Muzzle brake - worth it?

Echo

FNG
I’ve never shot a braked gun but have recently been considering it. I bought a 6.8 western that came with a radial brake included. I haven’t shot the gun yet but I’m wondering if the recoil reduction from the brake is worth the increased sound?

WRO

WKR
I ran a bunch, I don't like radials.. I've ran slabs, like them better but I love my ptg v brake in breaks. Suppressed trumps all.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

It took one shot using a break without ear protection to know I would never use one again. I forgot to put on my ear protection once. You just never know what will happen in a hunting situation and to me its just not worth the risk I will forget again.

OP
Echo

Echo

FNG
It took one shot using a break without ear protection to know I would never use one again. I forgot to put on my ear protection once. You just never know what will happen in a hunting situation and to me its just not worth the risk I will forget again.
That’s exactly what I was thinking - thanks for sharing your experience

Tullis94

WKR
I was anti brake for a long time because of the extra noise. Now I have everything threaded for a brake. When shooting in a non hunting situation I always wear earplugs so it is a non issue. When hunting I have shot my rifles with breaks a lot with no hearing protection. I am always so amped up I never notice it being louder. I am sure it is hard on my hearing. I need to be better about having earplugs around my neck and ready.

Now about the radial brake. Imo they suck! My dad has two 7mm practicalss. One has a ross brakes 4 port brake and is 9.5 pounds. The second is 12.7 pounds and has a harrels radial brake. The 9.5 pound rifle has noticeably less recoil. If you decide to use a brake buy one with side ports and ditch the radial.

Reactions: WRO
I think they are very useful in many scenarios… I put a brake on a rifle recently, and it’s weird shooting it, like no recoil at all… that rifle will be used by my wife and daughter, as impressive as a brake is, I don’t want to deal with it

I think a suppressor is the way to go, but if it’s a rifle that doesn’t bother me to shoot, I don’t care that much

If I ever have a niche for something big (30 cal/338magnum) I would brake it, but that wouldn’t be an every day rifle, it would have a specific niche.

Depends on how you feel about your rifle… if the recoil is manageable, I don’t think it’s worth it, if your rifle gets uncomfortable to shoot, I think the brake is a better option, get some handy ear protection and use it every single time in the woods and get more substantial ear protection for the range… it’s that simple to me

I got my wife some electric ear bud type hearing protection for hunting, they easily fit in her bino harness and I can still communicate with her right up to the shot and after

WRO

WKR
Wrong break will do that, radials are the worst for that.

Devin

FNG
I have a Browning in 7RM that came threaded with the radial brake. I've shot it back to back with and without the brake. It's crazy how much it reduces recoil. At the range I'll use the brake, but in the field I use the thread protector. I've never much noticed recoil when firing at game. Excitement I guess.

11boo

WKR
I have a 300WM that was brutal on the recoil. Threaded it and got a locally made brake. Huge difference in recoil, and noise.

MHWASH

WKR
One thing to keep in mind is sight picture at the time of the shot. If you are by yourself, it’s nice to be able to see the animals reaction. They don’t always die right there. With a heavier recoiling rifle, a brake can greatly help with this.

Me personally - I use brakes on the harder kickers. I want to enjoy shooting the rifles, if I don’t enjoy bringing it out to shoot it has no place in my safe. I know these comments bring out the “macho” guys who claim that they enjoy shooting their 6lb 300wm. What many never mention is the massive flinch they’ve developed, and somehow there’s always a branch in the way that sends the bullet into a clean miss or worse.

With that said… they are harder on your hearing - but so is shooting damn near anything without hearing protection. I already lost a bunch of hearing in my youth so plugs go in 100% of the time hunting or not. In my opinion and experience, “not having enough time to put plugs in” isn’t a thing as ever animal I’ve shot I’ve had way more time to make the shot than I thought I would.

I have a Browning in 7RM that came threaded with the radial brake. I've shot it back to back with and without the brake. It's crazy how much it reduces recoil. At the range I'll use the brake, but in the field I use the thread protector. I've never much noticed recoil when firing at game. Excitement I guess.
does it shoot the same? i saw about a 3.5" shift in POI at 100yds with the brake i put on, so taking it on and off for range/hunting isn't a practical solution

i was intrigued years ago with the brake on some savage rifles that you could turn off and on... no clue on how well that concept works, but i did like the idea of it.... must not be ideal or we would see more of them... if there was a good brake that worked that way, i would probably consider a brake on most of my rifles.

i think the first time i shoot a rifle with a suppressor will be the beginning of a spending spree, i do think they are likely game changing.... no downside besides a little weight (some pre planning can mitigate that) a wait, and the cost..... i do think all of those things are very much worth the function though

I was anti brake for a long time because of the extra noise. Now I have everything threaded for a brake. When shooting in a non hunting situation I always wear earplugs so it is a non issue. When hunting I have shot my rifles with breaks a lot with no hearing protection. I am always so amped up I never notice it being louder. I am sure it is hard on my hearing. I need to be better about having earplugs around my neck
Be careful man it might not seem terrible shooting braked in a hunting scenario without earpro but it's going to do serious damage to your hearing.
I had a guy torch off a braked M60 next to me in a training scenario and I have permanent tinnitus.
I'll use a brake in open country long range scenarios but for anything else I've gone suppressed, best shit ton of money I ever spent😉

WRO

WKR
Be careful man it might not seem terrible shooting braked in a hunting scenario without earpro but it's going to do serious damage to your hearing.
I had a guy torch off a braked M60 next to me in a training scenario and I have permanent tinnitus.
I'll use a brake in open country long range scenarios but for anything else I've gone suppressed, best shit ton of money I ever spent
I shot a coyote at 1463 suppressed, the only rifle I don't shoot suppressed is my big 300.

WRO

WKR
I'll use a brake in open country long range scenarios but for anything else I've gone suppressed, best shit ton of money I ever spent
I shot a coyote at 1463 suppressed, the only rifle I don't shoot suppressed is my big 300.

WRM

WKR
At the range I'll use the brake, but in the field I use the thread protector. I've never much noticed recoil when firing at game. Excitement I guess.

^This^. Great for the range, but I never use a brake hunting. And, I've never noticed recoil (or noise, really) in the field.

While I own suppressors, the marked increase in hunting usage escapes me. Not worth it, IMO. I'd make an exception for long range predator hunting with multiple targets (prairie dogs, for example). But I have no access to that.

I used to use muzzle brakes for shooting and a bit of hunting. I really liked the Insite Arms Heathen for good recoil reduction without the same concussion as something like an APA Little Bastard. But to be honest you should get a suppressor as soon as humanly possible. You'll never go back.

rayporter

WKR
i have several varmint rifles with brakes of various kinds. all are loud. but at a bench i have plenty of time to put on double ear protection. i forgot once with a 221 fireball pistol and will not do that again.

my 300 win mag will shake your clothes and make your head hurt with your fingers in your ears when spotting for it. but it is a pussy cat to shoot. shooting it without ear pro would be serious damage to hearing. fast.