My 2020 September Elk Hunting Gear List *updated after recomendations

hntr

FNG
My first backpack archery hunt. FEEL FREE TO CRITIQUE (late September)
SKRE Early Season Bundle-hardscrabble Jacket, pant, kaibab merino top, hiline hat-$352
SKRE Timber Hitch Belt- $20
(propably keep in the truck) Black Ovis NWT 250 Heavyweight Merino 1/4 zip- $93/99 (camofire)
Black Ovis NWT 200 G 3/4 Midweigh Merino Bottom- $39.99 (camofire)
Feider Men's Hiking Socks, wicking cushioned crew socks 5 pack- $19.99 (Amazon) (taking 3 pair)
Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX 6" Goretex Hiking Boots- $164.95 (Midway USA)
Kelty Stardust 15 degree sleeping bag-$69.95 (amazon)
Western Owl Self Inflating Sleeping pad- $39 (amazon)
Mountainsmith Lichen Peak Tent: 1 person 3 season- $124.97 (Steep & Cheap)
Pillow Case (Instead of buying a lightweight pillow I will stuff clothing I won't be wearing in pillow case)
JetBoil Flash- $94.99 (Amazon)
Primus 450g power gas canister 16 oz- $22.50 (Amazon)
Food (diy vacuum sealed meals will be separate post)
Adak Bino Harness (has rangefinder pouch too)- $79 (camofire)
Binos-Vortex Diamondback 10x50 (not bad for the price, but I would recommend a nicer 10x42 bino)
Leica RangeMaster CRF 2400-R- $499 Sport Optics
Select Hex tools pcs
Bow- Hoyt CRX 32
Quiver- G5 Head-Loc Quiver 6 arrow- $39.97 (Big Supply Shop)
Sight- Spot Hogg 7 Deadly Pins Cam Hanes edition
Arrows- Easton Bloodline 400 Spine
Broadheads- G5 Montec 100 gr
Fuse Release
Pack- Older Cabelas frame pack. don't know the details.
Water Purifier- Katadyn Hiker Pro Transparent Micro filter- $76.46 (campsaver.com)
Bic Lighters
Chapstick
small first aid
OnX Maps
Anker Powercore 20100mAh- $45.99 (Amazon)
pack of wet wipes
Koola buck xl game bags
Haven't decided on cow call or knife

Last edited:
OP
H

hntr

FNG
I’ll take the subalpine face mask.
none of it is for sale. I just posted for people bc I have spent hours looking for gear to compile for this hunt. Figured it could help some people. Also want to know if anyone has had bad luck with any of this gear.

fatlander

WKR
Leave the face mask at home.

That pad is heavy and looks mighty thin

You only need one pair of pants

You only need the merino hoody, puffy, and rain coat

You only need two pairs of socks

Never heard of that cook set. Seems like a lot of extra stuff you don’t need.

No mention of a light weight beanie or light gloves

No mention of emergency fire starter

No mention of kill kit (game bags, knife, cordage, and optional ground sheet)

No mention of headlamp or spare batteries

Body glide, Leuko tape, Advil and ear plugs would be on my list as well.

I’d suggest loading up all your gear and doing a couple trial runs over the next couple weekends. Really helps you see what you don’t need and where you’re lacking on other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
If your hex tool is the folding one with multiple size allen wrenches like I'm thinking, you may be able by a set of loose wrenches and just select the few individual ones you need to save some weight. I know the one keep in my bow case is way heavier than the few wrenches I keep in my misc. kit.

OP
H

hntr

FNG
Leave the face mask at home.

That pad is heavy and looks mighty thin

You only need one pair of pants

You only need the merino hoody, puffy, and rain coat

You only need two pairs of socks

Never heard of that cook set. Seems like a lot of extra stuff you don’t need.

No mention of a light weight beanie or light gloves

No mention of emergency fire starter

No mention of kill kit (game bags, knife, cordage, and optional ground sheet)

No mention of headlamp or spare batteries

Body glide, Leuko tape, Advil and ear plugs would be on my list as well.

I’d suggest loading up all your gear and doing a couple trial runs over the next couple weekends. Really helps you see what you don’t need and where you’re lacking on other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to put somethings. That pad I had bought a few years back, def not the best. Yes, I need to add beanie and gloves. the camp set, I agree, I won't be taking everything in it. Just good price overall. Game bags the local high school sells these heavy trash bags kitchen size for fundraisers, i'll bring those. dad has used in the past and they work great. knife- I decided to go with a razor pack. para cord is a must, headlamp is a must! Thanks for the input. It is nice to get feedback from people who have been there done that!!

TX_Diver

WKR
I wouldn't rely heavily on the Frogg Toggs rain stuff and think the cook stuff is excessive (and probably of questionable quality)

I like a lightweight facemask/gaiter but mainly for sun protection rather than stealth/camo.

I would add TP to the list along with stuff to butcher an animal.

Post where you're going (approximate elevation, mountain range, dates, etc.) and people could probably help provide better feedback.

I'd personally be leery of using a 30° rated sleeping bag. I use a 0° bag on my archery elk hunts in Colorado (around 10,000' elevation) where overnight temperatures routinely drop below freezing. 0° is probably a bit overkill for those conditions, but I also use that bag for colder conditions and didn't want to buy multiple bags. Temperature ratings are useful for comparing different bags, but the ratings don't necessarily mean that a particular bag will be warm enough for you at that temperature. The only real way to find out if it's right for you is to try it out though.

Game bags the local high school sells these heavy trash bags kitchen size for fundraisers, i'll bring those. dad has used in the past and they work great.
I'd have two concerns about using trash bags as game bags:
1) Will they allow airflow to help cool the meat off and prevent moisture from condensing inside the bag? Every trash bag I've ever seen is made of airtight plastic.
2) Are they heavy duty enough to support the weight of an elk quarter (easily 50+ lbs) without ripping? I suppose you could cut the quarters into smaller pieces to stay within the weight limits of these bags, but that's more work in the field and will reduce your final meat yield.

Where, what dates, what type of hunt (backpack, truck camp, solo, ect), elevation?

Your gear list could be fine for a a solo guy doing a truck camp, but way over kill for a backcountry 2-3 night trip with a few other people.

More info will get you better answers

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you planning on taking all of that with you for the entire hunt? You have 2 pairs of pants, 2 tops, and a lower baselayer. You only need one pair of pants and one shirt if you are hauling that all in and if you are hunting early-mid September you shouldn't need a lower base layer at all. I have an extremely light pair of rain pants I take with me as a windbreak for when I'm sitting still.

Like others have said, only bring one pair of pants and I would also scrap the merino base layer bottoms unless you are hunting the last week in September or so. For your cookware you really only need one pot and a spoon (preferably a long handled one).

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
More importantly than the cost of these items, how much does it all weigh? How far are you packing in? How many nights are you staying out?

I always run a 0° bag in the mountains. In my experience of using cheap inflatable pads the air in them gets real cold. If I ever run an inflatable again it'll be a nice thermarest. Otherwise I stick to foam thermarest. Plus you can't puncture the foam pad.

I like the pillow idea, but I usually shove my clothes into the bag hood as my pillow. Puffy jackets make excellent pillows, but with a 30° bag you might be wearing it. You can always use a game bag instead of a pillow case if your heart is set on it. Multi purpose.

Cookset. I like having one pot big enough to hold my fuel canister to save space. Then that pot can do whatever I need.

Extra clothes aren't bad at the truck, but wouldn't pack in too much. I think longjohns are personal preference. Sock liners are nice if you're worried about rank feet. I usually wear Fox River liners then my normal merino socks. Then one more pair of socks in my pack.

Last edited:
OP
H

hntr

FNG
On the cookware as mentioned above, not taking the whole thing. Just the essentials. I just bought it bc It had the pot/utensils/stand all in one. We are doing a Was just a good price. I'm gonna dump the wrangler pants. Me and two other guys are doing a 7 day backpack hunt. Last full week of September. Haven't got it all in to weigh yet. Everything I chose was the lightest/best quality I could afford for the budget.

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like you've got a great gear list already. Lots of great insight from folks already. I'll be borrowing from this for my gear list, albeit with some alterations for a late October rifle hunt. Good luck!