Muzzy optics

What’s some opinions on duplex 1x scopes opposed to red dots. I’ve honestly never had either on a rifle. Does one do better in early light? Target acquisition might be quicker with a red dot due to large field of view?

AC300win

FNG
I’m experimenting with both getting ready for an elk hunt. I really like my 1x scope except for thick cross hair which completely covers a 2” dot at 150 yards. Marginal view in low light at longer distance but consistent out to 150.

Working with a Leupold rds bdc now and the 34mm tube is better with my eyes at longer distances and low light. Aiming precision is awesome with ability to turn dot size down in lower lighting conditions. Bright light condition require increased dot size and dot distortion. Been calibrating the bdc turret out to 300 and I think it is going to be acceptable but definitely requires testing for confidence..

So far scope is reliable and maintaining zero so far. Trade offs with either scope but I am really liking the red dot over the 1x scope

AC300win

FNG
I would recommend a high quality rifle scope, unfortunately not a lot of options. Go to a good shop and have your lucky wife look through the various options.

Rear peep with globe is a great and reliable alternative.

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
Unfortunately there are not many options out there for a 1X scope unless you check the used market. Im in the same position for my UT deer hunt. I have a 1X Sightron right now but may try a dot/Prism.

OP
muleyapprentice
I would recommend a high quality rifle scope, unfortunately not a lot of options. Go to a good shop and have your lucky wife look through the various options.

I’m a little thrown off, your

I’m a little thrown off, you are switching to the Leupold red dot, you are enjoying it in varying lighting conditions and you recommend a scope, why?

AC300win

FNG
Miuley, I should have explained myself better

I have a 1x scope, the leupold rds bdc red dot and a peep with globe.

I went to red dot to try and get more precision at longer range. The 2 moa crosshair on most/all current 1x scopes limits ability to aim with precision. I like peep/globe sight best but struggling with aging eyes.

I do like to the red dot and shoot it well. In right lighting I can shoot close to MOA out to 300 yards.

This is my first red dot.

Likes: ability to change dot size for given light condition. In right light you can dial it down to a spec and shoot with precision. Turret is a nice feature to be able to hold on spot. Decent light gathering with both eyes open.

Things I don’t like about red dot is dot distortion in brighter lighting conditions and/or evenings when needing to aim in westerly direction which can create dot distortion. Despite this, I’m planning on going with the red dot as I think overall it is a very good option.

I see you picked one up as backup, I think you will be pleased for the price point. Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
muleyapprentice
Miuley, I should have explained myself better

I have a 1x scope, the leupold rds bdc red dot and a peep with globe.

I went to red dot to try and get more precision at longer range. The 2 moa crosshair on most/all current 1x scopes limits ability to aim with precision. I like peep/globe sight best but struggling with aging eyes.

I do like to the red dot and shoot it well. In right lighting I can shoot close to MOA out to 300 yards.

This is my first red dot.

Likes: ability to change dot size for given light condition. In right light you can dial it down to a spec and shoot with precision. Turret is a nice feature to be able to hold on spot. Decent light gathering with both eyes open.

Things I don’t like about red dot is dot distortion in brighter lighting conditions and/or evenings when needing to aim in westerly direction which can create dot distortion. Despite this, I’m planning on going with the red dot as I think overall it is a very good option.

I see you picked one up as backup, I think you will be pleased for the price point. Hope this helps
That does make sense, I like the pros you listed. I appreciate your response and explanation!