedary and Hydrapak. Both are nasty. Only bladder I found that does not make water taste bad is platypus and those have leaked in my bag multiple times. Hate it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus does/dis the sea to summit bladder make your water taste like rubber?

Have tried the dromedary and Hydrapak. Both are nasty. Only bladder I found that does not make water taste bad is platypus and those have leaked in my bag multiple times. Hate it.
Yes I have tried those, I haven’t noticed any taste with the Watercell.

sivart

WKR
I tried and liked the Krux frame, but when came to full draw, my shoulders would pull the frame noticeably away from my back. Could never get used to shooting w/ it. Wondering if the Xcurve would be better with this? My EXO feels great shooting, but I really prefer the SG bag.