My elk bowhunting soapbox.

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
This is for beginner or novice archery elk hunters. There are many who have killed more bulls with a bow than I. But, I have killed far far more bulls than my share considering the statistics associated with bowhunting for elk over the last 33 years. I enjoy watching hunts on You Tube, but I swear watching can do more harm than good for beginners. I leave to hunt the month of September out west on the 29th. Yes, I get excited and watch videos. Over the last 48 hours I have seen too many videos talking about how hunters took 75 yard shots, 80 yard shots, etc etc. If you are starting to bowhunt for elk take these points under advisement. You don’t have to agree with any or all, just think about them.
1. Just because your bow will shoot fast and is capable of shooting 90 yards does not mean you can;
2. When you watch a guy take a shot at an elk on You Tube wearing a 6,500 cubic inch pack, a bino harness, and with a quiver hanging off the side of his bow keep in mind he has dramatically decreased his chances of making a good shot or even the same shot he is capable of making in his back yard. Pack weight and the quiver are changing his form and the performance of the bow. If you can, lose the pack when you get in close (I know that it not always possible). I also know that in 33 years of chasing elk, I have NEVER chased one with more than an 1,800 cubic in pack on may back. The Mountain EXO 1800 with K3 frame is my go to these days. Ask yourself do I need that big of a pack. Next, back in the day Chuck Adams and lots of other bowhunters carried a side hip quiver because they knew a quiver full of arrows changed how their bow shot. More importantly, the bow is never as accurate with the quiver on the side or you would see it at national field and 3D archery tournaments. In WFA (formerly FITA when I competed), you don’t see the archers hang one on the side of their recurves either.
3. If you have the kentic energy for good penetration, then yes you can kill elk with mechanicals. I would rather see you use them than fixed heads if you don’t know how or are unwilling to take the time to tune fixed heads. But, just because some guy shot a bull in the guts at 70 yards on You Tube and found it 3 days later does not mean, mechanicals work, he made a good shot, or that he should be proud of himself. In the vide I watched they lost all the meat and no doubt the bull suffered unnecessarily.

Okay all done here. Wish you all the very best luck.

Good points. To keep myself in tune as far as shooting goes, I always practice with a full quiver. I also practice with a pack on. Practice how you will be hunting.

Personally, I will not take my quiver off. Ever. And the only time my pack comes off is if I'm taking a break.

As far as mechanicals vs fixed goes, I don't care what someone else uses. I'm using fixed cut on contact heads.

However for those who use mechanicals and can't broadhead tune, even though the mechanical hits the target in the yard where you aim, if that bow or arrow or both aren't tuned, be advised that arrow could or likely will hit at odd angles causing malfunctions and penetration issues. Thus blaming the failure on the broadhead instead of themselves for not properly tuning their bow and or arrows or both. Same holds true for fixed heads. The shooter obviously has to be in tune as well. If all components are in tune and shooting is like breathing, we are more apt to make great shots instead of wondering what just happened.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Eco above.

Haven't taken my quiver off to hunt in 20 plus years. Don't plan on starting.
All good 98 percent of people do. All I am saying is you will shoot better with it off since so many seem to stretch yardage today. I use a PSE HIP QUIVER FROM PROBABLY 1991. It is literally a flat piece of metal with slots for your belt to slide through. It orignally had a bracket a PSE bow quiver mounted to. I have modified mine to use the super short mathews quiver with from a few years ago. Not sure why someone doesnt make a good hip quiver for spot and stalk.

Jaquomo

WKR
I tried a Catquiver for a couple years, the Tom Miranda method, and didn't ever get used to fumbling around with exposed broadheads I couldn't see. I've shot with a bow quiver for over a half century, on every kind of bow, and just practice with it

Elkhntr08

WKR
Hunt with a frame and a couple pouches to carry the essentials for the day, kill kit, first aid kit and water. Comes in at less than 10#.
Have a Trautman hip quiver that’s older than dirt. It’s been reworked over the years and I like it. Unfortunately, it’s hits the load shelf on the pack, so I leave the quiver on my bow. Practice like this year round.
I practice every day, every day, out to 60 yards. Furthest shot on an animal has bee 42 yards in 40+ years of bowhunting. My 3D targets don’t have a heartbeat and don’t decide it’s time to move. Practicing at 60 makes 30 easier.

Maxhunter

WKR
I’ve used a hip quiver for over 40 plus years. I just don’t like the extra weight and the wind can affect your accuracy. Living in WY wind is a normal everyday event.

YouTube videos are fun to watch but too many are desperate to fill there tag and take long pokes at animals. It gives new hunters bad information. Are there folks that can take longer shots and make lethal kills yes, but most Bowhunters can’t because they don’t have the form or practice enough. I hate when someone states the animals was so big I had to take the shot. They took the shot to get instant gratification. Long shots are for the range or TAC events imo. I’ve heard it many times. IMO elk are usually killed at 35yds or less in my talking to other hunters.

Here’s my Trautman hip quiver.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    636 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 73
I can’t even imagine hunting without a quiver attached on my bow. It stays attached all year long since it’s a two piece. I’ve shot with it on and off and it has never affected accuracy. My pack stays on unless I stop for a fuel brake or a possible mule deer or antelope stalk for the last 50 yds or so. Even then it will probably stay on unless I have to crawl. I’ve lost my pack before for a few hours. Never take off my boots for a stalk either.

cnelk

WKR
Ive had the same quiver on my bow for 25 years. The only time it come off is when Im in a tree stand over a wallow or elk trail.

I’ve killed several bulls with my pack on and quiver attached and I shoot TAC and several other hiking type archery shoots every year with my pack on and quiver attached as well. Elk hunting happens quick and I always wanted to have everything on me. I use a 6000 CI pack for all my hunting and it’s never been a hindrance to me. Having to hike back to the truck to get a pack to pack out my elk would be far worse in my mind.

Bowhunting isn't about shooting something with a bow. It's about getting close enough to be able to shoot something with a bow.

The thrill and challenge is in getting close for me.
I’ve weighed alot of components though and done the comparisons and the only time I noticed issues with accuracy corresponding with inconsistent weights was with broadheads. I came to the conclusion though that was more a sign of the quality of the manufacturing that led to inconsistent tolerances and that’s what believe caused the inaccuracy.

You put a lot of thought into your "soapbox" address. More than I would've.

I do what I do because it works.

I once misplaced my pack once when looking for a downed elk. That was stupid to take it off because I didn't want to carry it while looking for the elk I already knew was down.

Kinetic energy is meaningless in archery and the KE "required" to open blades is miniscule.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I would add photos of my hip quiver.

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 68
OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
You put a lot of thought into your "soapbox" address. More than I would've.

I do what I do because it works.

I once misplaced my pack once when looking for a downed elk. That was stupid to take it off because I didn't want to carry it while looking for the elk I already knew was down.

Kinetic energy is meaningless in archery and the KE "required" to open blades is miniscule.
Well you sound like an expert so my post was not directed to you. If you will look closely I used words like “beginner” and “novice”, not expert, know it all or worlds greatest.

Well you sound like an expert so my post was not directed to you. If you will look closely I used words like “beginner” and “novice”, not expert, know it all or worlds greatest.

Sounds like and is are two entirely different things and I am neither of them.

I just don't think a lot of the stuff we think is important really is...